Windows 8.1 freezes on startup

I just experienced that my Windows 8.1 freezes on startup on my notebook (specs in sig)

In the event manager is says that a "pointing device" is causing issues. I have disconnected my external USB mouse, so it can only be the mouse trackpad.

I have installed Windows 8.1 since it RTM'ed on TechNet without any hickups so far.

What might be the case?

And might it be beter to reinstall/clean install Windows 8.1? Or even revert back to Windows 7?

When did it start to occur? I had this issue when I installed something (O2 Connection Manager on Windows 8.1) - in the end, had to put the CD in the drive and restore to the last restore point before I installed that software. Works fine then.

Had this last night, had to reboot three times before Windows 8.1 worked properly, and even now FluffyApp won't start :/ I have an old PC though (from 2009).

Has some secret Microsoft update been causing this?

Is a reinstall of Win 8.1 the solution here? Because I haven't had this issue before?

Just roll back a system restore to before the issue occured.

You could re-install Windows 8.1 - or try a repair first.

Just roll back a system restore to before the issue occured.

You could re-install Windows 8.1 - or try a repair first.

That doesn't fix the issue though, if it's a Windows Update for example.

...also Kaspersky is having its issues now.... might be more 'thoroughly' something wrong with my Windows 8.1 installation :crazy:

I don't think it is a Windows update that is causing it - could be wrong, has happened before - just there would be more noise if it was.

• 2 weeks later...

I am encountering the same issues again :(

It looks like it might be some hardware issue here with Windows 8/8.1.

Or are there some other troubleshooting things (besides reverting back to Windows 7)?

These issues might be symptoms that my SSD Vertex 2 is dying on me? The SDD is around 3 years old and in use every day.

Can this be a plausible explanation?

Did you install drivers for your mouse/touchpad after you reinstalled? I know at least the SteelSeries and Logitech HID drivers were causing serious issues.

If your SSD is dying you should see SMART errors popping up. HDTune can show your drive's health pretty easily.

I have a LogitechT620.

But with or without software installed give these random freezes, so I guess that doesn't make a difference.

Must check on HDTune...

In Device Manager, is there any yellow question marks? Did Win 8 install all the drivers or did you use drivers from asus?

no question marks, asus drivers all where possible

Your SSD is claiming it has 92% of it's usable life left if I'm reading the smart attribute correctly. I didn't bother to read the error rates because the meaning is inconsistent between HDD manufacturers. I would look it up if I were you though. I'm sure you can find something about how it works.

In Windows Update, is there any recommended updates that have not been installed?

Is it possible to disable any of the asus drivers and run your machine without them?

All WU and recommended updates are installed.

It's just the 'ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities' (Win 7, 64bit) that have been installed for Asus K72Jr notebook to have extra functions like sound, wireless on/off with one click etc (all kinda handy features)

In any case if you haven't I would run 'sfc /scannow' just to see if that finds issues and a chkdsk. I realize you did a reinstall but it is never a bad idea to try those. 

One warning is that chkdsk takes extra long in Windows 8 due to some changes in how it works and it no longer gives you a detailed summary. That log appears in the event viewer.

EDIT: I should note that if you see issues with either of those after that clean install, that should raise some flags for you.

In any case if you haven't I would run 'sfc /scannow' just to see if that finds issues and a chkdsk. I realize you did a reinstall but it is never a bad idea to try those. 

One warning is that chkdsk takes extra long in Windows 8 due to some changes in how it works and it no longer gives you a detailed summary. That log appears in the event viewer.

EDIT: I should note that if you see issues with either of those after that clean install, that should raise some flags for you.

I don't really understand your EDIT-comment :(

I don't really understand your EDIT-comment :(

It should have said red flags...

I mean, if something is detected as wrong on either of those, given that you just did a reinstall, I would suspect the SSD has having something wrong with it.

Although, to be fair, and I should have realized this a bit earlier, a BSOD could very will cause inconsistencies in your file system which chkdsk would then fix... so perhaps it doesn't necessarily raise red flags. 

The HDTune SMART report looks good to me.

Have you checked in \windows\minidumps\ to see if there are any fault logs being generated? It might help nail down what's causing it if so.

The HDTune SMART report looks good to me.

Have you checked in \windows\minidumps\ to see if there are any fault logs being generated? It might help nail down what's causing it if so.

There is no such folder windows\minidumps... 

it goes from Microsoft.Net to Modemlogs...

• 2 months later...

The issue is back again :crazy:

The Event Viewer lists in most cases during the error period the messages:

"A pointer device reported a bad angular logical range." and

"A pointer device did not report a valid unit of angular measurement." and

"A pointer device reported a bad angular physical range."

Can this be the touchpad? Or maybe the Logitech mouse?

The Touchpad has Windows 7 64 bit drivers (on Win 8.1)

The Logitech software should be - according to Logitech - Windows 8.1 compatible?