• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#31 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:49

The xbox one is a great part of the TV portion of the 3-screen initiative, but the Apple TV absolutely kills it in terms of everything not gamer related. Sure the IR blaster and HDMI in are cool, but not $500 + XBL cool. Meanwhile the Apple TV connects to everyone's iPhone and costs $100. I don't know that Microsoft should sell their xbox business, but they desperately need a $100 top set box to compete with Apple.

I don't think they desperately need a cheap STB..   I don't want/need an Apple TV because i have a roku that only cost 50 bucks, so does Apple TV now need to be 49 to compete?

Also, i will greatly dispute the apple tv absolutely kills anything.  360 + Smartglass is awesome and if you're into getting ripped off for watching content the service on Xbox Video + smartglass is above anything appletv has.

with all that said, it would be smart to have a 99.00 box, but lets face it, the 360 itself is at 149 now and it definitely has 50$ more value

#32 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:00

Seems like a very nearsighted approach to a company that traditionally looks quite a ways in the future when making its decisions.  Microsoft knew Xbox wouldn't be a success in 2001, but they still went for it and they've practically built an empire out of it whether or not its profitable - it's a common brand name that people don't immediately associate poorly with and that's good for Microsoft.

Surprisingly enough companies care about the profitability of their products and services. The Xbox brand has been around for well over a decade and yet it still isn't making money. Obviously there are other factors to consider—like future earnings potential, brand recognition and synergy, and competition—but Sony has demonstrated that it is all too easy to start posting major losses.

By your own logic, Amazon should get rid of AWS because they're not making money hand over fist and they should shut their doors because they're still taking losses or razor thin profits on their core business - yet the market still cheerleads Amazon

But it's not just my logic, is it? We're talking about an opinion shared by one of the frontrunners for the position of CEO, as well as countless analysts. As for the Amazon comparison, Amazon doesn't disclose whether AWS is profitable but its rivals are under the impression that it is hugely profitable. Further, Microsoft started in the search engine market back in 1998 (15 years ago) with MSN Search and has rebranded countless times (Live Search, Bing) yet its market share remains less than 18% - that's much longer than Amazon's AWS service has been around.

#33 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,954 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:12

it's our default search engine at work. 

Of course it would be the default search engine at Microsoft! :laugh:

#34 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:15

Of course it would be the default search engine at Microsoft! :laugh:

I don't work at Microsoft, sorry. 

#35 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

• 2,535 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:21

Bing should definitely be killed off. It's been a failure from the start.

There's a lot of positives in branching off Xbox into it's own business but also creates a lot of uncertainties. Right now a lot of suits who don't care about the games industry are in charge of it which isn't healthy or good for the long term outlook.

And having some idiot who's company has been in a nose dive for 2 years man the helm...sorry this guy shouldn't even be considered for the seat.

#36 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,670 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:22

Bing is the only search engine I use. Google is despicable.

#37 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,597 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:22

Rumors. I hope these are false. Why do that? There's no reason to. 

Because MS is losing money with both ?

Let's be honest there's not much money to be made in the console gaming world when you consider the gaming part only. MS did not create the xbox to make money with gaming. They created it to push windows on TV. The problem right now for the future of console outside of gaming is the Smart TVs. As good as the one will be for media and tv purpose it has no future in this market if the basic functionalities comes "free" with TVs and cable set top boxes and make no mistake TV manufacturers will continue to improve and sell Smart TVs and cable providers (in canada at least) will continue to sell their own set top box and improve them.

It would be best for ms, imo, to invest in a mobile OS tailored for TVs. A mobile OS TV manufacturers could include with their Smart TVs. The longer MS waits the more chance it has to be beat by Apple or Google in this field. You can mark my words one day TVs will come with a good cohesive mobile OS with kb/controller support and with a store selling apps and mobile games. This will hurt the console market a lot.

I personally don't think this whole story is true. But i would not be surprised if MS dump the xbox hardware one day or another and focus on a XBox branded TV OS instead. We are not there yet though. I don't see MS killing Bing as it would leave Google without any competition.

#38 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,106 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:28

And having some idiot who's company has been in a nose dive for 2 years man the helm...sorry this guy shouldn't even be considered for the seat.

You say that but Nokia was in terminal decline when Elop took over and his decision to make the company Windows Phone exclusive positioned the company for takeover by Microsoft, which isn't surprising when you consider that Elop was the former head of Microsoft's business division. Even while at Nokia he was doing what was in the best interests of Microsoft.

#39 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,597 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:30

Maybe that just means that Neowin isn't only a hardcore Microsoft site? ;)

It is a hardcore Microsoft site. It just means Bing is really really really not popular ;) I think even WP get higher results here and it gets destroyed by Android in the real world.

#40 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,597 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:37

You say that but Nokia was in terminal decline when Elop

My memory may be wrong but i think Nokia and Symbian were still #1 on the world when Elop took over the company. Yes Nokia was declining quickly but i think the company was still in a position to be saved by a good ceo that was not acting as a trojan horse.

#41 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,106 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:57

My memory may be wrong but i think Nokia and Symbian were still #1 on the world when Elop took over the company. Yes Nokia was declining quickly but i think the company was still in a position to be saved by a good ceo that was not acting as a trojan horse.

He was announced as the CEO of Nokia in September 2010 and when he actually started in 2011 he issued the infamous 'Burning Platform' memo, highlighting that the company was in serious trouble. The company's stock was rated barely above junk. The decision to go Windows Phone exclusive was a desperate attempt to remain relevant. The company continued its dramatic decline under Elop but business strategies take years to implement and see results for, so that's not unexpected. What he did was to align the company with Microsoft's business model to make a takeover a viable prospect.

I doubt any other CEO would have fared much better.

#42 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,852 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:01

not sure why they would want to sell the XBox division however, killing off bing might be a good idea lol.

#43 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:04

I'm not in favour of him taking over either but the rest of my original post still stands. Investors are calling for Xbox to be seperated from Microsoft, so it's not only him proposing the idea.

#44 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,584 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:11

Maybe that just means that Neowin isn't only a hardcore Microsoft site? ;)

Search for polls on other sites.. most polls, google is well above bing. 

#45 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,309 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:14

The Xbox division hasn't been profitable for Microsoft, while its online services division (which includes Bing) continues to lose billions of dollars. Sony actually fared worse with the PlayStation 3, which highlights how competitive the market is. Microsoft would be better off selling the Xbox division and focusing on supporting third parties with open platform games machines, like Valve is doing with Steam Machines. Don't forget that the Xbox was originally intended to be a Windows based DirectX gaming console and being open platform would have been much more in-line with Microsoft's traditional business model.

Spinning off the Xbox division, killing off Bing and pushing Office onto iOS and Android would be a bold move for Microsoft but one that could greatly benefit the company. I wasn't convinced about Elop before but he is shaping up to be the sort of radical CEO that Microsoft needs.

Citing an Adam Hartung article? I don't put much stock in anything he writes, plus what he wrote about Xbox is incorrect. It hasn't been profitable as a whole, thanks to the RROD fiasco, but it's been profitable on a quarterly basis since then. (That is not to discount the RROD issue, before anyone asks -- it was a colossal screw-up.)

Also: Spinning Xbox off and selling it are not the same. Additionally, supporting third-party open platforms that have no proven track record would be a massive gamble.