Don't worry, you can relax a fix has been found...

Why? Do you constantly poke and push down on your consoles? If it was something like a keyboard which you were constantly hitting and striking then that would drive me absolutely bonkers.

If this is widespread, it does seem like a silly oversight, but I have only seen this demonstrated on one device, and it was in a friggin' Kotaku post, so I'm not giving it a whole lot of credibility at this point.

It's a fault of every single console.  It's a design flaw.  Unless Kotaku got the only console with odd feet.

I also think it's a non-issue.

that thread mentioned another issue. the USB ports. and by looking at it I can see the problem. you can only use flat cables and usb sticks with a very small casing. any irregular shaped usb stick or a thicker one won't fit inbetween the "design" 

that thread mentioned another issue. the USB ports. and by looking at it I can see the problem. you can only use flat cables and usb sticks with a very small casing. any irregular shaped usb stick or a thicker one won't fit inbetween the "design"

That will be more of annoyance to me than the wobble. The ps4 doesn't support external drives for anything but applying an update, so at the moment, I wouldn't be trying to use my external flag drive or hard drive.

Still, I downloaded the day one update to a flash drive, so I hope it fits.

I bet 99% of people wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't pointed out.  To me build quality is materials used, and if it holds together.  I spent 500$ on a blackberry pearl which fell apart (literally) I spend 160$ to get it fixed, and it once again fell apart.  That to me is much much worse than if you push in just the right spot with enough pressure it wobbles.

A lot of people will disagree with you there. :)  I don't expect my keyboard to wobble, a laptop sitting on a desk, and so on.  

A more important fix people should know is the cause of the HDMI issues being reported. Apparently the HDMI port isn't flush with the case and prevents the pins from creating a connection. You should just return it/swap it, but you can push the metal plating down to insert the HDMI cable properly and it will fix the problem.

Don't tell tech support/retailer you tried this "fix" if it doesn't work for you. They will likely decline you a repair if you tell them you tampered with the console.

A more important fix people should know is the cause of the HDMI issues being reported. Apparently the HDMI port isn't flush with the case and prevents the pins from creating a connection. You should just return it/swap it, but you can push the metal plating down to insert the HDMI cable properly and it will fix the problem.

Don't tell tech support/retailer you tried this "fix" if it doesn't work for you. They will likely decline you a repair if you tell them you tampered with the console.

Is this verified? I don't believe for one second that Sony would miss the fact that the HDMI port is preventing a true connection. 

Is this verified? I don't believe for one second that Sony would miss the fact that the HDMI port is preventing a true connection. 

That is the fix Sony carried out on Kotaku's faulty PS4.

That is the fix Sony carried out on Kotaku's faulty PS4.

Am I being over paranoid here but shouldn't this very concerning for Sony? literally the PS4 is available in NA today, and the internet is full of rumours of GPU issues, faulty HDMI ports and the pathetic wobble this topic was started for?!

Like I said, I always believed Sony had the edge when it came to hardware, if that's the case, given MS's history, I am getting very concerned for my XB1 next week :(

Am I being over paranoid here but shouldn't this very concerning for Sony? literally the PS4 is available in NA today, and the internet is full of rumours of GPU issues, faulty HDMI ports and the pathetic wobble this topic was started for?!

Like I said, I always believed Sony had the edge when it came to hardware, if that's the case, given MS's history, I am getting very concerned for my XB1 next week :(

There's always going to be bad batches, thank social media for making people paranoid. Every single time a new mobile phone is released there are plenty of RMA topics online, if you're on an android handset, go check XDA and the Nexus 5 right now.

If 2% of consoles fail, there's a 98% chance yours is fine. If someone said to you put $50 on this football team to win, there's a 98% chance you'll get double your money, would you do it? :p

Absolutely no compelling evidence to suggest widespread problems just now. It's just 15 people online who spread news of their failing consoles speak much louder than the other 4,000 people who are sitting playing their consoles.

There's always going to be bad batches, thank social media for making people paranoid. Every single time a new mobile phone is released there are plenty of RMA topics online, if you're on an android handset, go check XDA and the Nexus 5 right now.

If 2% of consoles fail, there's a 98% chance yours is fine. If someone said to you put $50 on this football team to win, there's a 98% chance you'll get double your money, would you do it? :p

Absolutely no compelling evidence to suggest widespread problems just now. It's just 15 people online who spread news of their failing consoles speak much louder than the other 4,000 people who are sitting playing their consoles.

Good point, I am reading the above like its a majority that are having these issues when in reality it is very few. 

so did I, until I saw the surface pro vs sony vaio tap 11

Not aware of the Vaio tap 11, but there is always an exception to every rule if what you think is true :)

Good point, I am reading the above like its a majority that are having these issues when in reality it is very few. 

Same thing will happen with the Xbox One. Considering Foxconn make these consoles, there's bound to be manufacturing hickups. There's only really a huge issue if there is a fundamental design flaw with the hardware, otherwise standard hardware hickups that effect video cards/cpus/memory and hard drives will be there.

"Wobblegate" will be an issue only if it wobbles when putting in a disc. I have a habit of putting my left hand on the console while I swap disc with my right hand. If it doesn't wobble at that much pressure, no one is going to notice it.

The much more important issue is the HDMI port damaging contacts on the cable.

There's a better solution, found over at iFixit.

Don't push on it.

Then Kotaku would have to do some real writing instead of sensationalist ######. No deal.

Same thing will happen with the Xbox One. Considering Foxconn make these consoles, there's bound to be manufacturing hickups. There's only really a huge issue if there is a fundamental design flaw with the hardware, otherwise standard hardware hickups that effect video cards/cpus/memory and hard drives will be there.

Foxhound_logo.jpg

!

I get that to some this is a big deal, so why not simply go to a hardware store, and buy some sticky backed, rubber feet?

Well I personally would not want to be sticking anything to my new console. I don't plan on putting anything under my console to level it out unless I notice some movement while playing a disc based game.

I get that to some this is a big deal, so why not simply go to a hardware store, and buy some sticky backed, rubber feet?

Is there not a certain principle to the fact you have just spent $400 or whatever it costs to have to modify it because of a slight annoyance? Maybe I am overdoing this but I just think when I pay that kind of money I expect a certain level of quality, and this wouldn't match my expectation.

• Like 2

If Foxcon can't put them together properly then there's one or more of the follow problems: faulty industrial design(bad design, hard to put together right, chance of failure after assembly where parts pop out/misalign later), lack of QnA in the specs, Lack of oversight by the ordering company(MS/Sony), not enough pre production units checked by the owning company for manufacturing issues.

Foxconn is the one that make the error(except in some cases of bad industrial design) but Sony(or MS if they have similar issues) is the one ultimately responsible.