Mine is due in today, but I wont even get to crack it open till Saturday, so I'm bummed out :laugh:

I hope people post impressions, but just try not to include too many spoilers :p

Played it for a couple hours tonight.  It's a lot of fun, combat takes a bit of getting used to, and I find it a little confusing where to go some times.. but all in all it's a really fun game with amazing graphics.  

Going at lunch time today to pick my copy up, and it just so turns out my wife is going out with some friends tonight for dinner. I need to pick my dog up a good bone or something to chew on so he leaves me alone for a few hours. Very much looking forward to it no doubt.

Huh???? You absolutely did not have to touch a single User Created side mission in Infamous 2 to unlock everything. You can set a filter that shows only official ones created by Sucker Punch. They call it all UGC for some reason if I recall correctly, but you can skip the actual user created ones easily, and those have to be the ones you are saying are impossibly hard, as the regular ones were standard stuff.

please PM me how to hide these UGC side missions! i would love to know.

idk why, maybe im rusty, but i find all of those side missions incredibly hard in this game compared to the 1st game. i've done about 6-8 of them so far and only beat 2.

please PM me how to hide these UGC side missions! i would love to know.

idk why, maybe im rusty, but i find all of those side missions incredibly hard in this game compared to the 1st game. i've done about 6-8 of them so far and only beat 2.

I no longer have the game as I traded it a long time back since they gave it away with + at one point, so it would take me a little bit to re-install it and all of that, however I did Google it before I responded just to make sure I was not remembering incorrectly, which confirmed I did remember correctly, so one page said this...

Go to "User Generated Content" on the pause menu, go to "Mission Filter" on the UGC menu, cycle through until you find "Don't Show Missions" (or something to that effect), press X button (if you back out of the menu with O then the setting doesn't take hold).

Hope that helps. You can definitely disable it somehow along these lines. it is for sure in the settings somewhere. (Y)

I do have to think you are playing the User created ones, as they were always annoyingly hard and why I disabled them (they also seemed to be slowing the game down a bit as well), but I definitely remember clearing all the "official" Sucker Punch ones with only a few attempts.

Don't think this was posted...

InFamous: Second Son day-one update adds 19 new missions, graphics and performance tweaks

Thursday, 20th March 2014 15:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A day-one patch for inFamous: Second Son will add 19 new missions with five hours of additional gameplay, according to Sucker Punch.

infamous_second_son_delsin-600x548.jpg

According to a post on VideoGamer, content is part of the Paper Trail storyline, which is a side-story which includes both an online and in-game story arc where players will set out to discover the full story behind the D.U.P.?s occupation of Seattle. Web-based investigations will play a part in this.

Access to new content will be released each week for six weeks and will be accessed in-game. The content was developed by both Sucker Punch and ARG company 42 Entertainment.

The 300MB update also includes the Cole?s Legacy Content Pack available for free to those who pre-ordered the game. Additional tweaks and improvements made to difficulty, increased NPC density, and graphics will be applied as well.

Full content updates and patch notes

Cole?s Legacy Content Pack

• FREE with pre-order
  • Explore the events immediately following inFAMOUS 2
  • Work with an investigative reporter to understand the source of conduit powers
  • 4 story missions, approximately 1 hour of gameplay

inFAMOUS Paper Trail Storyline

• FREE bonus missions and exclusive web content
  • Innovative online and in-game story arc co-developed by Sucker Punch and 42 Entertainment
  • Manga and murder, follow the trail of origami doves to discover the full story behind the D.U.P.?s occupation of Seattle.
  • 19 story missions and corresponding web-based investigations, approximately 5 hours of unique gameplay.

Difficulty Balance

• Normal difficulty has been slightly increased to challenge the player?s mastery of their powers
  • Expert difficulty has been fine-tuned to ensure it is the best experience for skilled gamers
  • Karma progression extended to support longer playtime

Boss Fights

• The boss fights have been re-tuned for difficulty and fun
  • More dynamic boss behaviors and attacks

Pedestrians and DUPs

• Engine performance tweaks to allow for more life and activity in the city
  • Increased pedestrian and traffic density and variety
  • Increased pedestrian-related karmic opportunities
  • Post-story enemy activity and D.U.P. raids

Technical Improvements

• Graphics and performance improvements
  • Fixes for a small number of infrequent blocking bugs
  • PSN integration to support Paper Trail DLC

inFamous: Second Son releases on PlayStation 4 March 21 and review scores can be found through here.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/infamous-second-son-day-one-update-adds-19-new-missions-graphics-and-performance-tweaks/

Well that shows just how rushed this game's release was.  It seems like this is a serious pattern to most next gen games.  They get rushed out and then the developer has to put out day one patches just to get all the content in there.

Still, I'm not really complaining about it in this case.  Adding so much content and improving things like performance is great.  I've got my copy in hand, so I'm going to at least get it installed and let the updates complete.  I wont get to sit down with it till tomorrow, but I dont want to have to wait once I'm ready to go :laugh:

Well that shows just how rushed this game's release was.  It seems like this is a serious pattern to most next gen games.  They get rushed out and then the developer has to put out day one patches just to get all the content in there.

Still, I'm not really complaining about it in this case.  Adding so much content and improving things like performance is great.  I've got my copy in hand, so I'm going to at least get it installed and let the updates complete.  I wont get to sit down with it till tomorrow, but I dont want to have to wait once I'm ready to go :laugh:

I played it pre-patch and though I am only just doing the second seatle mission.. I didn't notice any major issues.  There were a couple of strange animation things (like having the jump animation when you were sliding down something) and I found it kind of weird the jump was the same regardless of if it was a small jump or a big jump.. it just looked very.. static.  Maybe because there is no real movement with the jump animation I dunno.

There was also a scene right before I got into Seattle where the cars were emiting what looked like colored blocks.. not sure what it was.. couldn't interact with them.. but they looked out of place.   Haven't experienced it again so I don't think it was the PS4.

Seems that was an issue last gen too....not just this gen.

2.5 hours just felt like 30 minutes.

What a treat to be able to do that on a Friday night as well. My wife went out with some friends for dinner, and I cannot recall the last time I got to come home from work, put in a new game, and just play it for a few hours straight. Damn wish I could do that more.

Anyway I digress. The fact 2.5 hours felt like 30 minutes pretty much says it all for me.

Truly enjoying the hell out of it.

With that said I also am what I believe to be the minority of people who truly enjoyed the previous games in the series.

And make no mistake about it, it is an Infamous game.

Just everything is better.

Some things, such as the visuals, are insanely better.

The particle effects truly are bonkers, and just seeing them in a screenshot does not do them justice.

I really have not seen better in a game. Even on PC. They are just stunning.

I will say I think It's actually very easy to take this game for granted.

What I mean by that is they have improved the mobility a decent amount. Traversing the city just seems much easier than previous games.

It's easy to take it for granted and I think that's worth pointing out.

The story seems decent enough. No doubt serviceable.

I have shared on Neowin over the years I personally do not play video games for the story so I admittedly do not pay a whole lot of attention to it. What I have picked up on seems decent enough. The writers are not Hemmingway or Shakespeare, that's for sure. Your standard video game stuff to be honest. I have not cringed at anything, so that's saying something.

Just a damn fun game that looks spectacular.

Really nothing much else to say.

• Like 2

Do I have had to play the prequels to understand the story in this? I've never played them because I didn't own a PS3. (Borrowed one to play Last of Us and Uncharted). It looks fun to play and Im considering grabbing it.

Do I have had to play the prequels to understand the story in this? I've never played them because I didn't own a PS3. (Borrowed one to play Last of Us and Uncharted). It looks fun to play and Im considering grabbing it.

So far I get it.  Haven't played the sequels.. but seems to make sense.

So far I get it.  Haven't played the sequels.. but seems to make sense.

I think I'll grab it then, my biggest worry was being surrounded by main characters Im supposed to know, with stories I'm expected to know, and do things for reasons I'm expected to know. :D

Not at all. It would perhaps provide some insights, but it is totally standalone and not necessary.

It sure is a pretty game, they spent the budget on particle effects and it shows.

Edit: I also managed to accidentally cancel the download of the day one patch (Y)

I've played all three and Infamous: Second Son is a different story line. Don't need to play the prequels to understand the story.

But for Infamous 2, its continues on from Infamous 1 and you'll have to play that to get the full story.

I picked up the game yesterday and have been really impressed, I've pretty much been playing the game non-stop since I bought it and the visuals are amazing.

Its small details you pick up on like the shadows in the water shifting with the ripple effect of the water, the reflection in the water also having a ripple effect, smoke parting when you walk through it, seeing the effects of the neon powers you get from the second conduit you drain, etc I could go on forever but the graphics/visuals are an immense improvement over the previous games and possible the best I've seen so far. Makes the game feel very life-like.

Now onto the gameplay, I've been a fan of the Infamous series and even similar games like prototype since they were released and Second Son feels faster, smoother and more fluid than the previous it is a clear improvement. Its very fast paced and has lots of action. I did notice it was a lot easier to die though compared to previous games in the series which makes its a bit more difficult and you don't feel like a God like the previous games where you could swoop in and destroy everything and then head to the next mission. You have to use the powers to hide away for a bit and recovery health more often, but smoke powers lets you got through barriers, digital gives you wings, neon gives you light speed, concrete turns you into a rolling boulder and another one lets you turn invisible so all the power I've used so far have something to let you escape fairly easily. I remember in previous games when you died it would take awhile to load back to save point, Second Son is almost instantaneous.Moving around the city is much easier and quicker, especially once you steal the 3rd conduits powers in the story line so I never felt like I was wondering around and taking forever to get to the next mission like the previous games.

For the story line I'm not too fond of.. For example in one of the first scenes you acquire your first conduit powers and help catch a bio-terrorist for the D.U.P they then get suspicious cause you seem nervous (going back to the visuals/graphics you can visually see that he is nervous from his body language and facial expressions another tick in the life-like features) so they interrogate him and you have the option of 1). Telling the truth (Good Karma) or 2). Saying nothing which would force the D.U.P to torture your friends (Bad Karma).. Why did he tell them he acquired conduit powers for 1). when their job is to catch and imprison people with conduit powers? It just felt stupid, he could have just lied or told them what the conduit said about the prisons to cover up his nervousness.. maybe I'm just being picky but I preferred the Cole and Mercer types (smart, strong, silent types) rather than this main character.

Overall a very fun game to play, looks amazing, story line isn't the best imo and once you start it up its hard to get off.. I kept telling myself I'll just do one more mission but have basically been playing non-stop so far.
  • Like 2

I think I'll grab it then, my biggest worry was being surrounded by main characters Im supposed to know, with stories I'm expected to know, and do things for reasons I'm expected to know. :D

If you're concerned about that you can watch something like this here to get you up to speed - Infamous in 5 Minutes. Like the others have said though, it's different characters in this one so you can get by without knowing the previous stories at all.

Never realized how nice Friday launches are, played a few hours last night and between this and March Madness I probably won't be leaving the house much this weekend.

As DirtyLarry said, the biggest difference for me as been the mobility of Delsin and how much more quickly he can move around now.  I haven't gotten too far, only freed up 2 districts and just got my final smoke power.  Wasn't even going to play the game too much last night as I was planning to go to bed early and after booting it up to see the intro it was suddenly 2 hours later and I was still yet to make dinner (which I planned to do after checking out a couple mins of the game).  Anyone who was a fan of the previous 2 I'm sure will love this one.

Also if you're interested make sure you're doing the Paper Trail stuff for the extra story content that's coming - infamouspapertrail.com

Well I got up early this morning and starting tearing into this game.  I have to agree with the impressions so far.

I have played all of the previous games, so I had certain expectations as far as game mechanics, but what impressed me the most in that area was how fluid movement felt.  Jumping around the city just felt better then the previous games.  Maybe its a better level of animation or just the overall visual polish, but I'm really enjoying it.  Speaking of the visual polish, man, they really nailed it.  Its a clear step up from the previous games and in a game like this where its all about running around a city at fast speeds, pulling off all sorts of stunts in combination with super powers, the improved visuals have a big impact on the experience. You can just walk around and appreciate all the detail work they put into various effects. Oh and I have not yet noticed any performance issues such as frame rate drops, but I'm also not one to notice them unless they are pretty large, so take that for what its worth. 

I'm not that far into it to comment on the story, but frankly, I haven't been enjoying this series based on the story as much as the gameplay, so I'm ok if it turns out to be rather bland. 

I agree that this game feels more difficult then the previous ones.  Its not to an annoying level of difficulty though, just more challenging for me, which is fine.  You definitely don't feel as invincible as you did in the older games.  Maybe that will change as I get farther into it though, so we will see. On the other hand, its not a bad idea on their part to mix it up for us and force us to be more strategic this way.  You have to pick your battles and even do a little planning vs previous games in this series or in the genre where you can pretty much throw yourself into anything. Its not drastically different, but I've noticed it enough that it feels different,  nice change of pace for me personally.

So yeah, great game so far.  Its just an all around fun experience and I'll be jumping back into it today and see how far I can get.  If the story aspect is lacking, that won't be enough to change just how fun it is to play it.

Hot Damn.

Just unlocked

Neon

. WOW. It is visually amazing from a graphics standpoint.

• Like 1

Hot Damn.

Just unlocked

Neon

. WOW. It is visually amazing from a graphics standpoint.

Hey, me too!  Just got to that point.  I like the variety so far in regards to combat powers.

I guess its kind of a shallow effect to get excited over, but the effects they use for the various powers are a real treat visually.  I've had that same feeling with just one other game so far this gen.  Its the 'little' stuff like this that make s a game more exciting.  I want to show it off :laugh:

Hey, me too!  Just got to that point.  I like the variety so far in regards to combat powers.

I guess its kind of a shallow effect to get excited over, but the effects they use for the various powers are a real treat visually.  I've had that same feeling with just one other game so far this gen.  Its the 'little' stuff like this that make s a game more exciting.  I want to show it off :laugh:

Not shallow at all man, better visuals is one of the main reasons we got these next gen consoles after all. Well at least for myself.

Not shallow at all man, better visuals is one of the main reasons we got these next gen consoles after all. Well at least for myself.

Well I mean more specifically than just better visuals.  Things like particle effects or water effects, etc.  Things like that that some might think of as just fluff or might make the scene too 'busy'. 

There is something about getting a good dose of those effects that I like in a genre like this. 

Its the 'little' stuff like this that make s a game more exciting.

When you talk about details with the smaller things in game, I really like how they used the controller's speaker in this one.  It's a neat touch how when you drain whatever energy you need from the environment, it moves it from the surround speakers into the controller as it finishes draining.

I just unlocked my third power though I'm not sure I like it as much as the Neon.  Neon is just so powerful, it's like sniper rifle vs SMG (third power) where neon may not fire as quick but packs a much more powerful punch in comparison.  Plus the mobility you get with neon is so nice, you can spend a few shards and you get the continuous run while holding 'O'.  The third one does have a really fast mobility one but it's not continuous anymore.