Photo

Some of Microsoft's original plans make complete sense now.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:15

Family sharing wasn't rejected by the community. The 24 hour check in and turning the retail discs into install files and digital licenses was. They didn't need 24 hour check in and they could have let discs function normally while making the download versions operate according to their original plan (BUT NO 24 HOUR CHECK IN!)

I never said that family sharing was rejected.

What was rejected was part of the system that MS was using to make that possible.

MS created the wrong system, simple as that.  Neither you or I know why they made the system they way they did, but there you have it.

MS knows the family sharing thing was popular, that's why they want to bring it back.

Because it makes the most sense that it was a load of crap. 

If publishers were OK with it for downloaded games then why are they no longer OK with it for downloaded games? And if they required a 24 hour check in to make sure the owner isn't playing it for someone else to play it then that could have been kept. Heck they could have even made it so that the owner's Xbox must ALWAYS be online for someone ELSE to play their game and it would've still been great. 

But it just makes no sense for publishers to allow users to digitally and easily share their games with 10 people with no restrictions on the games. There were rumors of the developers being able to know if the game was started via family share so they could disable features or impose a time limit. 

Think of the PS3. Originally you could download your content to five consoles that you had to have your profile logged in to. The publishers were NOT ok with that. They forced Sony to change it to 2. Now you think they'd be fine with letting people share their games with 10 people EASILY? Without giving people your username and password? 

Just use common sense. They kept it vague and publishers have a history of not allowing you to share your digital games. And why would they? They'd lose a lot of money. I know I had already talked to a few people as soon as they announced it. The conversation was always "if family sharing turns out to be legit, we can form a group of friends to buy just one copy of predominantly single-player games and share it!"

I'm not sure what else there is to say.  A whole bunch of assumptions.

You could be right, I'm just trying to point out that there could have been some crappy red tape that prevented MS from removing the drm and still preserving the deal they had worked out with publishers to only apply it to digital titles.

Maybe publishers were more open to supporting the sharing features as long as retail titles were also tied into the system.  Like I said, they may have been tempted by the chance to curtail used game sales. 

So now they are apparently working to bring the features back just for digital titles.  That probably involves convincing publishers that its worth it to them to support it.

To be honest though, who cares at this point.  That system is gone and we will wait and see what they offer down the road.

#47 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:35

They could still go back to the original idea by releasing boxed copies with a disc that can only be used for installation and package a code in the box that unlocks the digital copy of the game. This way you could avoid having to download a 50GB game, and you wouldn't have a second copy of the game that you can sell. 

#48 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 November 2013 - 15:07

Nothing is stopping Microsoft or Sony from implementing a digital distribution system modelled on that of Steam, with games that can be redownloaded on any device as long as you're logged in. In fact it would be surprising if they didn't pursue that avenue. At the same time, games can still be sold on physical media as they have been. Those who aren't limited by slow internet connections and download caps will likely take advantage of digital distribution, especially if it allows them to preload games and be ready to play them on release from the comfort of their own home. Value can be added through pre-order bonuses and discounts.

The thing that most surprised me is that neither company is offering premium SKUs with enhanced storage. With next-gen titles taking 50GB of storage space the decision to include only 500GB of storage was a ridiculous one and will seriously inconvenience gamers who play a lot of different titles. One of the things I love about Steam is that I can keep all my games installed and not have to worry about juggling installs or frequent large downloads. My Steam folder is nearly 2TB in size and is constantly expanding. The constant disc juggling, large installs and storage management will be one of the great inconveniences of the next-generation.

#49 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 12 November 2013 - 15:54

Nothing is stopping Microsoft or Sony from implementing a digital distribution system modelled on that of Steam, with games that can be redownloaded on any device as long as you're logged in. In fact it would be surprising if they didn't pursue that avenue. At the same time, games can still be sold on physical media as they have been. Those who aren't limited by slow internet connections and download caps will likely take advantage of digital distribution, especially if it allows them to preload games and be ready to play them on release from the comfort of their own home. Value can be added through pre-order bonuses and discounts.

The thing that most surprised me is that neither company is offering premium SKUs with enhanced storage. With next-gen titles taking 50GB of storage space the decision to include only 500GB of storage was a ridiculous one and will seriously inconvenience gamers who play a lot of different titles. One of the things I love about Steam is that I can keep all my games installed and not have to worry about juggling installs or frequent large downloads. My Steam folder is nearly 2TB in size and is constantly expanding. The constant disc juggling, large installs and storage management will be one of the great inconveniences of the next-generation.

We can all agree that both Microsoft and Sony, had a "Get the box out the door" and go patch happy for next gen..

I think the distribution model will be upgraded for the better within the next 24months of the PS4 and One's life.  ISP's and their caps are a huge barrier that we the consumer know all too well..  So Microsoft and Sony both also have to recognize this as well