Powerline Wall-Plug Adapter question

In the simplest terms - the first is all you would need to connect one device to one other thing.

If at the computer end you actually want to connect multiple devices to wherever you're trying to reach, then you would need either your second link (PLA4225), or a separate switch or wifi access point (that would need it's own power) to take the traffic from those devices to the power line.

So, the PLA4225 switch would need at least one unit from PLA4215KIT on the other end of your power lines to send its traffic to.

I hope that makes sense.

^ Thanks for the reply.

We want to send the ethernet thru the house wiring from the cable modem, to a computer [and possibly a 'smart TV'], in the basement.

So I guess we need the second kit.

If you have multiple devices to connect then you should get a model with multiple connectors or WiFi (if you TV has WiFi). It works like a regular network cable, so there's no need for any special network settings or software. I've been using them for years and have found them to be an excellent way of connecting devices over long distances (i.e. upstairs).

You would need  PLA4225 switch to plug in the two devices (it does NOT come with other units in the package if you look it up elsewhere, the reviews on that page saying it does are for a different amazon listing), and one PLA4215 unit near your cable router to receive it's signal. you can buy the PLA4215 seperately, but they're not much cheaper than the kits with 2 in :/

From my experience, you'd only need the twin powerline kit, you only need to plug one directly into the router via ethernet and a nearby socket and another one into any socket around the building. I've been using a TP Link kit now for a few years and they're brilliant, less latency than wireless and absolutely no jitter. They supposedly only work on a single mains ring, but I'm not sure if that's right because my collegue lives in the downstairs apartment and he's hooked into my router via a powerline adapter and we share the internet bill.