• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:37

Another happy Linux customer, nice read. :)

After I posted my about my personal exploration into purchasing a pre-built, no-assembly required Linux laptop I have to admit that I was a bit overwhelmed at the response to the post.  In fact I have been inundated with emails, private messages, direct messages, and just about every communication method you could think of to post the results of my search and reveal which laptop I ended up going with.

While I purchased the machine weeks ago  I did not want to just simply answer the question with a slight note or addendum saying I ended up buying Brand X. I think every one would agree that the experience does not really end at the purchase.  I wanted to make sure I had some quality time on the machine and give some perspective after some real-world heavy duty use.  

So without a further ado, after some considerable analysis I ended up purchasing theSystem 76 Gazelle Professional.   The specs on my specific purchase are listed here below:

System 76 Gazelle

• Base System
  • Ubuntu 13.04
  • 15.6” 1080p Full High Definition ColorPro IPS Display with a Matte Surface
  • Intel High Definition Graphics 4600
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor ( 2.8 GHz 8MB L3 Cache – 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
  • 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz – 2 X 8 GB
  • 960 GB Crucial M500 Series Solid State Drive
  • 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 – 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth
  • US Keyboard

Link: http://loosebolts.wo...-laptop-search/

#2 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:14

That review seems pretty par for the course as far as System76 is concerned. I have been impressed with the System76 I have briefly used, and the people I know who own them have generally been extremely pleased. It is really nice to see a niche OEM that consistently does such an outstanding job with all aspects of their machines. Like the review you linked to pointed out, small manufacturers are often far below the quality level of their much larger competitors, but System76 bucks that trend.

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:26

960gb SSD that must has cost a fortune

looking at system 76 for my next laptop

#4 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:32

oh, no illuminated keyboard :/

nice laptop though, must cost a lot (960GB SSD WTF?).

#5 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22

oh, no illuminated keyboard :/

nice laptop though, must cost a lot (960GB SSD WTF?).

Some of System76's laptops either ship with a backlit keyboard by default or have it available as an upgrade. It looks like the Gazelle Professional does not have that option at the moment, though.

I just went to the System76 website and tried to spec out the same computer that the blog owner ordered to see how much it would cost. He definitely chose some of the most high-end components that System76 offers for the Gazelle Professional. For example, the 960 GB Crucial M500 Series Solid State Drive he ordered costs $589 more than the default 500 GB 7200 RPM hard disk. The Intel Core i7-4900MQ he chose is the best processor offered for that model, and costs $465 more than the base Intel Core i5-4200M. Some of the components have obviously been upgraded since he ordered his, such as the Intel Advanced-N 6235 wireless card (which has been replaced with the newer Intel Wireless-AC 7260), but in the closest possible configuration (without additional warranty coverage or accessories), the Gazelle Professional costs $2066.

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:44

$2000 bucks? Geez.

#7 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:08

A thread where System76 is being praised? Maybe I lurk too much at Reddit.

#8 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:17

I have never heard of them before.. They look like good!

#9 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:19

A thread where System76 is being praised? Maybe I lurk too much at Reddit.

What's bad about System76?

#10 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 16 November 2013 - 13:44

What's bad about System76?

From what I read, when ###### goes wrong (which is very often) they have weird support schemes. From time to time they also do some shady price sets.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:35

From what I read, when **** goes wrong (which is very often) they have weird support schemes. From time to time they also do some shady price sets.

I don't know for myself but I've read they have terrible support.

#12 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:44

From what I read, when **** goes wrong (which is very often) they have weird support schemes. From time to time they also do some shady price sets.

Never heard ANY of that. Ubuntu is a weird world, though. Some things work on certain systems, while they don't on others. It's a penny you have to flip.

#13 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:59

That may be. No one I know personally who has a System76 machine has had to make use of their customer support. On the one hand, as long as the machine works, I don't really care how terrible the company's customer support is. On the other had, if something does break, terrible customer support is an awful problem to have.

To be completely fair, even if System76 does have poor customer support, they are far from the only OEM to have that accusation leveled against them. Also, I'm pretty sure that most technically savvy consumers buy their computers based on hardware quality (and to a lesser extent, driver support), not customer support. I know that's what I do. If the thing I cared about most when buying a new computer was customer support, I would absolutely buy a business-class Dell with the Complete Care warranty. However, since I care more about hardware quality, I own a ThinkPad instead. I suspect I am not alone in this policy, especially on a tech forum such as Neowin.