36 replies to this topic

#1 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:43

Hello,

Looking for a USB flash drive today, I wondered what was Neowin's opinion on their best USB flash drive manufacturer. Take in account how long they last (wear and tear), fastest read/write speeds, durability and these factors related to price :)

Thank you

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:48

generally i always buy sandisk 

#3 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 15 November 2013 - 14:56

I know a friend of mine likes Patriot Supersonic Boost XT line. They make USB 2.0 as well as 3.0. So faster write speeds.

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 November 2013 - 14:59

I have a bunch of Sandisk Cruzers that are really nice.

If you want something indestructible and waterproof, check out the Super Talent Pico series.

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:27

Super Talent and Patriot - ive had a few Patriots in the past which are great, but never owned a Super Talent.

Also, like most things, im sure that a lot of flash drives are made by Foxconn or something and simply rebranded...

#6 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:31

2.0 or 3.0

#7 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:36

2.0 or 3.0

what

#8 Ficman

Ficman

49,000,004 n00b's served...

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:43

Patriot have lasted the best for me, stay away from Kingston's  

#9 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 November 2013 - 18:58

lots of problems with Kingston for me, and they are the only ones i ever had.

next one i am getting will be different brand for sure.

#10 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 15 November 2013 - 19:43

I unequivocally recommend Patriot's flash drives, in particular the Boost XT series.

I have owned several Patriot Xporter Boost XT flash drives, and they have all been fantastic. I was first tempted to buy one when the series was fairly new, mostly because the read/write speeds were top of their class for USB 2.0 flash drives. The reviews on NewEgg were very positive, so I bought my first (4 GB) Xporter Boost XT in 2008. I used that flash drive heavily over the next two years until I bought another of the same series (an 8 GB this time). More recently I purchased a Patriot Supersonic Boost XT so I could take advantage of the USB 3.0 port on my laptop. Keeping with the trend of its predecessor, the Patriot Supersonic Boost XT is one of the fastest USB 3.0 flash drives available. Its performance is easily double that of my older USB 2.0 flash drives when plugged into a USB 3.0 port, and it performs virtually identically to my Xporters when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Since my first experience with the Xporter, I have purchased many more Patriot Xporter Boost XT flash drives of various sizes. They have all been extremely durable, and the read/write speeds have not degraded noticeably with extensive use. Several of mine have accidentally gone through the washing machine and/or drier once or twice without ever showing any ill effects. Not a single one has failed on me, or anyone I have given one to, which is impressive considering that I have bought so many over the last 5 years that I have lost count. The Patriot Supersonic Boost XT flash drives I have bought for myself and family members have maintained the same level of quality while improving the read/write speeds. While I haven't sent a Supersonic through the washing machine (yet) or observed the durability and performance over as long a period of time as the Xporter, I have no reason to believe that the Supersonic won't last just as long while continuing to perform well.

Taking into account the flash drives I have given to friends and family members as I have purchased larger ones, I currently own (1) 8 GB, (1) 16 GB, and (1) 32 GB Patriot Xporter Boost XT; additionally I have (1) 16 GB Patriot Supersonic Boost XT. Therefore I'm not merely telling you with minimal confidence that I think you should try this hardware; I have clearly already voted with my wallet.

#11 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 November 2013 - 22:34

Hello,

I have had good results with Corsair, Lexar, Patriot and SanDisk USB flash drives.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#12 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:21

what

USB 2 or USB 3. . . :shiftyninja:

#13 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:22

I don't know of a 'best' but Sandisks aren't bad, of course Sammy's aren't too bad neither

#14 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:26

I used Sandisk exclusively before switching to a portable HDD and personal FTP server as I lost too many of them.

#15 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:36

Does anyone really ever have many problems with flash drives? I've used about every brand you can think of and I have never had any problems with any of them.

Any premium you pay is probably marketing ###### or some novelty factor (shiny gold, doubles as a bottle opener, vibrates, grates cheese, etc.)