texas cafeteria server policy school districts replenish account

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 735 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:25

Just pop the food in the fridge. When the parent comes and pays, hey presto. Food for child, money for school, everyone happy.

#17 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,627 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:31

Surely the schools/cafeteria could extend 1 dollar in credit for such lapses.

Common sense and schools don't mix well.

*most* US schools already do this for low income families.  They, however, hold the child's final grades until the balance is paid. If not paid, then it is collected while registering for the next year.

#18 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,195 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:39

1. Why isn't her son having his breakfast at home, before he goes to school?

2. Seriously? They decided it was better to THROW THE FOOD IN THE GARBAGE, thus wasting food and the money it cost to produce, that just giving it to a hungry kid and sorting it out with his mother later?  Someone needs to take a seriously look at their policies, because that's a huge waste of money if it happens often.

1. I agree, When i was in school they only offered lunch. We always ate our breakfast at home prior to leaving for school.

2. I have nothing more to add. you hit it spot on.

#19 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,291 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:42

So 30c is more important for a positive student account, than the fact of waisting a perfectly cooked meal that someone in another poorer counrty would give their left nutsack for? Right gotcha, seems to make perfect sense /s

Also this mother is at fault. She needs to 

1. tell the child to check on the balance daily

2. report back to her

3. plan how much it will cost her a month

4. keep overall track, and provide him with a backup like a fruit and nutbar, or something similar but small

Jeez really parents, the logic isn't that hard. 

#20 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,333 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:47

1. I agree, When i was in school they only offered lunch. We always ate our breakfast at home prior to leaving for school.

So?  What does this prove?  When you were in a different school in a different place at a different time?  Well done you.

It's quite common now for schools to offer breakfast.  Mine did.  His did.  It allows kids to get a nice hot breakfast at a much reduced rate than their parents could ever provide.

#21 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• 493 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:51

I wonder what these schools teach to their kids about morality,

#22 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,968 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:57

Human beings make these decisions. Whoever threw the food away surely had 30 cents, but not a ounce of common sense and morality.

Edit: Ooops, Texas. Texas has a lot of good, and a lot of bad. Texas is Texas. I'd just move on from this one. You ain't changing Texas, just move to another district, city, or state.

#23 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,097 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:57

what you expect, its a dick school

#24 FrostAM

FrostAM

Neowinian

• 368 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:05

1. Why isn't her son having his breakfast at home, before he goes to school?

2. Seriously? They decided it was better to THROW THE FOOD IN THE GARBAGE, thus wasting food and the money it cost to produce, that just giving it to a hungry kid and sorting it out with his mother later?  Someone needs to take a seriously look at their policies, because that's a huge waste of money if it happens often.

I have a huge issue with this as well. It's waste of perfectly good food AND they sent a child to class hungry. Absolutely appalling. 

#25 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,014 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:22

I am fine with this...

#26 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,282 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:22

Hello,

Yes, this is perfectly normal. Sometimes, because of time and other things, you cannot have breakfast at home and have it at school before entering class.

I know Im going to flamed for this but the problem with this is that if one kid does it (owe 30 cents), then another and another and etc....It all adds up. Yup, it is tough but it clearly says that a verbal AND written reminder is sent so.....and the mother admits she forgot to fill it up.

I disagree with perfectly good food being thrown away but....

thanks for the reply, ive never come across that, i can see how it makes sense and as others have said if a child comes from a poor background it does ensure they get a good breakfast in the morning. 

#27 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:53

It's Texas.