My 600 seconds with the PLAYSTATION 4

Today I just spent some time with the PLAYSTATION 4. The GameStop at the mall down the street from my house, just so happens to have a demo unit to try out. Here are my thoughts...

Sony finally listened. The Dual Shock 4 is easily without question or debate, the best controller Sony has ever made. It feels very very comfortable in my oversized hands. I'm not sure how Sony did it, but the DS has gotten a much needed size increase, but without sacrificing comfort for hands of all sizes.

A kid who had much smaller hands than I do, was playing FIFA and he kept going on about the controller feeling amazing. My first thought was "Oh boy, if the controller is just right for this kids small hands (kid was about 14-16yrs old), it's not going to be comfortable for me at all." Let's just say I'm happy that I was wrong. When I finally got my mitts on the DS4, my thoughts were the same as the kid before me.. This controller feels very very good in my hands. It's like the DS4 auto adjust its size/feel in the users hands.

The console is nice and sleek, smaller than I though it would be. It speaks to Sonys engineers talents how they managed to get all of this in a compact case without the PS4 over heating.

Now on to the part I know people want to hear or shall I say read about..., the games...

I spent time with FIFA, Knack, and Octo Dad.

FIFA looks better than its current counterpart, but not by much. It's definitely been cleaned up, but it just doesn't quite scream next gen. The gameplay looks and plays smoothly though. The animations were spot on. There was no tearing, or frame rate drops to be seen, and we all know that's a good thing.

Knack, is... Knack, is for your kids if you have any. The game plays smoothly the controls were more than responsive, this also had to be a an early build as well, the controls were limited to attacking with the square button, and jumping with X. And I got a little further in the game, there was a pop up, that showed more powerful attacks that can be done like a tornado attack and such.

I spent the least time with Octo Dad, but this game seems like it can be interesting and frustrating at the same time. It's like the controls are very very loose and all over the place, and this test your skills with the Octo Dad on screen. The right analog moves the tentacles and such, the controls once again very responsive and smooth.

Although all the games look and play smoothly, you can tell that they are earlier builds of code.

There was one concern I did have though. When exiting out of a game, there was an actual 92second counter/load screen icon. I am going to chalk this up to it being a demo station, and not what us consumers will see when we bring it home.

There were other titles on the unit, but I didn't want to hog it up as there were others waiting to get their hands on it as well.

Those who are getting PS4, I believe your gaming needs will be met.

• Like 4

Thanks for the hands on report.

Its too bad you didn't get time with any other games.  Knack interest me a bit, but I still haven't decided what launch title I'll be getting for the ps4. I guess I could just get some of the indie titles.  I could get KZ just because it looks so great, but I'm not really in the mood for an fps.

Thanks for the hands on report.

Its too bad you didn't get time with any other games. Knack interest me a bit, but I still haven't decided what launch title I'll be getting for the ps4. I guess I could just get some of the indie titles. I could get KZ just because it looks so great, but I'm not really in the mood for an fps.

I wish I could of gotten my hands on the other titles as well. They were mostly Indie games.

Target is doing a buy 2 get one free on PS4 games this week.. I just picked up KillZone, Assassins Creed IV, and CoD:Ghost (which will get exchanged for BF4 once on shelf Tuesday)

I just looked at the back of the CoD:Ghost and it says 49GB minimum HDD space

And KillZone minimum is 45GB HDD minimum...

This will put a dent in my all digital dream... With only 250gb month cap,

I just looked at the back of the CoD:Ghost and it says 49GB minimum HDD space

And KillZone minimum is 45GB HDD minimum...

This will put a dent in my all digital dream... With only 250gb month cap,

If Yoshida's tweets 2 weeks ago are true, then the game only caches the data on the HDD and doesn't install it like the PS3/X1/360 do.

If Yoshida's tweets 2 weeks ago are true, then the game only caches the data on the HDD and doesn't install it like the PS3/X1/360 do.

I think he was talking about digital downloads.  He was considering buying his games digitally instead of at retail.

• Like 1

I think he was talking about digital downloads. He was considering buying his games digitally instead of at retail.

I have physical copies of Ghost and KillZone in my hands now, and the install numbers I listed are on the game box...

post-469420-0-32316000-1384117047.jpg

post-469420-0-81918800-1384117081.jpg

Oh I get that, I was just pointing out that you were disappointed in the sizes because that would limit what games you could buy digitally due to your internet caps.

Yeah... It sucks...

I wish I could of gotten my hands on the other titles as well. They were mostly Indie games.

Target is doing a buy 2 get one free on PS4 games this week.. I just picked up KillZone, Assassins Creed IV, and CoD:Ghost (which will get exchanged for BF4 once on shelf Tuesday)

What other games did they have in stock for PS4?

It's kind of funny about the above.. I posted my concern about that in the thread where the guy was posting about getting his Xbone early.  I voiced concern over low caps and how it would affect digital only.  I was basically told to suck it up and that it was a non-issue.  Placed an order online yesterday for KZ:SF hoping to get it within the next week or so, my PS4 won't be in my hands for atleast another 2 weeks.

What other games did they have in stock for PS4?

Stock varies from Target to Target...

The one where I live had, KillZone in stock, Knack (surprisingly sold out), CoD:Ghost... I took a reserve card for Assassins creed, I will do a return and then buy all 3 on the same receipt so that one of the games will be free.

Some stores have Madden and NBA 2K14 in with the games I posted as well...

It's kind of funny about the above.. I posted my concern about that in the thread where the guy was posting about getting his Xbone early.  I voiced concern over low caps and how it would affect digital only.  I was basically told to suck it up and that it was a non-issue.  Placed an order online yesterday for KZ:SF hoping to get it within the next week or so, my PS4 won't be in my hands for atleast another 2 weeks.

Its definitely a problem.  With these disc install sizes, not only is it an issue for digital downloads, its also an issue for local storage.

I know that the new consoles can cache data and not leave it permanently which helps a lot, but if the performance is better when the game is actually installed, then it will be aggravating to realize how few you can actually have installed at one time. 

I know I can replace my ps4 hard drive, or use an external with my x1, but it doesn't change the fact that these sizes seem too large for what your getting.

Stock varies from Target to Target...

The one where I live had, KillZone in stock, Knack (surprisingly sold out), CoD:Ghost... I took a reserve card for Assassins creed, I will do a return and then buy all 3 on the same receipt so that one of the games will be free.

Some stores have Madden and NBA 2K14 in with the games I posted as well...

Interesting. Thanks

There was one concern I did have though. When exiting out of a game, there was an actual 92second counter/load screen icon. I am going to chalk this up to it being a demo station, and not what us consumers will see when we bring it home.

I thought this was just some trolling on 4chan and reddit, There was a video yesterday showing around a minute and half worth of loading when closing apps or games to get back to the main screen. I can't find the video on youtube at the moment again but.

Edit - Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIWXv8wWdk#t=40 The neogaf defense force came in full force once it was linked in a Sony thread but over there.

I plan to buy a game console on December... I was wondering why you got a PS4 instead of a XBOX One?

anything I should consider before buy any of the consoles? tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I plan to buy a game console on December... I was wondering why you got a PS4 instead of a XBOX One?

anything I should consider before buy any of the consoles? tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I also have a Xbox One coming in 2weeks as well.

I was really on the fence about the PS4, as to get it or not. Then Sony started saying and showing all the right things. I simply couldn't let the pre-order go.

I'm still on the fence, rather I should eBay the PS4 or not. Because the game I really want to play for is inFamous:SS, and that won't be out till 2014.

I would strongly consider swapping out the hard drive for those who are tech savvy enough to do so.

If I decide to keep the PS4, I will be ordering a 1-2tb HDD for it.

I know/knew I wanted an Xbox One on day One.

The controller sounds nice!

I was pleasantly surprised by it as well. My mindset was to be disappointed in advance before even picking the DS4. But when I actually held it, it felt natural... Like it was meant to be this way a long time ago. Real trigger, the analogs were just right. And you tell they narrowed the dead zone on the analog sticks just by moving them around.

The touch pad is clickable. In videos it seems flimsy. But when you actually touch it and click it. The is just enough click, but also just rigid enough. Giving it a nice balance.

I thought this was just some trolling on 4chan and reddit, There was a video yesterday showing around a minute and half worth of loading when closing apps or games to get back to the main screen. I can't find the video on youtube at the moment again but.

Edit - Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIWXv8wWdk#t=40 The neogaf defense force came in full force once it was linked in a Sony thread but over there.

That's ######ed up.  Hopefully they've got that fixed in their 1.5 patch.  One of the bigger reasons I'm excited for X1 is the lack of waiting when switching between just about anything.  Waiting 90 seconds every time would drive me crazy.

That's ****ed up.  Hopefully they've got that fixed in their 1.5 patch.  One of the bigger reasons I'm excited for X1 is the lack of waiting when switching between just about anything.  Waiting 90 seconds every time would drive me crazy.

I thought the 92second timer was due to it being a demo unit. Every time you closed out of a game, there it was.. And actually counting down at that... I really hope that the retail units consumers get, don't have that up there.