Photo

Anyone suffer from OCD here? Take Cymbalta?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,761 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:37

I was very hesitant about posting this, it is a pretty sensitive subject for me.. but I wanted some "tech people" conversation about it.. there was also the risk of people thinking I'm crazy.. but.. everyone on Neowin knows I'm crazy anyway  :rofl:

I have always been pretty OCD as long as I can remember.. Probably started getting worse when I started my teens.. I have the majority of it under control now.. but one aspect of it, haunts me and is driving me crazy.. ######ing Noises :) 

I have always been in a work environment where I could put headphones on or shut my door.. but we have moved buildings and I no longer have those luxuries..   

Things that drive me up the up and drag me through hell are,

Loud Keyboard Typing

Talking Loudly on the phone

Whispering 

Mouse Clicking some days

Listening to Stupid People Talk

Crunching

Smacking

Chewing 

Plates\fork sounds

along with other horrid sounds :p

I know there are health websites that talk about these sort of things, but I wanted to come here and see..

One medicine that helped a whole ######ing lot was Cymbalta.. It really helped calmed down and just not care about these things.. but at the same time.. I didn't really care about anything while on it :D

Things I did not like about it

Known to cause Liver Damage - Almost guaranteed

Drinking is a HUGE no no - I know this goes with most of these type drugs.. but some you can have 2-3 drinks and still be ok.. I had two beers and.. well it was bad lol

Afraid to become dependent on it - A lot of people that take these drugs become dependent and almost impossible for them to come off of them

Afraid of damaging my brain - No studies have said anything about this.. but still. 

Sex.. While on it.. Very hard for me to "climax".. I could go for hours lol 

Anyone else everyone take any drugs to help them? Anyone have any non-drug methods of helping? As I am typing this, someone is crunching ice and I just want to ######ing scream :D

Thanks for taking the time to read it :)

#2 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:44

With all those problems is your job adaptable to working at home where the distractions are more controllable?

#3 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:46

With all those problems is your job adaptable to working at home where the distractions are more controllable?

Not really.. If a server goes down and it is a hardware issue it would be about 45 minutes before I could start to troubleshoot it :/

#4 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

• 1,160 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:50

Did anybody diagnose You with OCD? Because the symptoms You're describing doesn't sound like OCD at all, not like I'm a doctor or anything of that sort, but sounds like you're just tired. Maybe try regular exercise, diet, sleep pattern or regime or how do you call it, take more time off computer. IMO getting annoyed by that kind of stuff is normal when you have trouble focusing 

Better leave medication as a last resort, I've seen people getting way more ######ed up taking medication than they were before they got diagnosed 

#5 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

• 104 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:53

I understand your pain.  People tapping a pen or their foot drives me nuts.  Loud fans also can drive me nuts.  I don't know much that can help you.  I have learned to deal with it and honestly unless its a bad day or I have a bad headache it's gotten to where I can accept it.  The only thing that may help is trying to think about something that you have to deal with that isn't going to be fun.  Its like lesser of two evils thing haha.

#6 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:55

Did anybody diagnose You with OCD? Because the symptoms You're describing doesn't sound like OCD at all, not like I'm a doctor or anything of that sort, but sounds like you're just tired. Maybe try regular exercise, diet, sleep pattern or regime or how do you call it, take more time off computer. IMO getting annoyed by that kind of stuff is normal when you have trouble focusing 

Better leave medication as a last resort, I've seen people getting way more ****ed up taking medication than they were before they got diagnosed 

Yes, two different doctors.. Like I said.. I have calmed down a lot with it in regards of other OCD like behavior.. Touching a doorknob before you leave a room, checking to see if your alarm is set 1000 times, making sure the door is locked 1000 times, ect.. I have put the majority of that OCD stuff in the past. 

#7 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

• 104 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 19:59

Haha its my damn emergency brake for me.

#8 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,377 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:01

Have you tried bupropion (aka Wellbutrin)?  My brother-in-law takes this for his OCD and he swears by it.  I took it for a while for depression and had no issues with it.   It will not impact any sexual function, in fact, at higher doses claims have made that it helps.

#9 demon_speed

demon_speed

Neowinian

• 91 posts
  • Phone: Sony Ericsson T707

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:03

Try out this quiz :)http://psychcentral.com/ocdquiz.htm , it is quite helpful website! 

Well, I have tried Cymbalta myself, IT'S HORRIBLE! It gave me anxiety and terrible nightmares so I stopped after 2 days!

#10 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:11

Not really.. If a server goes down and it is a hardware issue it would be about 45 minutes before I could start to troubleshoot it :/

How often do you get a critical hardware failure though, do you not run redundancy?

#11 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:12

they have me on Risperdal 4mg for OCD and a few other things. seams to work fine for me for the most part. only down side as kinda like you said when you stop caring you stop caring about everything. so My wife and daughter kinda get shunted a lot.

#12 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:15

Try out this quiz :)http://psychcentral.com/ocdquiz.htm , it is quite helpful website! 

Well, I have tried Cymbalta myself, IT'S HORRIBLE! It gave me anxiety and terrible nightmares so I stopped after 2 days!

;)

Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 2.13.45 PM.png

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:15

Scored an 18, 

S C O R E S

If you scored... Then... 12 & up
8 - 11
0 - 7 OCD is likely 
OCD is probable 
OCD is unlikely

#14 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:16

they have me on Risperdal 4mg for OCD and a few other things. seams to work fine for me for the most part. only down side as kinda like you said when you stop caring you stop caring about everything. so My wife and daughter kinda get shunted a lot.

Hm, I will look into that, thanks for your reply. 

#15 OP fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 20:18

Have you tried bupropion (aka Wellbutrin)?  My brother-in-law takes this for is OCD and he swears by it.  I took it for a while for depression and had no issues with it.   It will not impact any sexual function, in fact, at higher doses claims have made that it helps.

I have not.. I guess I need to find a doctor I can trust.. I have been put on a bunch of different Rx for this along with other anxiety issues..