"Xbox On" pretty snappy...

Good to see its responding well.

Its interesting to follow the reviews today for the ps4 because many people are commenting on the ps eye with regards to voice commands.  Many have mentioned that the commands are lacking and its not very well integrated, but the idea of using such commands is suddenly interesting or exciting when they work quickly and can help you navigate a system more naturally.

So it'll be interesting to see how these same reviewers react to the X1 and its more robust support.  So far, it seems like the functions are working reliably and quickly based on these leaks/previews.  Hopefully they hold up well when properly reviewed.

Good to see its responding well.

Its interesting to follow the reviews today for the ps4 because many people are commenting on the ps eye with regards to voice commands.  Many have mentioned that the commands are lacking and its not very well integrated, but the idea of using such commands is suddenly interesting or exciting when they work quickly and can help you navigate a system more naturally.

So it'll be interesting to see how these same reviewers react to the X1 and its more robust support.  So far, it seems like the functions are working reliably and quickly based on these leaks/previews.  Hopefully they hold up well when properly reviewed.

Wonder how long it'll take for the Xbox One reviews to come in?   Are they going to wait till closer to release like Sony did or are they going to go in a few days to rain on the PS4 release a bit?   Should be interesting either way.

• Like 2

I'm loving the cleanliness of the home screen. There's enough on the screen to know what's going on, without appearing "too busy"...

I really hope Microsoft doesn't clutter this thing up, while leaving it open to be cluttered as the consumer sees fit...

I also hope that the pins can be better organized (such as folder creation for movies, music, games, favorites, etc)

Loving the heavy integration of Kinect. So much so, I'm not bothered by the so called "lack of graphical chops" the One supposedly has

i didn't think it was "snappy" but just okay.

snappy would be Xbox On and the tv turns on...not 'xbox on' and then 5 seconds of nothing then tiny xbox logo then large xbox logo

That five seconds was the TV turning on I believe. You can use the Xbox On command to turn on your whole media system at once as well as your Xbox.

I'm loving the cleanliness of the home screen. There's enough on the screen to know what's going on, without appearing "too busy"...

I really hope Microsoft doesn't clutter this thing up, while leaving it open to be cluttered as the consumer sees fit...

I also hope that the pins can be better organized (such as folder creation for movies, music, games, favorites, etc)

I bet some advertiser would loves to put ADS on there ;)

I bet some advertiser would loves to put ADS on there ;)

I pray not... I don't care if they go ad nuts in the store (where ads belong) not on that beautiful home screen...

i didn't think it was "snappy" but just okay.

snappy would be Xbox On and the tv turns on...not 'xbox on' and then 5 seconds of nothing then tiny xbox logo then large xbox logo

That was 8-10 seconds of turning on the One and the tv at the same time. That's darn snappy.

PS4 takes 30 seconds to boot, that video shows Xbox One coming up and logging in, in 6 seconds. I guess that means Xbox One is over 5 times faster! Pretty impressive.

I?m still skeptical it might be resuming from Standby or something? But if it?s a cold boot, then color me impressed!

This is one big reason I want to get the Xbox One. I want to be able to turn it on and join my friend's game while I'm taking my work clothes off or while I'm getting out of bed.

I?m still skeptical it might be resuming from Standby or something? But if it?s a cold boot, then color me impressed!

Xbox One is always in lower power state "standby" unless unplugged. That is just how it works. PS4 doesn't have that feature at launch. It does have a lower power state that downloads in the background but it doesn't allow resume yet. They said it will come late in a patch but no timetable.

This is the thing people saying ooo wonder how the ps eye will perform with more functionality, maybe compared to the kinect 2 well it wont it will still be undeniably crap compared to the kinect 2 cus MS have developed the kinect hardware themselves and integrated it into the console as a development choice and every x1 will ship with the kinect so the developers know its going to be there so they can add features for it... if ppl choose not to use it fair enough they dont get the added stuff but cus the eye isnt included with every ps4 theres no reason for a dev to add functionality although limted compared to kinects features for something that they dont know is going to be there. I dont think MS would have made the effort to bundle kinect with the console if enough buyers wouldnt of bought it anyway compared to the kinect 1 sales figures. People bitch and moan and if it wasnt there theyd prolly end up geting it anyway

This is one big reason I want to get the Xbox One. I want to be able to turn it on and join my friend's game while I'm taking my work clothes off or while I'm getting out of bed.

Yusuf M?  Aren't you supposed to already have an Xbox One?

yusuf-mehdi-chief-marketing-officer-inte

• Like 2

All windows 8/8.1 based systems have quick boot.  My PC powers up into desktop 6 seconds on SSD / UEFI and with a big TV like that the longest part of the wait is probably the HDMI handshake and backlight lighting up.

So I've been reading up on this:

When it can hear you say "Xbox on!", it's not completely powered down nor is it in full standby. It's kind of a partial standby mode (Consumes 14w).

When it's in full standby, it consumes 0.5w, but I'm not sure there are videos of it resuming from that state. If I had one and it resumed fast from standby, that'd be the state I'd leave it in.

So its power states seem to be:

Hard Off (0w) -> Standby (0.5w) -> Low power (14w) -> On (???w)

By comparison, the old Xbox 360S was like this:

Hard Off (0w) -> Soft Off (0.6w) -------------------------> On (70w~90w)

Well the ps4 can draw 120w-140w under load gaming and switching to the UI, so I would assume the X1 will be around that range, maybe a bit less due to the different gpu and using ddr instead of gddr.

I think the XB1's  "Standby" is the same standby we now get with Windows 8.x devices though it's still called "sleep" on the system.  Officially MS calls it "connected standby" in this case it's in sleep mode most of the time but on a set schedule it'll wake just a bit to check for new updates to your apps and if it needs to do anything.  I expect the same will be the case with the XB1.  The system is as close to sleep as it can be unless it has to download updates, the Kinect is the thing that's listening for the command and, unless I'm wrong, the Kinect can draw power on it's own while the rest of the box can be close to off/sleep/standby.

Since the Kinect 2 has it's own processing inside this time around I think the only thing drawing power the majority of the time is the Kinect itself while the rest of the system is off (unless there's something for it to download ofc).  Then when you do issue the command the Kinect sends the "wake" command to the XB1 and it turns on, and since the Kinect is also the IR blaster it also sends out the signal to turn on your TV.

Basically I figure the Kinect is going to be drawing the 14w or so,   it's a twist on the old "wake on lan" feature PCs have had for a while, you can have your PC in "sleep" mode and once it gets a LAN signal it can wake up and you can then access it remotely and so on.   Sounds like the same concept in practice here at the heart of it.

Xbox One is always in lower power state "standby" unless unplugged. That is just how it works. PS4 doesn't have that feature at launch. It does have a lower power state that downloads in the background but it doesn't allow resume yet. They said it will come late in a patch but no timetable.

My TV decoder has the same option, power down or "standby" and the start times are quite different if I use power down.