Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

I grabbed the 3yrs (w/ Accidental) from SquareTrade (Amazon) for my One.

$65 for peace of mind... priceless...

I still remember my first RRoD on my 360....  exactly 3days before Halo 3 landed on store shelves...  :angry: .... and no extended warranty.  This is how i took it....  :( -->  :/ -->  :crazy: -->  :angry:

Unfortunately ST isn't valid in Canada unless through specialized retailers, and Amazon only offers ST in Canada for their kindles.  So I'm going to just get the Sony protection plan.

Unfortunately ST isn't valid in Canada unless through specialized retailers, and Amazon only offers ST in Canada for their kindles.  So I'm going to just get the Sony protection plan.

I'm not worried about year 1, which is covered by the manufacture... It's year 2 and so forth...So to be covered to 2015 is a great deal for me... I would hate to want to game and it's March 2015 and something just craps out, and have to spend for new console vs. $65 to be covered.

It looks like a relatively small number with issues so far, even though there aren't that many out there yet. The big test will be launch day itself and the following week.

I should get into the business of selling Internet Pitchforks. The public needs them and I need money.

You gonna get

rich..

I bought my 360 in 2007. Did the rrod fiasco start around that year or was it much earlier?

Something people dont think about is 0.02% is just the people that actually went online and complained. I never went online to a forum once with any of my console failures. Not all of those ps4s out there even had time to be used yet and just as many prolly have not even been online with it and downloaded anything which seems to be one of the problems. 

We will see tomorrow when hundreds of thousands turn it on and go online.

Something people dont think about is 0.02% is just the people that actually went online and complained.

I'd imagine it was more than just those people. You may not have gone online and complained, however i bet you contacted people to get the item fixed.

This is why you never buy the first generation of a new console.  The original XBox had overheating issues, the first PS3 had insanely loud fans and got hot enough to serve as a central heating unit, the XBox 360 was plagued by RRoD for a couple of iterations, and these new consoles will be no different.  Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo can test and test and test their consoles, but it's a whole different story when you start handing out millions of them to people who will drop them, cram them into tight spaces, run them on their bed with covers underneath, etc.

Give it 6 months, a new version will come out, the price will drop, then it'll be safe to get an XBone/PS4.

I'd imagine it was more than just those people. You may not have gone online and complained, however i bet you contacted people to get the item fixed.

I just mean that calculation that site above did only factored in the people that went online to a forum and not people who called sony.

I'm not worried about year 1, which is covered by the manufacture... It's year 2 and so forth...So to be covered to 2015 is a great deal for me... I would hate to want to game and it's March 2015 and something just craps out, and have to spend for new console vs. $65 to be covered.

For sure, I think the sony thing is 2 EXTRA years on top of the 1 year manf waranty. 

I just mean that calculation that site above did only factored in the people that went online to a forum and not people who called sony.

My apologies, i assumed the number was a calculation based on total fails.

1/3 of all PS4s are bricked. It is a fact. We know with the RROD, without any factual numbers, the generally accepted failure rate was 1/3 because some random "manager" at a Gamestop made this claim, so it was true with the 360 and it must be true with the PS4.

The real questions are

1) Will Sony send out coffins, or will people be required to supply their own?

2) Will people have to pay shipping, or will Sony?

3) Will people get refurb devices, or brand new ones?

4) Will people need to remove their HDD before sending it in?

5) What will be the turn around time?

6) Will people get extra PSN time for their trouble? Will they get extra free games? Will their warranty be extended?

7) Will this problem be fixed with the slim version?

i wonder if its something that once they get the devices back its an easy fix?

also i wonder if that means that shortly after release there are going to be some easy to get refurb devices straight from sony.

When the Xbox One starts having a bunch of problems at launch, we will have another awesome thread!

I cancelled my XboxOne pre-order and decided to wait. My 360 hasn't blown up yet. But I tell you what, If my $399 (PS4) or $499 (X-box One) died within a few days from purchase. I would be really, really P.O'd.

It's a launch batch of consoles - there's always gonna be problems! Especially since those units probably had pre-release software on them too.

While I would agree there might be some issues, but the real truth is going to be in the numbers come launch day. This could be a major issue, I wouldn't justify it with just the statement above, because there should not be MAJOR issues like the console being bricked. The hardware should have tons of man hours of testing in them by this point. And then again, this could be just an isolated issue related to one "batch" of units. We will just have to wait and see.

Anyone who thinks a new console will be released in perfect form from day one is kidding themselves. 

It's sad that these days you can't buy a product and expect it to work.

It's sad that these days you can't buy a product and expect it to work.

It is a reality though.

Even companies held with high esteem like Google or Apple release products that have issues day one. No one is immune.

I think the issue is two fold:

1. Companies feel pressure to get things released as quickly as possible, even with flaws, due to customer demand. They feel like that if they wait and release a solid version instead, they will get creamed sales wise by the competition that is releasing sooner with flaws.

2. They feel like they can get away with flaws thanks to the connected age we live in. They know they can keep working on a product and release updates as quickly as they can finish them, getting those updates to customers without much effort.

i learned my lesson with my launch day 360 and i won't buy launch day equipment for that reason anymore.

I have a PAL launch day Xbox 360 (Dated 2005, no month listed) in my console collection, still works @1080p via VGA cable. It's never RROD but has been cleaned inside and out many times.

2. They feel like they can get away with flaws thanks to the connected age we live in. They know they can keep working on a product and release updates as quickly as they can finish them, getting those updates to customers without much effort.

That's partly it, and they know that there will be excuse makers that will buy the product regardless because they are sheep and need to have "the next best thing" so they can be the coolest cat with a dunce cap.

One good way to stop this would be to stop buying crappy products. If they want to launch a product with major issues, and everyone KNOWS it's going to have major issues, why would you buy it? So you have a reason to vent on the internet, and make your epeen seem bigger?

I will be buying neither for at least a year, possibly two so that I know I'm getting a console that will work (bought a phat 360 in 2010, still kicking)

It makes no sense that these companies are still in business.... well it does if you consider the majority of the fanbase are idiots who will buy anything from a brand because it makes them feel special.

PS. for those who are incapable of reading comprehension, this post applies to ALL companies, not specifically Sony.

I think you are being just a wee bit overly cynical there, rr_dRock.

If you had read my previous posts you would KNOW that DARKFiB3R. :p

I'm just tired of these companies getting away with ######, and having their fanbase make up excuses as to why its okay that the product doesn't work.  =( *sadpanda*

<sarcasm> 0.4% failure rate? Guess I only have a 99.6% chance of this piece of crap working properly. </sarcasm>

But seriously, things break. What sort of world do people live in where they expect things to never break? If that were the case, mechanics would be extinct. Warranties are made for a reason. (and no, I won't be cheering when stories of Xbone failing pour in)

1/3 of all PS4s are bricked. It is a fact. We know with the RROD, without any factual numbers, the generally accepted failure rate was 1/3 because some random "manager" at a Gamestop made this claim, so it was true with the 360 and it must be true with the PS4.

The real questions are

1) Will Sony send out coffins, or will people be required to supply their own?

2) Will people have to pay shipping, or will Sony?

3) Will people get refurb devices, or brand new ones?

4) Will people need to remove their HDD before sending it in?

5) What will be the turn around time?

6) Will people get extra PSN time for their trouble? Will they get extra free games? Will their warranty be extended?

7) Will this problem be fixed with the slim version?

The butthurt is strong with this one.

• Like 1