Microphone not working in Win 8.1

Since updating to Windows 8.1, my old analog headset that uses the pink analog plug no longer works.I used both a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Gamer sound card and the on board High Definition Audio Device and none of them is showing any sound when i speak in the microphone

This microphone worked fine in regular Windows 8, did Windows 8.1 stop analog headsets from working? The same headset works fine in Windows 7 on a different PC

Is the device disabled?

In Control Panel, click on Device Manager, click on the View menu tab, select Show hidden devices, and click on Audio inputs and outputs.
Alternatively, open the Run dialog box or Command Prompt and type devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager.

In Device Manager, is your microphone listed and enabled?

Microsoft has a Compatibility Center. Check to see if your microphone is compatible with Windows 8.1. Make sure that you have the latest drivers from your manufacturer.

Is the device disabled?

In Control Panel, click on Device Manager, click on the View menu tab, select Show hidden devices, and click on Audio inputs and outputs.

Alternatively, open the Run dialog box or Command Prompt and type devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager.

In Device Manager, is your microphone listed and enabled?

Microsoft has a Compatibility Center. Check to see if your microphone is compatible with Windows 8.1. Make sure that you have the latest drivers from your manufacturer.

Both Sound cards is activated and they can play sounds. When i speak into the microphone, it is not recording any sound. The compatibility center did not work since my mic plugs directly into the sound card and not from the usb

ms0g1l.png

I got exactly the same problem. Neither SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio or Internal soundcard works.

Output work fine but microphone is dead.

Worked the first weeks(but I had some problems with X-Fi). I just assumed the X-Fi sound card broke, but same problem on internal and I have tried different microphones.

Microphone on the webcam(usb) works fine though :/

Would you like to list your X-Fi sound card model number(s)? It may help us pinpoint your issues by narrowing search results.

Below are links from Creative's X-Fi website.

In addition, it may be wise to visit Microsoft's Fix It Solution Center. Listed is an option to diagnose audio problems.

From the Solution Center, click on the Play games, music or sounds, pictures or video category, and then select the Automatically Diagnose and fix Windows audio recording problems option.

Would you like to list your X-Fi sound card model number(s)? It may help us pinpoint your issues by narrowing search results.

Below are links from Creative's X-Fi website.

In addition, it may be wise to visit Microsoft's Fix It Solution Center. Listed is an option to diagnose audio problems.

From the Solution Center, click on the Play games, music or sounds, pictures or video category, and then select the Automatically Diagnose and fix Windows audio recording problems option.

Regular Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio(SB0790).

Microsoft "Fix it" does not work with 8.1 yet... interesting.

We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time.

Strange thing is that webcam(usb) microphone works perfect.

I went and brought a new sound card(Asus XONAR DG) but I got the same problem?!?!?!?!?!

Well I had to buy a new either way, the X-Fi was OLD!

Regular Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio(SB0790).

Hello,

I apologize if I've asked this before, but do you have the most recent drivers for your Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (SB0790)? According to Creative, the latest driver for your device was released on December 10, 2012. Although the driver is not listed as compatible with Windows 8.1 on its own page, it is listed as compatible on the driver compatibility chart.

Microsoft "Fix it" does not work with 8.1 yet... interesting.

We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time.

I'm sorry. I should have seen this coming.

Strange thing is that webcam(usb) microphone works perfect.

I went and brought a new sound card(Asus XONAR DG) but I got the same problem?!?!?!?!?!

Well I had to buy a new either way, the X-Fi was OLD!

Other members have described similar issues with the Sound Blaster.

Is it possible to test the hardware (specifically your Asus XONAR DG) on another operating system on the same machine, or on another machine altogether?

it worked fine with the drivers in 8.0 but not in 8.1

the drivers are compatible, but not fully compatible.

I think creative needs new management. there focus is not that great on audio cards. and more on headphones for the current generation population. 

the drivers are compatible, but not fully compatible.

Apparently not.

Do you, by any chance, happen to have the Creative Audio Control Panel application installed?

I still have the same problem, even if I removed the X-Fi and uninstalled all three software that Creative installs.

Feels like it might not only be Creative that is the cause...

ASRock X58 Extreme3 http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X58%20Extreme3

ASUS XONAR DG (X-Fi Xtreme Audio before) http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DG/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i just registered to give you the following link:

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Creative%20PCI%20Express%20Sound%20Blaster%20X-Fi%20Titanium%20Sound%20Card&vendor=Creative&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows+8.1]Microsoft Support Forum[/url]

I have the same problem and this worked for me. Good luck!

Just in case the link doesn't work in the future, here is what it says:

After my Win8.1 update, everything that was working on Win8 is fine with the exception of my audio drivers. In short, every time Windows restarts, my drivers/sound settings revert to default settings and I get no sound.

If I go into the Console Launcher and change my mode from Game to Audio Creation, suddenly everything 'kicks in' and begins working, normal sound, etc. But my settings are all at default and I have to reconfigure them (for example, change the flexi-jack from line-in to microphone so that I can use my headset microphone, and change speakers from 2.1 to 7.1). No further issues while I'm using the system at that point. But once Windows restarts, sound no longer works and everything is back to default. Change the mode, and I'm back in business but need to reconfigure everything again.

another solution would be to buy a Z series audio card from creative.

problem is xfi cards, is they are getting old. and so is the support. 

the software that runs the drivers for the xfi has not been updated in almost 4 years. even back then drivers where flaky 

I ended up getting a ZxR card and no problems with mic. and drivers give me no problems

the software that runs the drivers for the xfi has not been updated in almost 4 years. even back then drivers where flaky 

I ended up getting a ZxR card and no problems with mic. and drivers give me no problems

Not for me, the problem persist even after I brought a new sound card. Feels like xfi broke something in Windows :s

When I feel like doing a reinstall of windows it will probably work.

Any of the Creative PCI Express sound cards with a DSP end-runs a known hardware issue with the PCI sound cards (specifically, the X-Fi cards) unrelated to the issue you're having.

The issue is an address bug at the 4 GB area (therefore, it only affects PAE-equipped or x64 operating systems AND if you have 4GB or more of system RAM) - it was a minor nuisance with XP; however, it's a decidedly bigger issue given the x64 boom since.  The "bug" manifests in Windows 7 or later as a BSOD (WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR).

While the Z is the latest/greatest PCI Express sound card, the earlier PCI Express sound cards (Recon3D, TitaniumHD, etc) use the same SoundCore DSP that the Z does - the difference is that the Z series has newer DACs and supporting electronics.

That particular issue is, in fact, the ONLY issue I had with my low-profile XtremeGamer - however, that was ALSO the reason I retired it (replaced by a refurbished Recon3D Fatality) and did NOT pass it to my Mom (which is atypical) - she has more system RAM than I do.

Curiousity factor - I have to wonder if the Recon3D could, in fact, use the same software that the Z does (remember, the same was largely true of the Audigy and X-Fi, despite the DSP differences - the Recon3D and Z don't differ even there).

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a Satellite C55-A with Windows 8 preinstalled and have the standard hardware setup it came with. A worker told me to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and I did so. There should be no problems with anything and I have given full permissions to the Apps. I am using and checked the Microphone, Speakers and Webcam under the Audio Settings menu. The problems are coming from Windows 8 most likely which, makes sense. They keep making it more and more flashy with the same ability unless you upgrade your physical hardware which is ridiculous. Don't fix what isn't broken. I am not going to continue to spend money on something that should work out of the box as standard. Does anyone have a fix that doesn't involving buying more and more unneeded items?