Hosting Companies List 2013

hosting vpn vps cloud storage hosted exchange seedbox

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:39

Starting this thread after talk of the old thread http://www.neowin.ne...wins-top-hosts/ came up in discussion in the web section. That old thread is too big and dated to be of actual use in providing reference to what hosts Neowin members might recommend for whatever reason. 

So would like to start a new thread where members may list hosting companies they use, and their take and use of them. This thread well be reset every year to help keep it somewhat current.

When that other thread started most "hosting was basically just web hosting. Now there are lots of different services/features/uses for having control or space to use outside of your home connection.

Yes hosting still used for serving up http, but you also have hosted exchange, storage, vpn, shell access, vps be it KVM or dedicated hardware, seedboxes for p2p, etc.

Keep in mind no referral links please, and no discussion of discounts or PM for special link, etc. Please only post a host here that you are happy with, and would feel comfortable with recommending to your fellow neowin users with no benefit to you other than that glowing feeling of helping.  Links here in no way reflect endorsement by neowin proper.

I suggest you Start your posts with

Name/Link:
Major Features:
Customer Since/Time:
How you use/review:

I will request moderation of posts that seem to be spam, and while "seedboxes" may be a valid hosting option and quite legal in many parts of the world, lets keep discussion of your use clean and within the guidelines of neowin policy, etc.

#2 OP +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:46

Name/Link: http://www.dreamhost.com/
Major Features: Pretty much unlimited everything, multishop provider of hosting services. IPv6, SSL (free option SNI)
Customer Since/Time: 2006-08-30
How you use/review: This is my do whatever I want/need to do site.  Host my personal sites, run owncloud on it. Serve up site for friends and family for pictures/video's of grand daughter, etc.  I have a shared hosting account with them that costs $119.40 yearly

Have been very happy with service/support and pretty much nothing you can not do with what they provide you for a very reasonable cost.  Even host some sites for friends here that don't really understand hosting and just needed some space, etc.  Can not recommend them enough - great provider.

#3 OP +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:55

Name/Link: http://buyvm.net/
Major Features: vps provider, choose from lowend to highend needs.  IPv6, lots of virtual appliances/oses to install
Customer Since/Time: 08/17/2012
How you use/review: I mostly use this as low cost shell/vpn $15 a year!!  Currently running an openvpn-as appliance on it.  But from shell I can do networking testing for latency, dns, etc. from west cost.  I keep meaning to add another one of their vps on the east cost, etc.

Very happy with service and performance.  For $15 get 15GB of storage and 500GB a month, very handy as a roll your own vpn, etc.

Keep in mind that the lowend vps can be hard to be in stock, you might have to keep an eye out for when new stock opens -- follow them on twitter helps to know when stock is available.

#4 OP +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 17:59

Name/Link: https://www.feralhosting.com
Major Features: Seedbox - great performance, great package options.  Server ready in minutes after signup
Customer Since/Time: February 24, 2013
How you use/review: Seedbox, I currently am on their lowest end package £10 /month, this gets you 400GB of storage and 2TB upload a month.. Unlimited download and speeds just scream!!

I am currently on just month to month payment, which is nice for such a service - you can pay upfront and get discounts and or added services, etc.  Very simple to test out and if don't like your only out 10 quid, etc.

#5 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 18:29

Name/Link: Liquidweb
Major Features: Shared hosting, vps (managed/unmanaged), dedicated
Customer Since/Time: Around 2010 (Shared), July 2013 (vps)
How you use/review: Our company used the shared hosting. Small company, but out grew that, so they moved to a vps. For shared, he was paying about $30/m, and currently paying about $80/m I think. Went the managed route. I'm their tech guy, but never managed a server besides a small home one, so wanted to make sure we had support. Home server goes down, oh well. Business server goes down, the company loses money lol They set everything up for us, and made sure things were working properly before switching us from shared to vps. 

Customer service has been helpful. Rarely on hold for longer than 5 minutes, and they are quick to fix any problems. We had a problem with them for a short while, our server kept going down, but they fixed it somewhat quickly. Then switched to the vps, and haven't had any problems (Besides a typo in our custom php.ini file, but that was my fault lol)

#6 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:21

I would like a Linux box so I can do Kernel Compiling etc, I am going to hopefully build some Kernels for Android. Which one would you recommend Budman?

#7 MD - Design

MD - Design

I ♥ Logo Design

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:52

Name/Link: Minty Internet www.mintyinternet.com
Major Features: Web Hosting, Cloud Storage, Disaster Recovery, Online Backup, VPS
Customer Since/Time: Launch Date (15th Jan 2014)
How you use/review: I am currently using Minty Internets cloud service to back up all my data, It is really fast and has never been down for me even this early to there launch.

#8 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:27

Name/Link: http://www.tagadab.com/ Tagadab
Major Features: £1 Hosting Trial
Customer Since/Time: Last Year Sometime. 
How you use/review:Excellent Technical Support, Very fast at responding to tickets. Tor can be used as an exit note on a Dedicated box not on VPS or other server. Very easy to customize. Servers are rock solid and fast backbone in the UK. 

Name/Link: https://www.feralhosting.com
Major Features: Seedbox - great performance, great package options.  Server ready in minutes after signup
Customer Since/Time: February 24, 2013
How you use/review: Seedbox, I currently am on their lowest end package £10 /month, this gets you 400GB of storage and 2TB upload a month.. Unlimited download and speeds just scream!!

I am currently on just month to month payment, which is nice for such a service - you can pay upfront and get discounts and or added services, etc.  Very simple to test out and if don't like your only out 10 quid, etc.

Plus One for this. 

#9 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:31

Major Features: Targeted at Student hosting personal projects and Minecraft Users
Customer Since/Time: Last Year
How you use/review: Simple to set up to host student projects for Website Design. UK Support is excellent. 

I thought I posted in the wrong thread here, I am guessing for 2014 most of these company's listed have only matured....Keep up the good work. All my links are relevant for July 2014. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!