• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:52

FYI the church has accepted the idea of off-world life for quite some time - just another zip code in creation.

There's still sects out there that don't believe that. Earth is Eden and there is no other. 

#17 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:00

If smart we'd leave them alone and just observe until they turn outwards and reach the SETI stage. We usually aren't that smart.

Laugh it off, but the Prime Directive from Star Trek would make alot of sense in this situation. Hell, take a bunch of info from TNG and make it into a space exploration directives guide book.

We're close to having fusion, "warp drive" may not be impossible and I've read some stories awhile back about energy shielding. Combine all of this with other tech advances and we're probably less than a 75~100 years away from a real Star Trek universe. Shame most of us will not live to see it :(

I think once we've mastered fusion power, everything else will fall into place.

#18 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,532 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:13

well, considering that people believed (before cars existed) that a man could not survive if traveled more than 60Km/h, i really can't even conceive the technological wonders we will have in 75 to 100 years from now.

Also don't know why some religious sectors can't live with the fact that we most likely aren't alone; heck, it doesn't change nothing!

And i think knowledge is one of the most fundamental things we, as humans, can achieve and possess; without it we are simply regarded to our most basic instincts and fears. having said that if we ever find a intelligent alien civilization we should leave them alone, hoping that they won't hunt us for sport or turning into a xenomorph and have us for lunch :woot:

#19 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:28

well, considering that people believed (before cars existed) that a man could not survive if traveled more than 60Km/h, i really can't even conceive the technological wonders we will have in 75 to 100 years from now.

Also don't know why some religious sectors can't live with the fact that we most likely aren't alone; heck, it doesn't change nothing!

And i think knowledge is one of the most fundamental things we, as humans, can achieve and possess; without it we are simply regarded to our most basic instincts and fears. having said that if we ever find a intelligent alien civilization we should leave them alone, hoping that they won't hunt us for sport or turning into a xenomorph and have us for lunch :woot:

I'm not in favor of establishing contact with any species we can't "own" if need be. It will not go well for us if we run into beings more advanced than us.

#20 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,532 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:44

I'm not in favor of establishing contact with any species we can't "own" if need be. It will not go well for us if we run into beings more advanced than us.

well, according to Star Trek (:D) that's not necessary true. Yes they might be a warrior society or a mixed one like humans or they can be so advanced that consider us a non-threat and even try to help us to evolve. Still, as Stephen Hawkings said about humans making contact with intelligent and advanced aliens: "might be a bit like the original inhabitants of America meeting Columbus. I don't think they were better off for it."

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 November 2013 - 21:33

An Enterprise would be nice, but I'll take the battlestar Galactica anyday.  :D

I honestly think BSG is closer to the type of FTL engines we'll have someday. I don't see man (or anything, really) actually travelling faster than light. Maybe we can push probes up to relativistic speeds, but certainly not faster than light.  

#22 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 21:40

NASA is moving forward research into quantum field thrusters & drives (Q-thrusters.) No propellant - the drive pushes against the quantum foam of spacetime itself.

#23 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 22:57

And then what? Go and visit them? Kind of far. I almost rather not know. It's far easier to deal with, "Is there life out there?", than it is to deal with, "There is life out there, and we're not smart enough to get to it...".

If we could develop a ship that could travel at 99% the speed of light, it would only take 80 years to reach the edge of the galaxy.

1 day on board a ship traveling at 99% the speed of light, would be the same as 1 year on Earth. - Nearing the cosmic speed limit slows time down.

#24 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,931 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:58

pffft .... It is already very clear, We are NOT Alone.

We never were.

:D

#25 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,938 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 00:57

If we could develop a ship that could travel at 99% the speed of light, it would only take 80 years to reach the edge of the galaxy.

1 day on board a ship traveling at 99% the speed of light, would be the same as 1 year on Earth. - Nearing the cosmic speed limit slows time down.

The edge of what galaxy? The closest edge to us in our Galaxy is about 10,000 - 15,000 light years away. Milky way is over 100,000 Light years in Diameter and we're about 2/3 out on one of the spiraling arms. At 100% light speed it'd take at least 10,000 years to reach the closest edge.

Where you got your number from I have no clue. It's a big place.

Also did some research on the effects of Time Dilation. 1 day on board a ship travelling at 99% the speed of light would be equivalent to approx. 20 days of Earth-time relative to the Astronaut. Not even close to one year.

#26 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 00:59

Where you got your number from I have no clue. It's a big place.

Stephen Hawkin.

#27 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,938 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:27

Stephen Hawkin.

I'm not claiming Stephen Hawkin is wrong, I'm just asking you to perform some really basic Math.

Diameter of Milky Way is 100,000 ly

Radius is 50,000 ly

we're about 35,000 ly from the center

which means we're about 15,000 ly from the edge.

Now, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure if you go 100% the speed of light, in one year you'll go one light year.

So please, tell me how you can go 15,000 light years in 80 years going 99% the speed of light. Is there something Stephen Hawkin isn't telling me?

#28 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:39

An Enterprise would be nice, but I'll take the battlestar Galactica anyday.  :D

I honestly think BSG is closer to the type of FTL engines we'll have someday. I don't see man (or anything, really) actually travelling faster than light. Maybe we can push probes up to relativistic speeds, but certainly not faster than light.  

But with Warp Drive, you're not actually moving faster than light, you are riding a surf of space time behind you :)

#29 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:58

Pretty sure I read somewhere mentioning Einstein, it's impossible to travel @ 100% the speed of light.

This is all theory, after all I did use the word "if", as current technology shows it's currently impossible to even get anywhere near the speed of light.

The measurement of a "light year" (the term "year") is the measurement of an Earth year. Traveling at the speed of light (close to it [99%]) causes the affect of time to slow, so 1 Earth year would = 1 day on board an interglatic space ship traveling @ 99% speed of light.

So if 80 years (19200 days) passed on an intergalactic space ship traveling @ 99% the speed of light, 58400 years would of passed on Earth. The cause of the slowing of time.

1 day @ 99% light speed = 1 Earth year

80 years (19200 days) @ 99% light speed = 58400 Earth years

Urgh, it's 2am, too tired to do this.

#30 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:00

^

Aha!! You sir have betrayed your location to me.