Downgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 7

Hello there!

First of all let me apologise if I'm writing in the wrong forum..

I bought a DELL Notebook Inspiron 15R 5521 with Windows 8 preinstalled, I upgraded to 8.1 but I want to downgrade to Windows 7.

What do I have to do? DELL's website doesnt mention enything (at least not that I could find)

Can be tricky, you will probably have to change the UEFI secure boot options to legacy mode in the bios. Boot from your Windows 7 disk or USB and remove all the disk partitions and perform a clean install. Once installed finding missing drivers can also be a pain as DELL may not list them for Windows 7. Search Dell forums for clues is my advice. Good luck.

Hello,

Can be tricky, you will probably have to change the UEFI secure boot options to legacy mode in the bios. Boot from your Windows 7 disk or USB and remove all the disk partitions and perform a clean install. Once installed finding missing drivers can also be a pain as DELL may not list them for Windows 7. Search Dell forums for clues is my advice. Good luck.

If his PC is x86, he can install Windows 7 perfectly with or without UEFI's secure boot.

Downgrading tricks are not recommended nowadays. I higly suggest a clean install.

I took a quick look at that model and it seems that you DO have drivers for Windows 7 (only 64 bits):

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15r-5521

Having said, Im inclinded to see that most of the hardware manufactures for the hardware in your laptop will have a 32 bit version as well.

Your Windows 8.1 Pro license has downgrade rights, so you're able to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional for free. I believe you'll just need to format Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7 without a key. Then to activate Windows 7 you'll have to phone Microsoft and explain that you're downgrading from your Windows 8.1 license.

Hello,

Your Windows 8.1 Pro license has downgrade rights, so you're able to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional for free. I believe you'll just need to format Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7 without a key. Then to activate Windows 7 you'll have to phone Microsoft and explain that you're downgrading from your Windows 8.1 license.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=J4BNsWeTJ57

Not worth the effort, there's a good chance you won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 

You also lose out on the performance increase and security Win 8 has 

Not worth the effort, there's a good chance you won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 

Dell has a support site with the drivers needed for windows 7 64 bit. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/inspiron-15r-5521

I recommend getting used to windows 8 if it is a UI issue or feel issue you are having. Windows 8 and the interface is not going to go away, if anything the next version of windows will embrace it more.  If it is a software compatibility issue then by all means downgrade.

Performance improvement aren't enough make Windows 8 win over a lot of people.  There are drivers for Windows 7 a majority of the time.

To the original poster of the thread

Check to see if you have downgrade rights. If you have a Windows 7 product key and a disc, back everything up and then install Windows 7 either via a USB thumb drive or by your Windows 7 DVD. I would recommend getting the drivers for your PC first and putting it on a thumb driver prior to installing.

If you can't disable EFI in your BIOS, you can boot Windows 7 in EFI mode, press whatever key you use to access your boot device menu and you should see the option to boot from the disk in EFI mode. If there are any drivers you can't find use a program like Piriform Speccy or Aida 64 to identify the device so you can get a driver from the manufacturer.

Should be possible, as long as it is not and OEM version.

Can I transfer my Windows 7 license from my old PC to my new one? How is it done?

I bought Windows 7 from Amazon back in the day.

You can transfer your license from one pc to another, but you will have to activate it by phone, which can take 10 minutes or so.

If it came from Amazon it will either be an upgrade or an FPP, you can't sell OEM licenses any more, it's illegal. If it's an FPP you usually get 2 installed activations before you need to call, and if it's an upgrade I believe you can legally transfer it as long as your new system is licensed, and as you have downgrade rights I would guess it is.

It does as I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my two older laptop using the same key and it works fine. 

Legally you're not supposed to do that though. With OEM licenses it's non transferrable at all. If that PC dies than the license dies with the PC. If it's retail you can transfer it between PC's, but only one at a time.

Legally you're not supposed to do that though. With OEM licenses it's non transferrable at all. If that PC dies than the license dies with the PC. If it's retail you can transfer it between PC's, but only one at a time.

I assumed the OP had the retail disc for Windows 7 and not the OEM version of the disc.

Yes I do. the Professional edition. came with two DVDs. one for 32bit and one for 64bit.

Why you ask?

Then there's nothing special you need to do. Just put the disc in the tray and run the installer - After backing up your data of course.