Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

Of course you would be all up in arms had the guy killed an innocent while recklessly trying to mow down the cops.

Better yet, if he had killed someone you love while doing so...but because it was the "mean ole coppers" they should offer up their lives so the cri...err victim as you guys feel he still is after crossing the line.

...what was it the cops have done to you to make you despise them so? If you don't want to talk about it I understand...

Ah, the good old "What if" game.

Sorry dude, but "what if" is a meaningless and stupid game to play, mainly because he didn't hurt anyone.

Ah, the good old "What if" game.

Sorry dude, but "what if" is a meaningless and stupid game to play, mainly because he didn't hurt anyone.

...and expecting the cops to choose a high chance of death vs. protecting themselves first and foremost is any better? Keep up the bitching and the criticizing; someone above said it best "being a cop is a thankless job".

Spare me of any expectation of having sympathy for the kid cause I don't and had I personally done what he did I know I wouldn't expect anything more.

...and expecting the cops to choose a high chance of death vs. protecting themselves first and foremost is any better? Keep up the bitching and the criticizing; someone above said it best "being a cop is a thankless job".

Spare me of any expectation of having sympathy for the kid cause I don't and had I personally done what he did I know I wouldn't expect anything more.

1. He wasn't a "kid".

2. Read my earlier posts in this thread, then try again.

1. He wasn't a "kid".

2. Read my earlier posts in this thread, then try again.

1. Pointing out my "slang" for him is the best you can come up with?

2. Re-read your posts in the thread...now what? Most of their content is your arguments in the British Cops vs. American Cops and how different they are (especially in usage of firearms and when). How does that change anything? Hell I wasn't even debating with you...are you perhaps confused?

^ Nope.  My posts in here which DID touch on the topic (such as my first one, for example), don't blame the cops at all for what happened.  The dead guy should have stopped, he's an idiot. The side track discussion was just about other police forces being trained NOT to respond with deadly force at the slightest threat.

Despite the fact that the dead guy bought it on himself, US cops ARE far too trigger happy.

I'd have to see how much damage he potentially could have done after ramming the first time. HIs actions were criminal but deadly force necessary? Just from what I read, I would say that many shots into the driver to stop more potential ramming seems overboard unless he was not pinned in and could do immediate damage to the officers or those around him.

I'd feel better if they backed off and took out the tires or thought about it. With no sign of a weapon, without seeing it, I'd have to say unnecessary but probably able to be justified by the letter of the law.

That's a judgment call. Without any video or eye witnesses, you have to give the officers the benefit of the doubt given his actions.

Don't call the cops to discipline your man-child.

^ The best choice for them to make was to back off the pursuit and pick him up later. They chose differently and a young man died for pathetic reasons.  It's sad, but eh, that's what happens in violent cultures.

I wonder exactly what possessed this kid to endanger so many lives and run from the police.  My goodness, he nearly hit cars and pedestrians and seemed completely out of control.  Even when cornered in the field at the campus, he kept trying to escape.  Was he involved in some other illegal activity that his first reaction when hailed by police was to run?  He was out of control and could have killed many people with his insane, reckless driving.  It's a tragedy that he was killed, but frankly, I don't know what else could have been done.  Shooting the engine?  The cops were never close enough to do that.  Heck, even after shots were fired the truck rammed into the police car trying to get away. 

I wonder exactly what possessed this kid to endanger so many lives and run from the police.  

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that drugs or alcohol was involved.

^ The best choice for them to make was to back off the pursuit and pick him up later. They chose differently and a young man died for pathetic reasons.  It's sad, but eh, that's what happens in violent cultures.

For the most part I agree with you but I wasn't there. When someone is acting that way, it could be irresponsible to let them loose on civilians. Generally, if you will assault police, you couldn't care less about untrained defenseless civilians. That's why we have to be able to trust law enforcement.

You have to remember cops are just dudes who like guns, maybe always wanted to wear a badge, they get scared, are aware of their mortality, and have families they want to make it home to. He wasn't de-escalating (going solely buy what I read).

I have no problem with American police having more concern for the innocent than the well being of the offender. What if a child is crossing the street nearby and they just let him speed off and in his delirium, he runs the child over? Just a hypothetical, like I said, I wasn't there.

No, you get a grip.  Just because you're pro guns, doesn't make this right.  The guy is dead for no reason.  It's over the top, and it should be a homicide.

No reason at all.

He was just sitting on his couch knitting a sweater and the cops murdered him.

Its not like he was ramming other vehicles with a truck and using it as a weapon, right?

No reason at all.

He was just sitting on his couch knitting a sweater and the cops murdered him.

Its not like he was ramming other vehicles with a truck and using it as a weapon, right?

He didn't deserve to die for that.

For the most part I agree with you but I wasn't there. 

I try to keep this in mind as we are discussing this. It's easy to make the call this side of the occurrence. I might have an entirely different perspective on things if I had been there.

He didn't deserve to die for that.

i don't think people think he should die for that, its more about "how do we stop this guy from killing somone with a 5,000 pound machine"... this wasn't a punishment move, it was a preventive move...

• Like 2