missouri stepfather handcuffed judgment call taser city jail

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:17

The family of a 3-year-old killed in a northern Missouri house fire early Oct. 31 says it is outraged after police used a stun gun to subdue the boy's stepfather as he tried to run back into the burning house to rescue the boy.

Riley Miller, the boy, died in the fire at the home in the town of Louisiana. A city police officer fired his stun gun at the stepfather, Ryan Miller, as he tried to re-enter the burning home. Authorities at the scene reportedly determined it was too dangerous to make an attempt to save the boy.

Lori Miller, the boy's grandmother, says she witnessed two officers use the stun gun three times, twice after Ryan Miller had been handcuffed. Miller suffered chest burns and was later released from the city jail without being charged.

City Administrator Bob Jenne called the police response a "judgment call.” A firefighter tried unsuccessfully to enter the home and it was deemed too hot for the stepfather to enter.

KSDK.com reports that Ryan Miller, who was dressed in pajamas at the time, pulled his shirt over his head and tried to kick in the front door. Jenne told the station police had no choice but to Taser the stepfather. Connecttristates.com reports that the town is expecting a lawsuit from the family.

more

original

#2 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,298 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:21

There are two sides to this story, neither is good.

1. Firemen has said the fire was too hot for them to go in, even with their full protective gear. If the father went in he would have died and there would have been two bodies to remove, not one.

2. But what father won't run into a burning building to try and save his son's life, even if he knew he was going to die? And who has the right to stop him from trying?

That said, not sure why the police had to take him to jail after though...he just lost his son, his emotions were quite justified. It's just a sad / ###### situation all around :no:

#3 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• 5,286 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:23

They probably saved his life ultimately. 

#4 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,249 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:24

i like how you can taser anyone for failure to comply with anything 

#5 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:24

#### the government and the stupid people that they employee.

#6 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:26

It was sad his son died in the fire. I feel the police was justified in tasering the step-father, because if it was too hot for a fireman to enter, what made the father think he could enter.  I think the step father was overwhelmed with emotions and tried runing in on emotions and not thinking.

#7 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,298 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:26

**** the government and the stupid people that they employee.

Those stupid people saved the father's life. Firemen in full protective gear said it was too hot and too dangerous for them to go in, and I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about.

Like I said, there's no right outcome to this whole thing. Father goes in, he dies, police / firemen have to pull out two bodies and their family is now 2 less. Father doesn't go in, he has to live with knowing that he left his son to die.

Either way you look at it, it's ####.

#8 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,462 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:29

**** the government and the stupid people that they employee.

yea, they should have just let the man run in & burn to death.

#9 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,298 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:30

And then the family would have sued the city for letting the father run into the burning building, causing his death.

#10 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,692 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:36

The fact that a taser was used makes this news. If he was physically held back, it would be a heartbreaking story and the Police would of came off looking ok. But instead we get a story filled with anger, hate, police are made out to be ########.

Anyway, doesnt change the fact that the father acted on emotion/impulse like any good dad would do. He wasnt thinking about anything but his son and he would of died before rescuing his son. And what would of happened to the rest of his family and what would they do without a him...the father. I feel for him...but it was for the best and in time he will realize this...or at least I hope so.

#11 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:43

I would have hosed him down with water and wished him good luck. ;)

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,692 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:46

I would have hosed him down with water and wished him good luck. ;)

If the fire was that hot for the fireman...he would of gotten one or two steps in the door before he was dead. Water would not of mattered.

#13 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,103 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:49

If the fire was that hot for the fireman...he would of gotten one or two steps in the door before he was dead. Water would not of mattered.

Clearly you have not seen every other TV movie from the USA. He would have been saved by Jesus.

#14 Lachlan

Lachlan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,018 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:53

exactly.. which would of costs the city around 200,000 dollars and people would be all pissed..

And then the family would have sued the city for letting the father run into the burning building, causing his death.

#15 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 23:55

That was his choice to make.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!