How Mandatory Game Installations Will Work On PS4

But that's not necessarily true either, since both disks and internet downloads where supposed to be playable in ~10 seconds. streaming installs. 

So you missed where the guy who got his X1 early played CoD ghosts and took 15 minutes to be playable -- from disc.

From Kotaku, here's the install times until the game is playable:

• 1.06 System update: 6:15P
  • 57 seconds to copy the update from the discP
  • 10 seconds to scroll through the EULA1P
  • 4:10 to prepare, reboot and installP
  • Remaining time is other menus and loadingP

Knack: 32 seconds
Killzone: Shadow Fall: 0:38
Battlefield 4: 0:42
Injustice: Gods Among Us: 0:28
Just Dance 2014: 0:24
Madden 25: 0:23
Assassin's Creed 4: 0:13

Considering that I currently install games on my PS3, I don't mind this. But those numbers are scary, they're providing a 500GB HDD when a game can require 30+ gigs of space to be installed? That's not a lot of games you could have installed at any one time. :/

So you missed where the guy who got his X1 early played CoD ghosts and took 15 minutes to be playable -- from disc.

The game that required a day one patch. valid argument.... 

The game that required a day one patch. valid argument.... 

He played some Call of Duty: Ghosts. It's a 39-gigabyte installation, Weingarten said. Xbox One will let you play games as they're installing; Weingarten said Ghosts was playable at 51 percent of its installation. It took about 15 minutes to get that far.

No mention of the patch.  Could just be CoD, tho, and games like Ryse or Forza will install much faster and be playable sooner.  I believe you can also choose to download and install the Sp and MP separately if you go digital.

I don' know about Ghost, but the One supports streaming installs that should let you launch and play the game, right away when installing, not after 50 or even 10%. 

might again be an issue with changing the whole game system an that the disk drm system had to be incorporated fairly fast and the first games aren't able to use it properly yet, or it could just be the CoD developers being the crappy devs they have been the last few years. 

I don' know about Ghost, but the One supports streaming installs that should let you launch and play the game, right away when installing, not after 50 or even 10%. 

might again be an issue with changing the whole game system an that the disk drm system had to be incorporated fairly fast and the first games aren't able to use it properly yet, or it could just be the CoD developers being the crappy devs they have been the last few years. 

Which is why I think first party will be a different story and I'll wait to see what Ryse or Forza are like with installs.

BTW, The Last of Us supported the same thing, although I think it was around 40 - 50% install before you could play.

Either way, it's good the cache function at least allows multiple games to be cached, even if you can start playing in under a half a minute in most cases. hvaing to "install" the game every time like the FAQ gave the impression of would have lead to unnecessary wear. 

However,I think they should have had an option for an auto clean function that should have been on by default. Sure fir me, and the rest of us on this forum, and the more technically inclined vocal minority. We would probably prefer the uninstall games and maintain installed games manually. but for the less technically inclined, I Think an auto clean function of remove oldest games when you hit 90% on the HDD would have been a good function. Heck I would have used it myself to avoid having to clean out the games myself regularly, I'd rather play games than HDD space janitor :p at least as long as it leaves downloaded games alone :)

But this is probably another one of those things they will add down the road. the OS' on both consoles at the moment are a bit of a rush job. it does seem like Sony had more trouble finishing in time. But I suspect that's pure budgeting. MS planned to have a full media centric device and simply put a lot more money, developers and resources at it. while Sony focused on the game part and plain forgot about everything else, project manager fail. 

and the whiners caused MS to abandon)

No they did not. MS badly planned strategy is the reason why it was dropped.

Back on topic i think it's clear that next gen you'll need to replace the PS4 HD by a bigger one or use an external USB3 HD with the One (don't think USB2 speed will cut it). Gladly i have a 750MB 7200rpm hybrid HD unused XD. I should be okay with that if i decide to buy a new console next year.

Though the Steam Box is becoming attractive with those new consoles being 100% PC now.

However,I think they should have had an option for an auto clean function that should have been on by default.

They can add one later if it's a problem. I expect both the PS4 and One OS to change a lot in the next 2 years. There will be lot of fine tuning and options added on both side.

Though the Steam Box is becoming attractive with those new consoles being 100% PC now.

They're anything but, little is known about the PS4 architecture. but while it probably isn't as custom as the XO, they're not 100% PC by any stretch 

Either way, it's good the cache function at least allows multiple games to be cached, even if you can start playing in under a half a minute in most cases. hvaing to "install" the game every time like the FAQ gave the impression of would have lead to unnecessary wear. 

However,I think they should have had an option for an auto clean function that should have been on by default. Sure fir me, and the rest of us on this forum, and the more technically inclined vocal minority. We would probably prefer the uninstall games and maintain installed games manually. but for the less technically inclined, I Think an auto clean function of remove oldest games when you hit 90% on the HDD would have been a good function. Heck I would have used it myself to avoid having to clean out the games myself regularly, I'd rather play games than HDD space janitor :p at least as long as it leaves downloaded games alone :)

But this is probably another one of those things they will add down the road. the OS' on both consoles at the moment are a bit of a rush job. it does seem like Sony had more trouble finishing in time. But I suspect that's pure budgeting. MS planned to have a full media centric device and simply put a lot more money, developers and resources at it. while Sony focused on the game part and plain forgot about everything else, project manager fail. 

Cerny said they considered it, but didn't want people hit with a "surprise your game is gone".

I think it's clear that how long you have to wait before you can start playing a game on either system depends on the size of the game itself.  The games we know of that are huge will take longer, those that are smaller will not.   I don't think anyone expected a constant time on either system did they?   There's no way that would've been the case, maybe it's a set %, like in the case of Ghosts on the XB1 the game had to reach the 50% installed mark.   Now that could be the same for each game, or maybe not?  We'll find out in time but I think it's a safe bet that you'll be waiting from anywhere between 10mins to 50mins depending on the size of the game itself.   Maybe less if we're talking some small arcade type digital game etc.  

It's just something to live with, now that games are so big and these BD drives aren't fast enough to play off of the disc we're going to have to install our games.  I've been doing so for a long time and anyone who plays on the PC has.  Might be new to the console only crowd but w/e, they'll get used to it.

Cerny said they considered it, but didn't want people hit with a "surprise your game is gone".

I know. that's why I said they should add it later. and his reasoning is bullcrap. that's why I said it should be a toggle/option. and since the game can be installed. people wouldn't even notice, now would they...