When the father of a fourth grader learned that a teacher had been  bullying the boy and his classmates, he was determined to prove it. His solution? Sending the 9-year-old to school with a hidden tape recorder to catch her in the act.

In mid-September, when Isaac Robinson, 43, of Villa Rica, Georgia, asked his son (whose name he declined to provide) how school was that day, he sensed something was wrong. ?He kept saying, ?Fine? but I probed and he finally said that he didn?t want to go to school because he doesn?t like the way his teacher talks to the class,? Robinson tells Yahoo Shine. ?When I pressed him, he said she tells them, ?Shut up? and even threatened to take the kids to jail because they were misbehaving.?

Robinson wanted to report the incident to Villa Rica Elementary School, but he had a feeling the accusations would require proof. ?I knew it would be my son?s word against his teacher?s, so I asked him if he felt comfortable secretly recording his class,? says Robinson. ?Under Georgia law, you can tape-record a conversation as long as one party knows about it.?

The following week, Robinson gave his son a tape recorder and instructed him to hide it in his backpack while at school. Though Robinson was prepared to hear some inappropriate comments on the tape upon the boy's return from school, he was shocked by the extent of the teacher's cruelty. ?The teacher said to the children, ?Get your ugly butt over here,? ?I like you, but you make me want to slap you,? ?Get out of my face before I machete chop you, and ?Shut up. I mean that in the nicest way, but shut up.??
Robinson immediately called the school and arranged a meeting with the teacher (he declined to provide her name) and the assistant principal. ?I asked the teacher if she said these things and she denied it,? says Robinson. ?I could have revealed the tape at that point, but the school wanted to investigate the matter on their own, so I let them do their thing.?

A week later, Robinson received a letter from the school stating that there was not sufficient evidence of verbal abuse. So Robinson scheduled a second meeting with the teacher, the assistant principal, and the assistant superintendent of human resources for Carroll County Schools. ?This time, I took the recorder out of my pocket and hit play.? He asked the teacher if the voice on the recorder was hers and says that she replied that she "didn?t know."

After playing the recording Robinson says the teacher was asked to leave the room and he was told the investigation would indeed resume in light of the new evidence. Villa Rica Elementary School did not respond to Yahoo Shine's calls for comment, however, Robinson says that after taking a week-long leave of absence, the teacher is currently working at the school.

more

it also depends HOW the comments were said... When I was younger we had an amazing teacher who still to this day is EXTREMELY respected and thought to be the best teacher of our school back then and he also talked this way. These comments "?Get your ugly butt over here,? ?I like you, but you make me want to slap you,? ?Get out of my face before I machete chop you, and ?Shut up. I mean that in the nicest way, but shut up.??  can be extremely candid, much they way you say to your friends, family, kids. Much like a text message can mean something 100% different then a vocal communication, actual words are only part of the meaning, tone also dictates so much of the actual meaning. The video for me won't play so not sure if it plays the actual recording or not, but without the recording, there is no way to tell if it was in humor or meanness.

You know, when I was a kid, I had a teacher who clearly didn't like children.  I was an achiever so never got on her bad side, but she would belittle kids, mock them for not reading a word properly.  I told the head teacher, because even at 10 I knew this was wrong, and was promptly put on detention.

Classy!

• Like 2

You know, when I was a kid, I had a teacher who clearly didn't like children.  I was an achiever so never got on her bad side, but she would belittle kids, mock them for not reading a word properly.  I told the head teacher, because even at 10 I knew this was wrong, and was promptly put on detention.

Classy!

Similar happened to me too, but I was a slow learner in school

I'm glad for a lot of the changes that have been introduced now, at least social services got that right.

I would expect that sort of conduct from a child but never a teacher. Then again a university professor might act that way lol.

Fire the asshat :D

When I was in middle school, I had been home-schooled my entire life before that so when I ended up in 7th grade in a real school, I was awkward and uncomfortable in a classroom and it showed. I had a teacher who would make fun of me from the front of the class and made up a derogatory nickname for me that follow me for the rest of middle school. I remember a few particular boys that the teachers parents where friends with would repeatedly trip me when we were playing soccer and he would always say :"that's not what I saw" one time I got up after being tripped and pushed one of them and told him to stop tripping me. I was almost suspended and the teacher told me how I should learn to not pick on people who where bigger than me because they could "beat me up". Looking back, I don't know why I didn't say anything to my family or anyone else. It was humiliating enough and I thought everyone would just side with the teacher.

Fire that b*tch, she has no business being a teacher.

I have taught (not K-12 though) and am married to a K-12 teacher. I agree - she has no place in a classroom, especially in the lower grades.

• 4 years later...
On 11/10/2013 at 11:24 AM, Hum said:

When the father of a fourth grader learned that a teacher had been  bullying the boy and his classmates, he was determined to prove it. His solution? Sending the 9-year-old to school with a hidden tape recorder to catch her in the act.

In mid-September, when Isaac Robinson, 43, of Villa Rica, Georgia, asked his son (whose name he declined to provide) how school was that day, he sensed something was wrong. ?He kept saying, ?Fine? but I probed and he finally said that he didn?t want to go to school because he doesn?t like the way his teacher talks to the class,? Robinson tells Yahoo Shine. ?When I pressed him, he said she tells them, ?Shut up? and even threatened to take the kids to jail because they were misbehaving.?

Robinson wanted to report the incident to Villa Rica Elementary School, but he had a feeling the accusations would require proof. ?I knew it would be my son?s word against his teacher?s, so I asked him if he felt comfortable secretly recording his class,? says Robinson. ?Under Georgia law, you can tape-record a conversation as long as one party knows about it.?

The following week, Robinson gave his son a tape recorder and instructed him to hide it in his backpack while at school. Though Robinson was prepared to hear some inappropriate comments on the tape upon the boy's return from school, he was shocked by the extent of the teacher's cruelty. ?The teacher said to the children, ?Get your ugly butt over here,? ?I like you, but you make me want to slap you,? ?Get out of my face before I machete chop you, and ?Shut up. I mean that in the nicest way, but shut up.??
Robinson immediately called the school and arranged a meeting with the teacher (he declined to provide her name) and the assistant principal. ?I asked the teacher if she said these things and she denied it,? says Robinson. ?I could have revealed the tape at that point, but the school wanted to investigate the matter on their own, so I let them do their thing.?

A week later, Robinson received a letter from the school stating that there was not sufficient evidence of verbal abuse. So Robinson scheduled a second meeting with the teacher, the assistant principal, and the assistant superintendent of human resources for Carroll County Schools. ?This time, I took the recorder out of my pocket and hit play.? He asked the teacher if the voice on the recorder was hers and says that she replied that she "didn?t know."

After playing the recording Robinson says the teacher was asked to leave the room and he was told the investigation would indeed resume in light of the new evidence. Villa Rica Elementary School did not respond to Yahoo Shine's calls for comment, however, Robinson says that after taking a week-long leave of absence, the teacher is currently working at the school.

more

I really need to know the name of this teacher. 

33 minutes ago, Needs to know said:

I really need to know the name of this teacher. 

Please don't revive old threads. Four years is a long time, and the link to the Yahoo article doesn't even work anymore.

<Thread closed>

• Nick H. locked this topic