Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

I expect we'll hear reports of DOA Xbox Ones too, happens with everything. Apple also takes a battering in the press and online every launch with people complaining about defective devices

Exactly. The issue we're mainly having is fanboys on both sides will blow the issue way out of proportion.

I read somewhere that some 4000 people have it early through various channels. So even if we see 100 reports, that is still within the industry average? This is a non-issue.

I don't normally like your posts.. however I do like this one :p

This is why you wait,  and this is why I'm at best getting one system in December (probably XB1 coming from the 360) and the other early next year, feb-april timeframe.   Even by next month I bet they'll be on the 2nd batch on both systems and the quality will be just a tad bit better.

I've been burned enough last gen (2 broken consoles) so i'm waiting 1 year before buying one this time.

whilst the early Xbox 360s suffered with the RROD. It's part of the price you pay for being an early adopter.

They had problem with the HDMI port on the early 360 elite model too.

Similar situation here. Currently got one pre-ordered for "sometime before Christmas", which does give me a chance to see how the launch plays out.

Hard to tell how widespread the issues are at the moment. I think around 10-15% would be "normal" for a launch console. Don't want to see levels like the Xbox 360's RROD (45-50% failure rate, IIRC?) with either of the consoles though.

Personally i think anything above 10% is not normal even for launch. I would consider a normal failure rate for a launch at around 5% to 8%.

I have a feeling MS is gona do what they can to avoid any issues at launch. The original 360 was so bad...i dont think they want to go through it again. The perfected the 360 slim. So I hope they learned from the past

The issue is that they shouldn't break in the first place. It's especially worrying that its this early on. I bet the consoles haven't even got a day play time.

It doesn't matter when it's the HDMI port. My 360 elite got a bad HDMI port and it was dead after 5-6 hours of play. Basically i played one night and the day after the HDMI port would not output anything but sound. Only the vga port would output an image.

I might be wrong but i think a defective/bad HDMI port will show really early in the life of the console.

Luckily the PS4 has a 1 year warranty unlike previous gen. I think the warranty of the previous gen consoles was 3 months before they extended it?

I've tracked almost all dumb HDMI problems back down to HDCP...... ugh stupid handshaking, encryption and other crap always gets in the way, especially if one of the two devices doesn't implement the spec correctly

I read somewhere that some 4000 people have it early through various channels. So even if we see 100 reports, that is still within the industry average? This is a non-issue.

Definately. 100 out of 4000 is 2.5% which is probably fine. Between 2 and 3% is usually considered acceptable albeit maybe not good.

Let's wait and see. Anyway i have no console pre-ordered right now XD i'll stick with my 360 and PC for the next year ;)

This many?  I've seen reports of 3, maybe I am missing something? Also, the units have a 1 year waranty.  I also plan to buy an extra 2 year warranty w/ accidental to fully cover me for the next 3 years.  If it's going to fail it will likely do so before then, and I will get a replacement for no cost.  Not sure what the issue is.

I grabbed the 3yrs (w/ Accidental) from SquareTrade (Amazon) for my One.

$65 for peace of mind... priceless...

I still remember my first RRoD on my 360....  exactly 3days before Halo 3 landed on store shelves...  :angry: .... and no extended warranty.  This is how i took it....  :( -->  :/ -->  :crazy: -->  :angry:

IMO People keep saying "oh you should just expect this" and i just think no we should not!  I expect glitchy dashboards and crashes stuff like that. You do NOT expect a device to brick on day 1.  Obviously with electronics you will always have a few bad apples but you it should not be a high percentage.  You see this kinda stuff a lot when you buy cheapo ram and motherboards but I have never had to return one high end computer part I have bought on day one of receiving it except the motherboard I dropped my screwdriver on lol. Hopefully its not wide spread but I have already seen 7 different incidents without even looking for them and only a small percentage of people have their ps4s already.   Even if it is widespread people will get over it and sony will replace most of them.  Apparentlly even IGN had one of their consoles die from downloading netflix.

P.S.   My day one 360 last 4 years before getting ring of death and then my next one broke in 2 weeks then have not h ad a problem since.   My day one ps3 had the bluray die on it after 4 months and was replaced and had no problems after that.

I still remember my first RRoD on my 360....  exactly 3days before Halo 3 landed on store shelves...  :angry: .... and no extended warranty.  This is how i took it....  :( -->  :/ -->  :crazy: -->  :angry:

It should have been covered. MS extended the RRoD hardware warranty on the 360 to three years in July 2007.

I'm bookmarking this thread to see which people who said "we should just accept it" bash the One when it has hardware problems.

OT: This shouldn't be "accepted". QA is there for a reason, day one consoles should not have an issue like this. (I can understand if it was A bad processor, and A bad hdmi, and A bad hdd, but when multiple people start reporting the same issue when only a few people have the console, it's an issue, and it means the company didn't do due diligence)

It should have been covered. MS extended the RRoD hardware warranty on the 360 to three years in July 2007.

It was covered... but i had to wait 2weeks to get my 360 back...  If you do the extended with accidentals... I believe they hand you a system on the spot with no questions asked...  

At least best buy and a few other places do...

Issues happen, especially with launch day consoles.  The Xbox One isn't out of the woods either, and I'm sure there will be reports of broken consoles as well.  The issue does not appear to be widespread and is just the case of 1 idiot and a few bad consoles that ran off the manufacturing line.  

Didn't know so many people had it already :laugh:

Shouldn't be a big deal.

Why do people keep saying that the console bricked when it seems like the video output stopped working?

I'm gonna wait before I take this as hardware failure. The PS3 had people similarly shook when it came to the system not being able to auto switch from HDMI to component and back. All you would get is a black screen.

I also think this might be a case of HDCP problem in regards to the mandatory SW update. So we have display consoles in the wild and this only starts to happen with retail consoles?