• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 15 November 2013 - 16:28

quite the list, more than PS4s launch.. however.. the astrisk notes the Gold is required.. are ALL features behind gold?  Also, which ones are actually launch ones vs ones that will be out in spring?

PSN is a paywall to play online and get access to games.

XBL is a paywall to play online, get apps, get skype minutes (for xb1 users), free games, unlimited cloud storage so on and so forth..

Are you buying a PS4 without PSN?

I don't think youtube would be Microsofts fault. I'm guessing more to do with google the same with WP youtube app and the constant back and forwards **** fight between the two.

The youtube app on 360 is pretty nice and amazingly works with the youtube app on the phones.   is youtube launching on any console this gen yet?

#17 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 16:38

XBL is a paywall to play online, get apps, get skype minutes (for xb1 users), free games, unlimited cloud storage so on and so forth..

Uhm, PSN gives access to free games, auto update stuff, real-time game patching, and various other things.  However, my post had nothing to do with comparing PSN and XBL, but a genuine question if ALL of the apps required it.  

Now I see what trooper means when people turn everything into a ps4 vs. xbone even if the post has nothing to do with a comparison.  Both you and hawk have done it to me in the past 3 days.

#18 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:09

Uhm, PSN gives access to free games, auto update stuff, real-time game patching, and various other things.  However, my post had nothing to do with comparing PSN and XBL, but a genuine question if ALL of the apps required it.  

Now I see what trooper means when people turn everything into a ps4 vs. xbone even if the post has nothing to do with a comparison.  Both you and hawk have done it to me in the past 3 days.

This is a forrest from the trees problem.  Yes, XB1 media apps require XBL and yes, you have to pay for XBL - Everyone knows this.  XBL also gives you accesss to free games, auto update stuff, real time patching and various other things.

Microsoft has NOT at this time changed the 360 policy nor announced ANY change of that policy on X1. It's been beaten like a deadhorse and the reason we seem snarky in response is that it's a snarky question to ask at this point.

Especially since we know you're not buying the x1.. this community isn't that large :)

#19 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:11

The youtube app on 360 is pretty nice and amazingly works with the youtube app on the phones.   is youtube launching on any console this gen yet?

This is a forrest from the trees problem.  Yes, XB1 media apps require XBL and yes, you have to pay for XBL - Everyone knows this.  XBL also gives you accesss to free games, auto update stuff, real time patching and various other things.

Microsoft has NOT at this time changed the 360 policy nor announced ANY change of that policy on X1. It's been beaten like a deadhorse and the reason we seem snarky in response is that it's a snarky question to ask at this point.

Especially since we know you're not buying the x1.. this community isn't that large :)

Can we stop calling games "free" when you have to pay a sub :laugh: Goes for both IGC and GwG :p

#20 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:14

Can we stop calling games "free" when you have to pay a sub :laugh: Goes for both IGC and GwG :p

Actually, they are free.  You don't need to maintain the sub to keep playing them. (unlike PSN cough cough) :D

#21 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:16

Actually, they are free.  You don't need to maintain the sub to keep playing them. (unlike PSN cough cough) :D

You need to buy XBL Gold to qualify, therefore, not free.

#22 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:20

You need to buy XBL Gold to qualify, therefore, not free.

They are free. I buy XBL to play online :D

You love to argue for argument sake right?

When i had cable and got free pay per views randomly, i still quantified the pay per views as "Free" even though i had to still pay for cable.. but you're right, to be pedantic, they aren't free.

I still had to pay for cable, electricity, tv, house and everything else required to use it.

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:21

They are free. I buy XBL to play online :D

You love to argue for argument sake right?

I like to see people argue things are free when punching their CC details into an online store.

#24 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:24

I like to see people argue things are free when punching their CC details into an online store.

You don't need to punch in CC details to get the games for free. You just click buy, it says the price is 00 and starts downloading and saves it to your library if you want to download later.  Even after not paying for service.

#25 firey

firey

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:27

I asked if they all where, not owning an xbox I didn't know if every single media app/side app required XBL Gold.  You could have answered with a simple yes instead of assuming my intentions, which you clearly got wrong. 

You are right though, I have no plans to buy an xbone, but that doesn't mean everything I say in regards to it has to be negative or a dig.  

#26 firey

firey

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:28

You don't need to punch in CC details to get the games for free. You just click buy, it says the price is 00 and starts downloading and saves it to your library if you want to download later.  Even after not paying for service.

Dear god you like to argue.   So, you are saying I could get an xbone, load up the MS Store and download games from XBL without paying for anything?  That I won't need to enter a CC at all and I will be off downloading games for free?

#27 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:30

I asked if they all where, not owning an xbox I didn't know if every single media app/side app required XBL Gold.  You could have answered with a simple yes instead of assuming my intentions, which you clearly got wrong. 

You are right though, I have no plans to buy an xbone, but that doesn't mean everything I say in regards to it has to be negative or a dig.  

What was the reason for asking if there was or wasn't a paywall for apps? but yes, i'm being dense, only because 360 has been out for eons and there is google/bing and its friday!

I mean, if you aren't arguing or debating for or against anything and you're not buying an X1, what were you trying to clarify?  The paywall doesn't change the app list mentioned here.

#28 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:30

Basically, Games for Gold offers games you can keep at a discount and PS+ offer game you can 'rent' as long as you pay for the service.

Neither are free games unless you convince yourself that you are paying for Gold or PS+ for other reasons and that the game offers are just extras. In that case:

Gold offers free games you keep
PS+ offers free game rentals as long as your subscribed.

#29 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:31

Dear god you like to argue.   So, you are saying I could get an xbone, load up the MS Store and download games from XBL without paying for anything?  That I won't need to enter a CC at all and I will be off downloading games for free?

Dear god you like to argue as well and claim you're not arguing.

1. Buy a 360.  Register a 30, 60, 90 day game card, register your gamertag

2. Go to the free games for XBL app

3. Click Buy - price is 0.0

4. Download

I have never had to get my credit card out for the "free" games nor have i had to re-charge points or add credits.

edit: quoted "Free" because its obviously not "Free" but at the same time it is "Free" depending on how you look at what "Free" means.

#30 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:33

Basically, Games for Gold offers games you can keep at a discount and PS+ offer game you can 'rent' as long as you pay for the service.

Neither are free games unless you convince yourself that you are paying for Gold or PS+ for other reasons and that the game offers are just extras. In that case:

Gold offers free games you keep
PS+ offers free game rentals as long as your subscribed.

This..

I was just being snarky because this is well, common knowledge at this point in time once again.  And i didn't think we had to discuss the merits of "Free" heh