• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:25

Does anyone really ever have many problems with flash drives? I've used about every brand you can think of and I have never had any problems with any of them.

Any premium you pay is probably marketing bull**** or some novelty factor (shiny gold, doubles as a bottle opener, vibrates, grates cheese, etc.)

No. I've have a ton of usb thumb drives I've gotten free at conferences or picked up over the years and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've used them for things like OS installs, Live Keys, and presentation transfers. Then only time I'd actually bother to pay more for 'quality' is if I was looking for a 32-64GB stick. Anything smaller is dirt cheap and doesn't hold enough for R/W speeds to really matter at the end of the day.

#32 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:38

Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB 3 Flash Drive gets 190-210 MBPS transfer speeds to and from SSDs.

I like the ADATA DashDrive Elite 64GB. 99MBs Write/210MBs Read. Probably the same internals.

#33 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:26

If you looked into benchmarks you would see that different USB drives can have a huge difference in read/write speeds. The cheaper drives usually have performance that matches the price.

If you're only using it to transfer small-ish files the speed increase probably isn't worth the premium.

#34 OP riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:10

Hello,

Does anyone really ever have many problems with flash drives? I've used about every brand you can think of and I have never had any problems with any of them.

Very very slow read/write speeds is what I mostly see happening with most flash drives.

Everyone recommends Sandisk....

#35 Rayhoo

Rayhoo

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:38

Sandisk is the best I've ever had and still the best.  Kingston will be my last recommendation. 

#36 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 November 2013 - 20:18

I have, unfortunately. I'm on my third Corsair GT 64GB. I've had to RMA both after both went belly up. For some reason the 1st two went from just fine to a constantly-blinking blue light.

Needless to say, if it werent for the RMAs, i wouldnt be using this particular drive any more.

#37 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 20 November 2013 - 20:21

I use Sandisk and Verbatim

never had a problem