california bank of america surveillance video bank mistake karma

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:46

FRESNO, CA (KTRK) -- It's safe to say we could all use a little extra cash. But imagine going to your ATM, withdrawing money and getting more than double the amount you asked for.

The ATM at Bank of America in Fresno, California gave away $50 bills instead of $20 bills all day Saturday.

The bank isn't saying how much money was accidentally given away or what went wrong, but it's likely someone put the $50 in the $20 slot. Now the big question, should those customers give the money back?

"It was the machine, it was their bank mistake," said Bank of America customer Daniel Salas. "I don't think they should give the money back."

"I think it's better to do the right thing because eventually karma is going to get back to you," said another customer Martin Arce.

The bank says it has surveillance video and the personal information of all the customers who walked away with extra cash and it plans to get its money back.

source & video

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,911 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:52

I guess there's some stipulation that if a bank makes an error in your favor you aren't liable to give it back but I guess I would probably give it back though.

If I was there that day though i'd prolly be pulling out hundreds from my account just for the hell of it. LOL.

--------------
OK I lied, it's not the case anymore or maybe never was? I could have sworn there was something about that though somewhere!

Edited by SHoTTa35, 07 November 2013 - 00:57.

#3 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:53

If it were a smaller bank, I would consider giving the money back, but as for Bank of America I would not.

#4 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:53

"All of this has happened before and it will all happen again" - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

The bank updates the withdrawal to account for $50's and debits the account for the correct amount withdrawn. The rules are very clear on this.

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:54

I got some extra $50s, then ordered on-line from Wal-Mart :p

#6 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:58

I guess there's some stipulation that if a bank makes an error in your favor you aren't liable to give it back

I wish, but no. If you asked to take out $100 and got $250 instead, your withdrawal will be $250.

#7 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• 7,295 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:10

I wish, but no. If you asked to take out $100 and got $250 instead, your withdrawal will be $250.

No it would not, because you will have a receipt for $100 and anything else is insubstantial.    You are not responsible to correct their mistakes.    IMO.

I would like to hear the proper legal opinion on this.

#8 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,336 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:32

No it would not, because you will have a receipt for $100 and anything else is insubstantial.    You are not responsible to correct their mistakes.    IMO.

Legally it falls under the "if you asked for $100" and got $250" then obviously it wasn't working correctly issues and you should have reported it. It's going to be hard to prove 100% that everyone checked their money prior to leaving, kind of like getting change back at the store and you realize when you get home they gave you a $20 instead of a $5.

Either way, they received the money, likely Bank of America will debit each account the proper amount and you know by now the people who got extra money have realized it. So it's on them to put the money back in their account and not be thieves, some of them will likely over-draw their account. They will probably just go in the bank and if they haven't spent the money yet, re-deposit it and they will waive the fees. The other's who went on a shopping spree knowing the money wasn't supposed to come out like that, deserve everything they get.

#9 AngryOldPerson

AngryOldPerson

all hail pirate minion

• 450 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:33

in the very small fine print it's stated that BoA is not responsible for errors and reserves the right to correct them when they occur...turns out bank error in your favor only really happens in monopoly

#10 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:42

turns out bank error in your favor only really happens in monopoly

Yes, but so does going back 3 spaces :p

#11 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,645 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:36

Bank of the America is the McDonalds of banks in the USA, a few thousand dollars isn't going to put them in hock, they might as well just let it slide.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:10

Not if ...someone put the $50 in the $20 slot.

#13 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:56

Not if ...someone put the $50 in the $20 slot.

Irrelevant, you withdrew $250, the bank will debit you $250.

If you want to dispute it, then that's fine. The bank will haul you into court, show the dispenser loaded with $50s, show a record of your withdrawal that used that dispenser and a video of you at the ATM with $50 bills. After you lose, then they decide if they want to file criminal charges, in which they'll show the same evidence.

#14 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 17:03

ATM receipts are worthless. Seriously, ask your bank, they won't honor their own ATM receipts as a transaction record.

#15 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,785 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 17:05

Good Guy ATM