Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 [DGS]

[DGS]

Neowin Elite Group

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:10

Hello there!

First of all let me apologise if I'm writing in the wrong forum..

I bought a DELL Notebook Inspiron 15R 5521 with Windows 8 preinstalled, I upgraded to 8.1 but I want to downgrade to Windows 7.

What do I have to do? DELL's website doesnt mention enything (at least not that I could find)

Best Answer +LimeMaster , 09 November 2013 - 20:47

I don't think so...

It does as I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my two older laptop using the same key and it works fine. 

Go to the full post

#2 jimmy_jazz

jimmy_jazz

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:23

Can be tricky, you will probably have to change the UEFI secure boot options to legacy mode in the bios. Boot from your Windows 7 disk or USB and remove all the disk partitions and perform a clean install. Once installed finding missing drivers can also be a pain as DELL may not list them for Windows 7. Search Dell forums for clues is my advice. Good luck.

#3 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:34

Hello,

Can be tricky, you will probably have to change the UEFI secure boot options to legacy mode in the bios. Boot from your Windows 7 disk or USB and remove all the disk partitions and perform a clean install. Once installed finding missing drivers can also be a pain as DELL may not list them for Windows 7. Search Dell forums for clues is my advice. Good luck.

If his PC is x86, he can install Windows 7 perfectly with or without UEFI's secure boot.

Downgrading tricks are not recommended nowadays. I higly suggest a clean install.

I took a quick look at that model and it seems that you DO have drivers for Windows 7 (only 64 bits):

http://www.dell.com/...spiron-15r-5521

Having said, Im inclinded to see that most of the hardware manufactures for the hardware in your laptop will have a 32 bit version as well.

#4 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:51

Your Windows 8.1 Pro license has downgrade rights, so you're able to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional for free. I believe you'll just need to format Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7 without a key. Then to activate Windows 7 you'll have to phone Microsoft and explain that you're downgrading from your Windows 8.1 license.

#5 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:02

Hello,

Your Windows 8.1 Pro license has downgrade rights, so you're able to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional for free. I believe you'll just need to format Windows 8.1 and install Windows 7 without a key. Then to activate Windows 7 you'll have to phone Microsoft and explain that you're downgrading from your Windows 8.1 license.

http://www.microsoft...bid=J4BNsWeTJ57

#6 OP [DGS]

[DGS]

Neowin Elite Group

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:55

Yes my system is x64.. and not Windows 8 Pro

so that's it for downgrading at least legally..

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 November 2013 - 13:15

You don't have a Windows 7 disc? 

#8 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2013 - 13:24

Not worth the effort, there's a good chance you won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 

You also lose out on the performance increase and security Win 8 has 

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 28

Posted 09 November 2013 - 14:45

Not worth the effort, there's a good chance you won't be able to find drivers for Win 7 

Dell has a support site with the drivers needed for windows 7 64 bit. 

http://www.dell.com/...spiron-15r-5521

I recommend getting used to windows 8 if it is a UI issue or feel issue you are having. Windows 8 and the interface is not going to go away, if anything the next version of windows will embrace it more.  If it is a software compatibility issue then by all means downgrade.

#10 OP [DGS]

[DGS]

Neowin Elite Group

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:21

You don't have a Windows 7 disc? 

Yes I do. the Professional edition. came with two DVDs. one for 32bit and one for 64bit.

Why you ask?

#11 ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:24

Back up your stuff on a separate hard drive, format the OS hardrive, and then install 7 using a 7 DVD or USB.

Downgrading sucks.

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:28

Performance improvement aren't enough make Windows 8 win over a lot of people.  There are drivers for Windows 7 a majority of the time.

To the original poster of the thread

Check to see if you have downgrade rights. If you have a Windows 7 product key and a disc, back everything up and then install Windows 7 either via a USB thumb drive or by your Windows 7 DVD. I would recommend getting the drivers for your PC first and putting it on a thumb driver prior to installing.

#13 OP [DGS]

[DGS]

Neowin Elite Group

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:38

Can I transfer my Windows 7 license from my old PC to my new one? How is it done?

I bought Windows 7 from Amazon back in the day.

#14 mcnelson

mcnelson

Amateur nerd

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:39

I have exactly the same laptop and installed win 7 on it with no problems - but used a separate drive, as advised above.

#15 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2013 - 20:43

If you're only frustrated with the tiles and want the start menu back have you considered using Startisback+ instead?