Photo
gaming kinect xbox one microsoft dice ea battlefield 4

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 John Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:15

Battlefield 4 for Xbox One supports Kinect head tracking for leaning and peeking
by John Callaham

The Xbox One port of Battlefield 4 may have a resolution of 720p, but that version of EA's military shooter will have a couple of extra features that no other will have, thanks to the Xbox One's Kinect sensor. EA has confirmed that players will be able to use their head in the game with the additional Kinect support.

What does that mean? Well, according to Polygon, Battlefield 4 on the Xbox one will allow players to track their head movements when the Kinect sensor is used. This mean gamers will be able to lean and peek around corners in the game world just by moving their heads. The article says this will make a big difference in terms of gameplay as gamers will be able to expose just part of their virtual body when they are in corners.

In addition, Battlefield 4 for the Xbox One will be able to accept voice commands from players, again thanks to the Kinect hardware. Gamers will be able to request ammo, call a medic and more with their voice. Battlefield 4 is one of the 21 planned launch games for the Xbox One, which officially goes on sale on November 22nd.

Source: Polygon | Image via EA

#2 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: HTC One S

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:18

See, I'm not bothered for Battlefield, but imagine for Forza or F1 2014, turning your head to look into the apex of a corner.

That excites me :p

#3 pjak

pjak

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:33

Hope this gets patched into the PS4 version - there seems to be a new reason everyday to buy a PS4 with official camera - lol

#4 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:54

Im looking forward to the first horror game that makes use of Kinect, think we'll start to see some good stuff then.  That being said these little things are still nice additions.

#5 anthdci

anthdci

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:27

See, I'm not bothered for Battlefield, but imagine for Forza or F1 2014, turning your head to look into the apex of a corner.

you could do that in forza 4, but I dont think it worked very well, if you turn your head so the senor picks it up and makes your virtual driver look sideways also means you are no longer looking at your tv screen....

#6 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:32

you could do that in forza 4, but I dont think it worked very well, if you turn your head so the senor picks it up and makes your virtual driver look sideways also means you are no longer looking at your tv screen....

Ive always said this is the fundamental problem with head tracking. You turn your head but your eyes must still focus on a stationary screen. Seems counter-intuitive to me. 

Oh and weve known this for a while. 

http://www.vgleaks.c...inect-settings/

#7 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:38

they did this in Forza 4, it was a little hit and miss but a good idea, i expect with the increased resolution/speed of the XB1 kinnect it might be a better experience. :)

edit :- sorry same thing said above, didn't refresh my page in time, 

#8 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:05

Yeah, I agree the Forza 4 head tracking was a great idea but in reality it didn't work very well as you had to turn your head away from the screen.  This however suggests you would tilt your head to the side maybe to make it work so it wouldn't be so bad.

This kind of shows support for the decision to bundle Kinect with the Xbox that the developers will develop features for it because they know it will be there. There is no reason I am aware of that PS4 couldn't get this if users have purchased the camera, it just suggests that the devs aren't viewing it as worth the time and effort because the PS4 users are less likely to have it.

#9 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:39

I hope the head tracking is optional. I'd hate to play and have my character lean around a corner because I got up to grab a drink.

#10 -adrian-

-adrian-

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:56

Good. Will they also fix all the bugs and crashes by than?

#11 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:05

Hopefully they'll put some more work into Kinect for PC and add it to that as well.

#12 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:07

Hope this gets patched into the PS4 version - there seems to be a new reason everyday to buy a PS4 with official camera - lol

won't you need to strap the Move controller to your head for that? :p

#13 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:08

hopefully they add it as optional.. be a pain to have to duck and lean and such just to do some basic movement.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:09

Why doesn't PC have this? :(

#15 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:39

I hope the head tracking is optional. I'd hate to play and have my character lean around a corner because I got up to grab a drink.

lol, I hear ya. Personally, I'm too much of a twitchy player, given that I play more so on the PC that this would likely hinder me more than it would make it "fun".

Why doesn't PC have this? :(

We play way too fast anyway, honestly.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!