Using Snap with Xbox One

Good luck to them reducing that 10% system reservation.

They'd be better pausing the game while you use Snap which would divert the resources. You can't realistically play something and use apps etc at the same time. Even worse when it comes to movies/tv and people interupting them (N)

Is that Forza 5 in the video?? :huh: The reflections and everything doesn't look good compared to screenshots I've seen.

They'd be better pausing the game while you use Snap which would divert the resources. You can't realistically play something and use apps etc at the same time. Even worse when it comes to movies/tv and people interupting them (N)

Well the game does pause when you snap. You have the option to use them while playing.

You don't have to snap though, it supports apps in the background or just switching to an app instead of snapping it.

I agree that snapping has limited uses compared to just switching, but we will see what the app developers come up with. I still like the idea of snapping an app that can offer game guidance. I could see myself wanting to reference something while in game.

Again, not a big deal, just thinking of possibilities.

• Like 2

It looks to me like the game does pause if you issue the command until you go back to it, which is how it should be done in the end.

I meant forcing the game to stay paused so that the 10% wouldn't impact the game performance, then reduce it when you close the snap.

I doubt simple apps alone are going to use up 10% of the GPU but if you jump between a lot of them, like they've shown you can and have it be smooth then yeah sure, though that's something few are probably going to do.   That said, when not in the foreground I bet those apps are suspended till you flip to them or snap them anyways.   The reserved resources sound like a safe bet to start, once it's out and they see how it is in peoples hands they'll tweak it more.

Even at 90% going to the game I believe developers can have enough to work with if they have the time and don't rush things to meet a close date.   Now if a few months from now they've seen that they can have the same experience but with 5% then yay, but I don't worry about my future gaming prospects even if it stays at 10% for the next few years.

So you don't need to exit the game/return to dashboard?

You can switch directly without snap as well (like in PS4).

So you don't need to exit the game/return to dashboard?

seems like you dont know much about xbox one. you can return to the dash without exiting the game,load up other full screen apps or watch tv, then instantly switch back to the game without reloading.

I doubt simple apps alone are going to use up 10% of the GPU but if you jump between a lot of them, like they've shown you can and have it be smooth then yeah sure, though that's something few are probably going to do.   That said, when not in the foreground I bet those apps are suspended till you flip to them or snap them anyways.   The reserved resources sound like a safe bet to start, once it's out and they see how it is in peoples hands they'll tweak it more.

Even at 90% going to the game I believe developers can have enough to work with if they have the time and don't rush things to meet a close date.   Now if a few months from now they've seen that they can have the same experience but with 5% then yay, but I don't worry about my future gaming prospects even if it stays at 10% for the next few years.

I hope so too, and I hope it doesn't cause any OS stability issues either. Last thing people want is their games crashing due to the feature.

No clue.. seems like it does more harm then good though.

I'm not sure where the harm is. Its an option for app developers.

Maybe you mean the whole 10% reservation. Well that could be, but that 10% is for the entire OS and Kinect features, so can't really blame that on the ability to snap an app.

I'm not sure where the harm is.

There is none. It is just another way to generate FUD around the X1. Notice how there are questions such as "I hope it doesn't cause any OS stability issues either" as if they really did care. They have no concerns about features such as if the recording feature running in the background on the PS4 will cause issues with stability, performance, or wasting system resources (memory, HDD, etc.). To the Sony supporter everything that can possibly go wrong with the X1, will, even though they have no proof that it will.

This is definitely one of the coolest features to me. Especially looking forward to snapping the player moves on Killer Instinct until I learn them haha. Also looking up casts for TV Shows and Movies etc. Also plan to game during commercials when watching TV and keeping the TV snapped so I can see when the commercial is over.

Well the game does pause when you snap. You have the option to use them while playing.

You don't have to snap though, it supports apps in the background or just switching to an app instead of snapping it.

I agree that snapping has limited uses compared to just switching, but we will see what the app developers come up with. I still like the idea of snapping an app that can offer game guidance. I could see myself wanting to reference something while in game.

Again, not a big deal, just thinking of possibilities.

You may have seen this but sounds exactly like what you are talking about http://youtu.be/Mc_vUf1C8b8

It's funny how people are doubting one of the biggest and one of the best software companies in the world.  A company that actually employees some of the smartest people in the world...

This is what Microsoft does...  The 360 had nothing in resources compared to the Xbox One.  And look at the 360 now.  The 360 I got my hands on, on day 1 and the 360 today are night and day...

I honestly believe that the Xbox One will follow suite in evolving and growing over time.  And doing this, will always make the console feel fresh...

• Like 1

Is that Forza 5 in the video?? :huh: The reflections and everything doesn't look good compared to screenshots I've seen.

Take a look at the Direct Feed videos on the Turn10 video channel. Forza looks amazing.