Target ships Xbox One 14 days early

They banned his console because he broke several NDAs. It sucks. Hopefully they unban it come the 22nd.

That is not how NDAs work. You must sign and agree to them. He simply bought one from Target

That is not how NDAs work. You must sign and agree to them. He simply bought one from Target

Yes I know. NDA wasn't the correct term to use. What I meant is that there are review embargoes on the console and games.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Tom Warren, the man who knows nothing about gaming who won't shut up about gaming :laugh:

I hope for their sake it is temporary, but there was better ways of handling this.

It doesn't matter about NDAs, embargoes and all that. He is just a consumer which got shipped one and signed nothing of the sort.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about him posting things, it's not even a grey area he isn't under any embargo whatsoever.

Target on the other hand is in for a world of hassle. Banning this guys console is a huge own goal.

They could have just let it be, he was generating positive hype for the thing but yet again Microsoft fail and fail hard.

• Like 2

Guys, they're just doing damage control. The console hasn't been released yet and within that time window, they can change the day 1 update to include new fixes. When I read about the ban, I immediately assumed it was temporary. It sucks Microsoft did that because he didn't do anything wrong but it's just their way of enforcing the embargo. If I were Microsoft, I would have contacted him and offered him some free games in exchange for staying quiet. The ban seems a little unfair.

All the built in gamer pics are pretty cool. Finally a decent starting selection.

Hopefully the 20 min standby limit isn't true or final.

Love the "top XBL game activity" feature. I'm sure a few devs won't when everyone can see their game is dead online :P Will make Gamasutra's job much easier at least lol

But for those of us without ****ty providers there isn't a problem, and you forget the original xbox one idea was that you could buy the digital downloads on disk as well. so.. 

Doesn't change the fact digital only isn't viable for everyone.. even in first world countries.

They should of reached out and said "hey we're going to need to temp ban you, here's why, hope you understand and we'll unban you at launch".

It doesn't matter about NDAs, embargoes and all that. He is just a consumer which got shipped one and signed nothing of the sort.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about him posting things, it's not even a grey area he isn't under any embargo whatsoever.

Target on the other hand is in for a world of hassle. Banning this guys console is a huge own goal.

They could have just let it be, he was generating positive hype for the thing but yet again Microsoft fail and fail hard.

Irrelevant, he got a console he wasn't supposed to gte. MS will preemptively ban him, and then sort out what happened and eventually unban him when launch day comes around. 

• Like 2

They should of reached out and said "hey we're going to need to temp ban you, here's why, hope you understand and we'll unban you at launch".

No you ban first in all hese situations and then reach out. it's SOP. 

Hopefully the 20 min standby limit isn't true or final.

my theory is, he is playing a disc based game, not a digital game. there has to be random disc authentication, or else people could just load up a game, keep it suspended, then share the disc with others.

we don't even know if he kept the disc in the drive

my theory is, he is playing a disc based game, not a digital game. there has to be random disc authentication, or else people could just load up a game, keep it suspended, then share the disc with others.

I'm sure there is, but then why is the limit there at all. If the disc is removed then they could stop the standby. Easy enough to stop disc sharing without limiting the feature.

I'm sure there is, but then why is the limit there at all. If the disc is removed then they could stop the standby. Easy enough to stop disc sharing without limiting the feature.

that would lead to such an easy hack. do a mod to drive the eject signal to always off,even if you press the eject button. very trivial thing to do. the system will believe you never ejected the disc,even though you did.

So you're not paying $45 for an unlimited* teksavvy package like me then?

*supposed to be 300GB plus whatever overnight but usage tracking is broken so it's unlimited

Looked up tek savvy today. Going to cancel rogers and get the 35/300 plan. The guy told me they don't have a usage tracker yet so no reason to buy unlimited.

If it were so easy then it would have been done on 360, PS3 and Wii, but it wasn't

pirates don't want to share their games, they want to steal them. and last gen consoles cant suspend a game,so your console has to be on the whole time you have the game loaded. suspending the game is way more ideal and appealing.

pirates don't want to share their games, they want to steal them.

You're going off on a completely different tangent here from my original point. You say the limit is in place to prevent piracy but there are plenty of other of ways of blocking and that is evident because it wasn't even an issue for Xbox 360.

You're going off on a completely different tangent here from my original point. You say the limit is in place to prevent piracy but there are plenty of other of ways of blocking and that is evident because it wasn't even an issue for Xbox 360.

how so? im only responding to you saying a simple eject check is enough,and I explained that it isn't,because an eject check can be fooled. whenever you load a 360 game,even if installed to the hard drive, a disc check is done. if you suspend a game on the one for too long, its going to require a disk check,just as if youre loading the game again. its that simple. if you pause a game on the one, just like the 360, it wont do a disk check.

how so? im only responding to you saying a simple eject check is enough,and I explained that it isn't,because an eject check can be fooled. whenever you load a 360 game,even if installed to the hard drive, a disc check is done. if you suspend a game on the one for too long, its going to require a disk check,just as if youre loading the game again. its that simple. if you pause a game on the one, just like the 360, it wont do a disk check.

And you can't play a 360 game if you eject the disc? So it was enough.

And you can't play a 360 game if you eject the disc? So it was enough.

difference is, with the 360,the game has to stay loaded,you cant do anything else,you cant shut down the console. with the one, you can suspend the game, suspend the console,go watch Netflix,do Skype,etc. totally different scenario. this type of hole needs close consideration in terms of security.

Microsoft made a bone headed move.  The ban better only be temporary (who knows if Microsoft updated the infrastructure to support temp bans) otherwise or they are in for a world of hurt with PR.  It's also ridiculous his unboxing video got DMCA'ed since he signed no NDA.  

Microsoft made a bone headed move.  The ban better only be temporary (who knows if Microsoft updated the infrastructure to support temp bans) otherwise or they are in for a world of hurt with PR.  It's also ridiculous his unboxing video got DMCA'ed since he signed no NDA.

It was a dick move by MS, but I don't think there will be much PR backlash. The whole deal started and ended far too quickly for it to gain any traction, and the guy isn't even making a big deal out of it. Hopefully he can get it unbanned, or at least get a response from Microsoft.

Whether or not it is temporary is irrelevant the upshot is they were getting free GOOD publicity (and we all know they need it right now) and then managed to screw it up completely with this bone headed move. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic

Somehow this company was once the biggest in the world :s