Anyone own a Canon 40mm STM lense? I need help / advice.

Hellow fellow Neowins....

Just got my new Canon 40mm STM.

I have a question for those of you who own the 40mm. Is your focus ring smooth all around?

I have to ask since my focus ring is kinda stiff ( about 5% ) in one part and smooth for the rest of the ring cycles.

If my 40mm is defective I want to replace it within my 15 Day refund / replacement window.

To be honest, if you're doubting the product itself, what I would do is the following.

If you bought it from a high street shop: Take it in and ask the staff if they could grab another out for you to look at and compare, 99% of the time they'll do that for you unless they're feeling particularly grumpy. :lol:

If you bought it online: Return it and then see if the replacement is similar.

In general, pop into a high street shop and ask to have a go with one, don't say why, if they ask just say you're considering one. This should be ok. :)

Take it to the camera store in your town and they will test it for you... if it is bad, they will tell you before they start repair for a fee. Unless you have warranty for it... they will fix it at no charge... or a replacement if necessary.

To be honest, if you're doubting the product itself, what I would do is the following.

If you bought it from a high street shop: Take it in and ask the staff if they could grab another out for you to look at and compare, 99% of the time they'll do that for you unless they're feeling particularly grumpy. :lol:

If you bought it online: Return it and then see if the replacement is similar.

In general, pop into a high street shop and ask to have a go with one, don't say why, if they ask just say you're considering one. This should be ok. :)

High street shop, never heard that before. I'm going to start using that here in the US. It already drives people mad when they hear my GPS say motorway.

Anyway, on topic: I'd try another copy of the lens to see if the problem persists.

Hellow fellow Neowins....

Just got my new Canon 40mm STM.

I have a question for those of you who own the 40mm. Is your focus ring smooth all around?

I have to ask since my focus ring is kinda stiff ( about 5% ) in one part and smooth for the rest of the ring cycles.

If my 40mm is defective I want to replace it within my 15 Day refund / replacement window.

I can't speak in regards to the 40mm but I have a 50mm and it was smooth all around. I mention it because it looks as though they are made with the same material.

Also, slightly off topic. I just looked this lens up on Amazon and saw it was reasonably priced - Would there be a key difference between owning this and the f1.8 50mm or should I invest in a ultra wide angle lens if I don't have one at the moment?

Thanks for your imput folks

Got mine 40mm STM on Amazon.

BTW Amazon is sending my a replacement. Hope the replacement lense don't have the same stiff focus ring issue. :D

I can't speak in regards to the 40mm but I have a 50mm and it was smooth all around. I mention it because it looks as though they are made with the same material.

Also, slightly off topic. I just looked this lens up on Amazon and saw it was reasonably priced - Would there be a key difference between owning this and the f1.8 50mm or should I invest in a ultra wide angle lens if I don't have one at the moment?

- Metal connection Mount

- Smaller footprint

- Less noise with STM motor

Wish the 40mm STM would come with a lower fstop. But I am fine with fstop @ 2.8.

• Like 1