Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeparkie

Mikeparkie

Neowinian-Geek

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:45

See the screenshot, looks like the system volume is using 1TB of data or there abouts, how do I reclaim this space? 

Attached Images

• Untitled.png

Best Answer Eric , 07 November 2013 - 13:55

That folder is where system restore points are kept. If you search for "View advanced system settings" you can find the configuration options on the "System Protection" tab of that control panel. Under "Configure" there is an option to either delete all restore points on that volume, turn it on or off, and change the amount of space allocated for the folder. Go to the full post

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:50

Do a Disk Management instead which is a right click computer and choose manage if you are using Windows 7 and just right click Start button and choose Disk management if using Windows 8+

Defragment apps? People still use those? :blink: Windows automatically defrags now so no need for those anymore really.

#3 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:55   Best Answer

That folder is where system restore points are kept. If you search for "View advanced system settings" you can find the configuration options on the "System Protection" tab of that control panel. Under "Configure" there is an option to either delete all restore points on that volume, turn it on or off, and change the amount of space allocated for the folder.

#4 OP Mikeparkie

Mikeparkie

Neowinian-Geek

Posted 07 November 2013 - 13:57

That folder is where system restore points are kept. If you search for "View advanced system settings" you can find the configuration options on the "System Protection" tab of that control panel. Under "Configure" there is an option to either delete all restore points on that volume, turn it on or off, and change the amount of space allocated for the folder.

I'd already turned off the restore points but forgot to clear the previous restore points. Much appreciated! 

#5 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:00

Sorry but is C not your system partition?

#6 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:02

Sorry but is C not your system partition?

It's a solid-state drive.

#7 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:04

sorry I didn't mean partition, I mean drive, but he said his system drive was using 1TB when its clearly not, the only drive using 1TB is E: which looks like a backup drive (due to the name)

#8 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2013 - 14:29

He said "System Volume" but I inferred he was referring to "System Volume Information" by the image. :)

#9 OP Mikeparkie

Mikeparkie

Neowinian-Geek

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:35

C: is my SSD 120GB

D: is my data drive 4TB (with the now recovered 1TB of checkpoints DERRR!)

E: same as D:\ but on a 4TB USB

Thanks guys

#10 OP Mikeparkie

Mikeparkie

Neowinian-Geek

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:36

Do a Disk Management instead which is a right click computer and choose manage if you are using Windows 7 and just right click Start button and choose Disk management if using Windows 8+

Defragment apps? People still use those? :blink: Windows automatically defrags now so no need for those anymore really.

I was aware that SDD are automatically looked after by Windows, but I must admit that I didnt know Windows automatically defrags conventional disks, when did that start happening? 

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:38

I was aware that SDD are automatically looked after by Windows, but I must admit that I didnt know Windows automatically defrags conventional disks, when did that start happening? 

In Windows Vista.  IIRC it still only does it on a schedule on the off chance your comp is actually on when the schedule runs, so I like to do mine manually.

#12 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 84
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 16:56

"only does it on a schedule on the off chance your comp is actually on when the schedule runs"

No that is not the case - unless you have modified the default task, by default it will start asap if task is missed..

defrag.png

#13 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:46

"only does it on a schedule on the off chance your comp is actually on when the schedule runs"

No that is not the case - unless you have modified the default task, by default it will start asap if task is missed..

attachicon.gifdefrag.png

Quite odd that I still have to do it manually then...and I've been using every OS since XP from launch.

#14 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 84
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:13

You don't -- you just want too.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:43

You don't -- you just want too.

Doesn't explain why I commonly saw fragmentation over 10% when I used hard drives (now I don't except for stuff I don't really need performing well, so not an issue.)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!