AMD or Intel route?

AMD A6-3620 Quad Core APU, Run circles around my old Single Core AMD System,  Handles all I throw at it, Eventually may get an SSD, but with only space for 1 internal drive inside, not too sure on that part yet.   

DDR4 is coming around at the end of this year, isn't it?

No, you can not. The first chipsets to support DDR4 will come out next year.

"Intel Corp. last week showcased the world?s first demo system running code-named Haswell-E microprocessor as well as DDR4 memory modules.."

"Intel plans to release its next-generation high-end desktop platform featuring Haswell-E microprocessor, Wellsburg (X99) core-logic and DDR4 memory sometimes in Q3/Q4 2014, according to unofficial information."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20130916233046_Intel_Demonstrates_System_with_Haswell_E_Microprocessor_DDR4_Memory.html

i would highly recommend you dont buy Asrock.

Why not? I have used Asrock boards (friends also), and we've all had excellent luck. None of our boards have died...Plus, they are Asus's cheaper division, and have a huge marketshare in terms of motherboards (top 3)

Why not? I have used Asrock boards (friends also), and we've all had excellent luck. None of our boards have died...Plus, they are Asus's cheaper division, and have a huge marketshare in terms of motherboards (top 3)

Don't listen to him. High end boards from Asrock are great.

A lot of people are not fans of them because they started out as budget board manufacturers for Asus, but they have become  so successful that they are now the third largest motherboard company and have gone independent. They have been trying to reduce their name being associated with being a 'budget brand' and compete with ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI. They have come a long way since then and gaining a momentum for quality reputation for their motherboards. In fact so much so that Asus wants them back.

Their high-end boards are some of thee best on the market in terms of quality to performance. Hands down the best bang for the buck too. Their Extreme and OC series have collected all accolades ahead MSI, Gigabyte and in some cases ahead of Asus. In most cases editor's choice. I'm specifically thinking of the Z87 Extreme 4 and Z87 OC Formula.

• Like 2

A lot of people are not fans of them because they started out as budget board manufacturers for Asus, but they have become so successful that they are now the third largest motherboard company and have gone independent. They have been trying to reduce their name being associated with being a 'budget brand' and compete with ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI. They have come a long way since then and gaining a momentum for quality reputation for their motherboards. In fact so much so that Asus wants them back.

Their high-end boards are some of thee best on the market in terms of quality to performance. Hands down the best bang for the buck too. Their Extreme and OC series have collected all accolades ahead MSI, Gigabyte and in some cases ahead of Asus. In most cases editor's choice. I'm specifically thinking of the Z87 Extreme 4 and Z87 OC Formula.

I personally have the Z87 Extreme 6. It was a good deal with a i5 4670 on Newegg. Board is great so far. I have another Linux computer with a cheaper Asrock board, and its working great so far. I'm happy for the money.

Go the AMD route. For what you're doing you will not notice (much of) a difference. In your Adobe suite, unless you bring out the stop watch to time things, things will be generally quick. With that extra money get an SSD if you don't already have one.

Welcome to Neowin ;)

I would recommend Intel, you'll save yourself $800 p/m on the electic bill.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic with saving $800 comment :p - not sure what p/m means.

I personally have the Z87 Extreme 6. It was a good deal with a i5 4670 on Newegg. Board is great so far. I have another Linux computer with a cheaper Asrock board, and its working great so far. I'm happy for the money.

That's a great board. The Extreme 6 has a few more ports and is a little thicker than the Extreme 4, so it better supports heavy CPU coolers like the Noctua -D14. It's frankly the best board along side the Asus Z87 Pro.

Intel has been generally better than AMD since about mid-2006 basically as prior to that AMD was ahead of Intel for years.

AMD might be a okay choice if you get a good enough deal but generally speaking Intel is the all around better choice. but like others have mentioned Intel CPU's tend to be more power efficient to which further puts Intel ahead.

i have the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. i have had it almost a year now

works out of the box with windows 8 & 8.1 anything below you need to install drivers

yeah, it's just my opinion. i had an Asrock board years ago that failed w/i a month. Last year, an acquaintance of mine bought a brand new Asrock board, and it was DOA.

A lot of people are not fans of them because they started out as budget board manufacturers for Asus, but they have become  so successful that they are now the third largest motherboard company and have gone independent. They have been trying to reduce their name being associated with being a 'budget brand' and compete with ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI. They have come a long way since then and gaining a momentum for quality reputation for their motherboards. In fact so much so that Asus wants them back.

youre probably right - i equate it to Ford. My 1st car was a Ford, and it was a huge pos. to this day i'll never consider buying a Ford. Same w/ Asrock :wacko:

Welcome to Neowin ;)

I would recommend Intel, you'll save yourself $800 p/m on the electic bill.

I still cant believe someone said to use 1 brand if youre in a colder climate - I wonder if original thought is something complete alien for some people. - just regurgitate what they hear ...