SpaceX Dragon 2 - testing & updates

Having the "Cabin Depress" next to "Deorbit Now" seems a little ... risky ... eh, whatever. Long as it's a multi-step process to actually enter and then execute the command, and a way to back up a step, no problem. Those pesky, fat, spacesuit gloves and all. ;) 

I'm thinking (for example) Authorize -> Deorbit Next -> Confirm (where the Autopilot will repeat the command being input and prompt the Pilot for permission to continue) -> Execute, just so there's no mistaking the intent. We want to treat every command as a "big deal", except routine stuff that can be handled automatically that doesn't require human intervention. I've been listening to NASA Mission recordings on YouTube while doing my College Assignments, and about 85% of the comm traffic en route to the Moon was upkeep -- nowadays, those sorts of things can be handled by the onboard systems, and sensors can be installed that can alert the crew if there's an issue. Even the ISS is "high maintenance", but is quite automated by Apollo's standards.

That's what I'd like NewSpace to do, among the myriad of things they are already doing, is make spaceflight easier. Not everything needs to be "manual".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, y'know.. Sometimes, you just need a big fat red button...

And a hot interface, with Billie Piper's dulcid tones to soothe us through the workings of said device? :D 

From my experience, most anyone can design a simple system...but, a professional spends more time on the "what if's". IMHO, there will be no accidental silliness on the Dragon's....SpaceX knows what it is doing, through a long learning curve.

:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently the above tweet wasn't just another tethered engine test.

I tweeted SpaceX's Garrett Reisman that the week would be complete if they had also accomplished a DragonFly propulsive landing.

:woot:

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

SpaceX CCtCap 

Program Milestones & Status

Recent completions

- Certification Baseline Review
- Pad Abort Test
- Avionics Test Bed Activation
- Initial Propulsion Module Testing
- Docking system qualification
- Critical Design Review
- Launch Site Operational Readiness (LSORR)
- Propulsive Descent Testing
- Post Certification Mission 1 Information Review
- Delta Critical Design Review

Major Upcoming Milestones

- Delta Critical Design Review 2 (dCDR2)
- LSORR for Crew
- Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) Integrated Test
- Validation Propulsion Module Testing
- Space Suit Qualification
- Flight Test without Crew Certification Review (FTCR)
- Demo 1 autonomous flight to ISS
- Parachute Qualification Complete
- In-Flight Abort Test
- Design Certification Review (DCR)
- Flight Test Readiness Review (FTRR)
- Demo 2 crewed flight to ISS
- Operations Readiness Review (ORR)
- Certification Review (R)
- Post Certification Missions

• Like 4

Sounds like the rest of the propulsive landing tests will be with a more flight fidelity Dragon 2, which would explain the Pad Abort/DragonFly (tethered) vehicles retirement.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Text for above images

In 2017, Crew Dragon, the crew-carrying version of the upgraded Dragon 2 spacecraft, will restore the United States’ capability to fly humans to orbit.

The backbone of Dragon 2 is a metallic welded pressure vessel. SpaceX has completed manufacturing of the first two pressure vessels to be used for ground testing, and is currently manufacturing two Crew Dragon flight articles. The pressure vessel is the primary structure of the spacecraft that protects astronauts during ascent, while in outer space, and during entry and landing to provide a safe and controlled environment in which to travel and work.

Here is a picture of the first test article undergoing structural load testing. This demonstrates the spacecraft’s ability to withstand the tremendous forces it’s exposed to during space flight.

When we transport astronauts on Crew Dragon to the International Space Station next year, it will be within one of these pressure vessels that over the coming months will turn into a fully functional spacecraft.

• Like 2

Next year...cool. For some reason I thought it was further out...probably confusing it with the ever changing SLS timeline. 

• Like 1

May 2017 unmanned to ISS, a few months later manned to ISS.

Starliner was delayed to 2018 for a few problems, 

1) aerodynamic issues need to go to the wind tunnel.

2) too heavy.

3) there's concern the Starliner launch abort engines could crush the upper dome on the Atlas V Centaur upper stage and make a boomski.

• Like 3

I'm really curious to know what actual astronauts think of the Dragon 2, it's interior/exterior design, and its control systems.  Are there any functional simulators they can use, yet?

• Like 1

NASA's first 4 astronauts for commercial crew flights have been giving both both SpaceX and Boeing feedback on their control systems for almost 2 years.

Boeing's looks more traditional with more buttons and switches, and SpaceX's is a further big step to an all-glass cockpit, but under the skin both are very automated and could fly without a pilot. 

Crew Dragon 2

Each panel can tab through all the necessary control pages, so all 3 would have to fail to lose functionality.

2015-2848.jpg

21314782411_8e75280eeb_o (1).jpg

crew dragon lower panel_1024.jpg

CST-100 Starliner

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

Aviation has always pushed an all glass cockpit,  but not willing to go as far as touchscreen UI.  Always worried about power failure or something else that would interfere with the PIC being able to control the aircraft. Nice to see SpaceX pushing the limits once again.  3 screens along with I'm sure auxiliary power is plenty of redundancy. 

• Like 1

It also has a manual "Deorbit Now" button to force an undocking (if needed), bugout, Trunk separation,  reentry burn and chutes -  and there's a backup mechanical "Deploy Chutes" lever.

The vehicle is self-righting once it hits the atmosphere due to its center of gravity and shape, so a computerless ballistic entry isn't a problem.

This isn't to say it's 100% safe, nothing is, but SpaceX, Boeing and NASA have gone to great lengths with these vehicles.

That Boeing's Starliner is running late is in part due to engineering in more safety and closing edge cases.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

Yeah, nothing's been left to chance with these new-generation pods -- up to and including direct MMOD impacts and PH breaches. They'll do fine, and they're miles ahead of anything else that's ever been flown in terms of reliability.

19 minutes ago, DocM said:

hmmm...if they need a volunteer ... I'll be that volunteer. 

Just sayin'

• Like 2