Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

PS4 failure rate under 1%, Sony to replace affected units

PlayStation 4 units found to be experiencing hardware failure will be replaced immediately, Sony has promised, although the reported failure rate seems to have increased.

20130823_ps4_playstation_4.jpg

Speaking to GameInformer, a SCEA representative said that users who experience hardware failure will not be left hanging.

?We understand the frustration of consumers that have had a problem and are working with them and our retail partners to help troubleshoot issues and ensure affected units are exchanged. SCEA is exchanging units with new replacements for those who call our support line. The exchanges are immediate with expedited shipping,? the spokesperson said.

When asked for an update, Sony supplied a statement almost identical to those issued last week, but with one notable change ? the PS4 failure rate has risen from 0.4% to ?less than 1%?, apparently due to new reports of damage in transit.

?There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn?t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units. We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction.?

Before you send your console back, try troubleshooting it with this handy guide to the mysterious PS4 blue blinking lights problem.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/ps4-failure-rate-under-1-sony-to-replace-affected-units/

Don't think this has been posted. Far too many topics on the issue tbh.

Confirms the failure rate is under 1% though

When we're sitting here in a few weeks, talking about the Xbone's issues, can we just all agree that it's foolish to buy a launch console without waiting for feedback?

Except some of us have to buy it or you will never get said feedback and issues will never be found and we will all be waiting on nothing.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/ps4-failure-rate-under-1-sony-to-replace-affected-units/

So about 10,000? I'm sure some people on Neowin think the real figure is closer to 50%, you know, because of Amazon reviews.

So we are talking 6,000-9,999 consoles?  Not to bad for how many they sold but still from the amount of people I personally have seen affected i would have guessed 10-20% range.  Usually when something is lower than 1% I MIGHT know 1 person that didnt suffer from it.  But I know 10 people that got ps4s and 5 were broke and 1 of those was gamestop not amazon.

So we are talking 6,000-9,999 consoles?  Not to bad for how many they sold but still from the amount of people I personally have seen affected i would have guessed 5-10% range.  Usually when something is lower than 1% I MIGHT know 1 person that didnt suffer from it.  But I know 10 people that got ps4s and 5 were broke and 1 of those was gamestop not amazon.

Maths my friend, post above yours :P

Mine was Amazon.ca and it was DOA.   Waiting for box from sony, they said about 3 days for box,  3 days for them to get it, and 3 days for the new one to be sent (so about 2 weeks total).   Will have to see though.

So about 10,000? I'm sure some people on Neowin think the real figure is closer to 50%, you know, because of Amazon reviews.

True, it'll be interesting how some react if the same thing happens to the X1.

True, it'll be interesting how some react if the same thing happens to the X1.

Friendlier I hope ;)

We're all gamers here and regardless of our choices, we shouldn't be wishing or gloating over hardware problems experienced.

That's good, though it sounds like the number is climbing. .4% to 1% in four days...probably won't stop going up for a bit as more and more people report their issues, but either way it doesn't sound too terrible, except for the 10000 people who were the unlucky ones.

Friendlier I hope ;)

We're all gamers here and regardless of our choices, we shouldn't be wishing or gloating over hardware problems experienced.

Lone Voice of Reason Amidst a Sea of Stupidity

1% seems low with 724 on Amazon alone. Unless it was limited to a specific batch that went to certain retailers then the number should be higher. I only know of 6 people who got it.. Only 1 of them got the pulsing blue light so perhaps it was a limited number that got out