Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:09

James Comstock refused to buy a pack of cigarettes for his 19-year-old son, Tyler, and now he’s planning his son’s funeral.

“He took off with my truck. I call the police, and they kill him,” James Comstock told The Des Moines Register on Tuesday. “It was over a damn pack of cigarettes. I wouldn’t buy him none.

“And I lose my son for that.”

Comstock said he’s outraged police shot and killed his son Monday morning on Iowa State University’s campus.

Latest updates:

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Dash cam videos from the chase, photos and family reaction at DesMoinesRegister.com/ISUshooting

Police began pursuing Tyler Comstock of Boone after his father reported the truck stolen. The truck belonged to a lawn care company.

Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson pursued Comstock into the heart of ISU’s campus. During the chase, Comstock rammed McPherson’s car. The truck eventually stopped, but Comstock revved the engine and refused orders to turn it off.

McPherson fired six shots into the truck. Comstock died from two gunshot wounds, according to the Iowa state medical examiner’s office.

James Comstock said his son was not carrying a weapon.

During the chase, an unidentified Ames police staffer twice suggested that police back off their pursuit, according to dispatch audio obtained by the Register through a third-party service. Audio: Listen to dispatchers and officers during the pursuit

Tyler Comstock’s step-grandfather, Gary Shepley, 65, of Cambridge, said “hard, tough questions” need to be asked about the police’s actions.

Shepley said he keeps asking himself why police pursued an easily identifiable green-and-white lawn care truck into a busy part of campus. The family said police could have backed off and found the truck later.

“They’re professionals,” Shepley said. “They’re trained to handle these situations. And if they panic before they even know what’s going on, then ask yourself: What if it was your child?”

And why, Shepley asked, did an officer fire six rounds on a campus with innocent bystanders around, simply because Tyler Comstock refused orders to turn off the engine?

“So he didn’t shut the damn truck off, so let’s fire six rounds at him? We’re confused, and we don’t understand,” Shepley said.

http://www.desmoines...&nclick_check=1

#2 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,823 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:22

Guns should've been banned for cops.

#3 OP KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:22

If the cops wanted him to stop and if they must use guns they could of just shot the engine... 

#4 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,294 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:33

'Merica!
Where if you want something done, you do it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overboard.
Sucks to be him, guess the dad learned a lesson here too. 

#5 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:35

If the cops wanted him to stop and if they must use guns they could of just shot the engine... 

Agreed, the tires, the engine block, anything other than the person in this case because A) It's a child whose own parent called them to report a non-violent incident B) The victim was not an immediate threat to the police

On another note, when I first read this story and saw the name "Comstock", I thought of Bioshock: Infinite.

#6 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 623 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:35

Would a cop's standard firearm do that much to an engine though? Surely it would be a lot of rounds fired before something critical was hit, or the engine block was compromised...?

Or are you just suggesting something more along the lines of warning shots?

#7 OP KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:37

Would a cop's standard firearm do that much to an engine block though?

Im pretty sure their firearms could of disabled the engine. 

#8 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:38

Would a cop's standard firearm do that much to an engine though? Surely it would be a lot of rounds fired before something critical was hit, or the engine block was compromised...?

Most rifles would, an AR-15 definitely would go through the engine block, not sure about a .40 cal handgun though.

#9 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 623 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:41

Im pretty sure their firearms could of disabled the engine. 

Most rifles would, an AR-15 definitely would go through the engine block, not sure about a .40 cal handgun though.

Oh that makes sense.

Anyway, sympathies to the father. Sucks to be him. 

#10 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:47

B) The victim was not an immediate threat to the police

Playing Devil's advocate here, but he rammed the police at the very least 3 times with the truck/trailer and prior to being shot he was running into the side of the police car based on the dash cam footage.  Is a 5,000lbs truck not a threat to people's safety?  There are still other ways this could've been handled (ie. kid pulling over initially or the cops calling off the pursuit), but given the way he was driving it's not hard to imagine the threat he posed to pedestrians.  I'm just curious if people would feel the same way had he killed someone in the crosswalk as he ran that red light.

#11 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,653 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:57

if you take away the story leading up to it and analyze the actual incident, the kid (from the sounds of it) was endangering peoples lives, I would have shot him too.

#12 OP KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:58

if you take away the story leading up to it and analyze the actual incident, the kid (from the sounds of it) was endangering peoples lives, I would have shot him too.

But why kill when you could end it by shooting the engine?  Can't run over anyone if the car isn't moving. 

#13 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:59

True, I wasn't there, maybe they felt their lives, or the lives of others were actually in danger.  Sad story either way it goes though.

#14 OP KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:01

True, I wasn't there, maybe they felt their lives, or the lives of others were actually in danger.  Sad story either way it goes though.

Theres dashcam footage. 

#15 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,653 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:25

But why kill when you could end it by shooting the engine?  Can't run over anyone if the car isn't moving. 

take any of your guns, and try to shoot an engine and make it quit.  As with all gun myths and glories of everyone being Clint Eastwood, this isn't the movies...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!