Android 4.4 (KitKat) rolling out, starting tonight!

Saw this on Google+:

Starting today, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013) and Nexus 10 will be getting a tasty update to Android 4.4, KitKat. Stay tuned, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 versions with mobile data will be getting the update soon!

Learn more about Android 4.4, KitKat: http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

https://plus.google.com/+android/posts/bbNUhS7XySa

and on Twitter:

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
  • Like 2

Reddit user got it on his Nexus 7

I was hoping for a big visual change like the nexus 5. No transparent menu, status or even app drawer.

Here are (2)screenshots

http://imgur.com/2K7HqSl,C9RgBW0

The only differences I notice are some of the icons and white status icons. The Google launcher isn't here either, swiping to the left doesn't reveal Google now. You also still can't delete home pages, still the default 5. Editing a home page also isn't like the nexus 5, the widgets are still in the app drawer.

I installed nova launcher (beta version), the menu & status bar are transparent.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1qi43d/i_just_got_android_44_kitkat_on_my_nexus_7/

While I patiently wait for a CM11 build that may never come, I installed the new Nova beta anyway.  At least I got the new folder backgrounds and homescreen indicators.  The transparent status/nav bars are probably possible with the new launcher http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2506488 , so Nova Launcher probably isn't the only option (though, personally, I love Nova, so when I do have a Kit-Kat build available I will continue to use it instead of stock).

While I patiently wait for a CM11 build that may never come, I installed the new Nova beta anyway.  At least I got the new folder backgrounds and homescreen indicators.  The transparent status/nav bars are probably possible with the new launcher http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2506488 , so Nova Launcher probably isn't the only option (though, personally, I love Nova, so when I do have a Kit-Kat build available I will continue to use it instead of stock).

As far as I'm aware the Transparent bars require kitkat, to get access the new themes that make the bars transparent.

As far as I'm aware the Transparent bars require kitkat, to get access the new themes that make the bars transparent.

Yes, it does, that's not what I'm saying.  Dude updated to kitkat on his nexus 7, but had to install Nova launcher to get the transparent bars because apparently it didn't install the new launcher.  I linked to where one might get the new launcher so you don't have to install nova, at least hypothetically.  I haven't updated my daughters' nexus 7s yet, so I can't test that.  I further stated that I installed the nova beta and was able to get some of the new visual elements of kit-kat such as the folder backgrounds, but will have to wait for a CM11 build before I can get the transparency.  Well, sort of: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2504373 , but I'm not willing to put in that kind of work.

Update: I just discovered, to my delight, that the xposed framework module gravity box will let you set transparency for the nav and status bars.

Yes, it does, that's not what I'm saying.  Dude updated to kitkat on his nexus 7, but had to install Nova launcher to get the transparent bars because apparently it didn't install the new launcher.  I linked to where one might get the new launcher so you don't have to install nova, at least hypothetically.  I haven't updated my daughters' nexus 7s yet, so I can't test that.  I further stated that I installed the nova beta and was able to get some of the new visual elements of kit-kat such as the folder backgrounds, but will have to wait for a CM11 build before I can get the transparency.  Well, sort of: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2504373 , but I'm not willing to put in that kind of work.

Update: I just discovered, to my delight, that the xposed framework module gravity box will let you set transparency for the nav and status bars.

Oh. Misunderstood then. Guess that means the Google Exp. Launcher (the "new" launcher) is a nexus 5 exclusive.

Possibly?  I thought I read something about how it was going to be in the play store so any device can run it.  The new hangouts and keyboard are already in the play store.  In the meantime you can use the method I linked to if it's worth the hassle.

Possibly?  I thought I read something about how it was going to be in the play store so any device can run it.  The new hangouts and keyboard are already in the play store.  In the meantime you can use the method I linked to if it's worth the hassle.

That I hadn't read. I've only heard about a possible exclusive. When I put 4.4 on my phone (the one listed under my name, on the left side of this post) I actually went for a ROM that already had the new launcher.

Oh. Misunderstood then. Guess that means the Google Exp. Launcher (the "new" launcher) is a nexus 5 exclusive.

It is very easy to manually install, its just an apk like any other launcher...I'm running it on 2 unsupported devices right now 

It is very easy to manually install, its just an apk like any other launcher...I'm running it on 2 unsupported devices right now 

Yes I know. I have it on my GNex. I meant in official updates.

The Google Experience Launcher isn't exclusive to the Nexus 5.

Is available on PlayStore for any device running 4.1 and higher.

I already had it on my non-rooted Nexus 4 for awhile now by installing the apk files from the Nexus 5 manually but works much better now with the actual update from Google.

Absolutely love the new look and features.

It has not come through on my wifi nexus 7 yet (2012 model), but I am enjoying it already on my nexus 5.

The Google experience launcher is very nice, and may well replace Apex which I've been using for a couple of years on multiple devices.

Went ahead and applied the OTA that was posted over on XDA for my 2013 N7. Works great, no problems, and I didnt think the N7 2013 could get any faster and smoother. Just cannot wait until a KK ROM is posted for my phone. :)

Just side load it like the rest of us.

Let me preface this post with this: I love flashing ROM's and tinkering with Android in general. Just today I updated my AT&T HTC One to a GPE One, and figuring out all the moving pieces was fun for me. You shouldn't have to go through all that hassle to get the latest version of Android. Most consumers will not like doing this or have any idea what that would mean/entail. The whole update system could be handled a lot better at Google. It gets a wag of the finger from me: 

Hypnotic.gif

Let me preface this post with this: I love flashing ROM's and tinkering with Android in general. Just today I updated my AT&T HTC One to a GPE One, and figuring out all the moving pieces was fun for me. You shouldn't have to go through all that hassle to get the latest version of Android. Most consumers will not like doing this or have any idea what that would mean/entail. The whole update system could be handled a lot better at Google. It gets a wag of the finger from me: 

Yeah, it used to be much easier to manually install updates back when the stock recovery had the option "install update.zip" but that was removed and now people still on the stock recovery are stuck with just the side load option... Although, there are plenty of "toolkits" that give a user access to adb without going through very many hoops.