Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

Consoles break as does most other equipment.

I know people who still have launch 360s and not had a problem with them. Other than them being yellow and noisy.

My launch 360 broke but the refurb has been going strong since then.

My Wii was DOA it just ate my Wii Sports disc and spat loads of broken plastic out instead. I don't think Nintendo expected it as they hadn't even sent any replacement Wii's for Nintendo Support in the UK.

Yes, it is annoying but it happens. PC users have been putting up with this kind of thing for years.

Consoles break as does most other equipment.

I know people who still have launch 360s and not had a problem with them. Other than them being yellow and noisy.

My launch 360 broke but the refurb has been going strong since then.

My Wii was DOA it just ate my Wii Sports disc and spat loads of broken plastic out instead. I don't think Nintendo expected it as they hadn't even sent any replacement Wii's for Nintendo Support in the UK.

Yes, it is annoying but it happens. PC users have been putting up with this kind of thing for years.

Yep, my buddy ordered a new HDD and 2 sticks of ram (package).  And one of the sticks of ram was doa.. same package and everything.. it happens on everything.

• Like 1

Yep, my buddy ordered a new HDD and 2 sticks of ram (package).  And one of the sticks of ram was doa.. same package and everything.. it happens on everything.

Exactly. Best thing to do is phone support and get a replacement ASAP. Instead of whining about it on forums and trying to make it sound like it is a huge problem.

That however is the cool thing to do this generation. Not actually care about the games, just how quickly we can jump on a bandwagon.

• Like 1

We know it happens, no one is saying that it doesn't. All they're saying is that it shouldn't happen to any large degree. Yes, things break but you shouldn't expect it to just because it's new or a launch product for example. Yet it seems we put up with it in the end, some take issue with that and call it out as being wrong in their mind. Its a fact that things don't last as long as they used to which is a shame.

• Like 1

My original Xbox broken within 3 jours, had a bad dvdrom controller, ms exchanged it in 4 days, original 360 rdo's the first week, was one on the first yelling about it..had a replacement that latest at least 3 years..

This many?  I've seen reports of 3, maybe I am missing something? Also, the units have a 1 year waranty.  I also plan to buy an extra 2 year warranty w/ accidental to fully cover me for the next 3 years.  If it's going to fail it will likely do so before then, and I will get a replacement for no cost.  Not sure what the issue is.

The issue is that they shouldn't break in the first place. It's especially worrying that its this early on. I bet the consoles haven't even got a day play time.

The issue is that they shouldn't break in the first place. It's especially worrying that its this early on. I bet the consoles haven't even got a day play time.

So anything I have bought shouldn't break?  Well ######, I didn't know that.  I mean even software if I buy version 1 it breaks.. 

We know it happens, no one is saying that it doesn't. All they're saying is that it shouldn't happen to any large degree. Yes, things break but you shouldn't expect it to just because it's new or a launch product for example. Yet it seems we put up with it in the end, some take issue with that and call it out as being wrong in their mind. Its a fact that things don't last as long as they used to which is a shame.

Pretty much this. It should be concerning that this is popping up as much as it is given the very few people that actually have the console. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Though I'd say the expectation that the hardware will have faults is hilarious. That shouldn't be an expectation and is a poor excuse. The only redeeming factor is that they're responding quickly to people with issues but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Is it happening to a large degree? This seems like a handful of cases. If we were seeing hundreds of PS4s failing then you'd have a point.

People need to stop being so damn spiteful to score fanboy points. It sux for anyone to buy something ( be it from Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, LG, Nintendo, Logitech, blah blah) only to have it fail and then have to go to the trouble of having it replaced.

Is it happening to a large degree? This seems like a handful of cases. If we were seeing hundreds of PS4s failing then you'd have a point.

Only upon release you'll see hundreds of cases. Now, except the journalists, only a few got their hands on the console.

People need to stop being so damn spiteful to score fanboy points. It sux for anyone to buy something ( be it from Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, LG, Nintendo, Logitech, blah blah) only to have it fail and then have to go to the trouble of having it replaced.

Nobody said it wouldn't suck for anyone to buy a broken product from any of those companies. This is just the news right now. And considering there aren't many ps4s in the wild yet, I'd be a bit concerned with the handful of reports coming out. It wouldn't likely stop me from getting one if I had planned to, but it sucks to already know you might have to call it in with hardly any play time.

So anything I have bought shouldn't break?  Well ****, I didn't know that.  I mean even software if I buy version 1 it breaks.. 

No it shouldn't, why should it be ok to do so?

You're basically saying absurdly high failure rates to the start of a product life cycle is ok. 

Only upon release you'll see hundreds of cases. Now, except the journalists, only a few got their hands on the console.

Hundreds / Thousands? That's still a small percentage.. everything fails to some extent.. we will have to wait and see what happens, it may be isolated to the batch, IGN themselves said only 1 of the 4 they had, had any issues.  There may be 100  / 10000 that fail, there may be 10 / 10000 that fail.. no hardware is 100% identical, and things can pass QC and fail during shipping or other parts of the process.  I work for a company that manufactures a product in house.  It goes though 2-3 days on an auto-test after which if there is no errors it is packed up and sent out.   However, we have had customers call within 24 hours of receiving it and saying that it is locking up, or that a port doesn't work, even though it runs through 10+ thousand test cycles.

As Pupik observed. There's probably only a couple of hundred PS4 retail units out in the wild.. This could be nothing, or it could be the start of a trend.. Just need to see the release info.

Also, some units failing is to be expected.. This is by no means a disaster, just sucky in all..

Great for Microsoft though.. Short of none working, this bad publicity just helps MS.

No it shouldn't, why should it be ok to do so?

You're basically saying absurdly high failure rates to the start of a product life cycle is ok. 

No, I am saying to expect something at the start v1.0 to not have any issues whatsoever is not plausible.  Also, where do you see that it is "Absurdly high" I've seen 3 cases so far.

• Like 2

Things you guys don't know:

1. How many units are in the wild.

2. How many units have failed.

The above two facts give you no ability to talk about percentages whatsoever.. It might be something, but can we put away the pitchforks until we know :\

Hell, I'm an apparent MS fanboy and this ###### annoys me :\

• Like 2

No, I am saying to expect something at the start v1.0 to not have any issues whatsoever is not plausible.  Also, where do you see that it is "Absurdly high" I've seen 3 cases so far.

When did I ever say there's going to be no issues? The target should be zero, but that isn't feasible with a timescale like this. What isn't acceptable is this considering the consoles haven't even got any play time and it seems to be the most basic manufacturing faults which should be picked up through QA.

Though I'd say the expectation that the hardware will have faults is hilarious. That shouldn't be an expectation and is a poor excuse. The only redeeming factor is that they're responding quickly to people with issues but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

No it's not a poor excuse. To not expect a low percentage of units to fail is completely unrealistic. You either have them their failure rates or not at all.

Only upon release you'll see hundred(s) of cases. Now, except the journalists, only a few got their hands on the console.

We might. But if it is 100 consoles out of hundreds of thousands sold then I'd imagine it's statistically irrelevant. 

Things you guys don't know:

1. How many units are in the wild.

2. How many units have failed.

The above two facts give you no ability to talk about percentages whatsoever.. It might be something, but can we put away the pitchforks until we know :\

You're helping make my point: we don't know exact failure rates, their causes (damage in transit, faulty cables, or just internet bull**** for attention) or how many total systems have been connected. These failures might be well within the acceptable range of expected failure rates.

People are calling this "absurdly high" or "Unacceptably high". How do they know if they don't have all the data?

Wanna avoid the slightly possible risk of getting a console that doesn't work? Don't be an early adopter.

No it's not a poor excuse. To not expect a low percentage of units to fail is completely unrealistic. You either have them their failure rates or not at all.

Unfortunately, some people live in fantasy land where everything works all the time and for anything to fail is simply unacceptable.

Doubt this is widespread, and hope it isn't.

So I don't raise a panic. There are [/size]
eight reported cases of defective Playstation 4 consoles. There were about 4000 winners of the Taco Bell contest. Plus media outlets that received a retail unit earlier in the week.[/size]

Defective Units: [/size]

NeoGaffer Dylx: Was downloading an update for Battlefield 4[/size]

2 or 3 from Reddit: Unknown specifics[/size]

Twitch Streamer: Was downloading DCUO when it stalled. He unplugged the console. It wouldn't work properly after that.[/size]

1 IGN unit: See Original Post.[/size]

1 Kotaku unit: [/size]"Here are the facts: In the past week, my Kotaku colleagues and I have used one pre-release PS4 and three retail PS4s with no problems. I've also heard from fellow gaming reporters who've used their PS4s with no problems. But the first retail unit that Sony provided me failed to work when I plugged it into a TV in Kotaku's office. A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into. It couldn't make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn't transmit a stable signal to our TV. We tried different cables and monitors. The issue was with the console." [/size]http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-...ess-1463521231

Video from Youtube: [/size]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCRxS...ature=youtu.be

9B8A21F1-34CF-4759-A1C0-1E9D9C87359A-839

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715460&page=15

I expect we'll hear reports of DOA Xbox Ones too, happens with everything. Apple also takes a battering in the press and online every launch with people complaining about defective devices

• Like 1

I read somewhere that some 4000 people have it early through various channels. So even if we see 100 reports, that is still within the industry average? This is a non-issue.

• Like 2