Photo

Best USB flash drive manufacturer?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 125
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:16

This thread is from 2013 ;)  So its quite possible much of this info is no longer valid for best or anything to really..

I have been happy with
http://smile.amazon....uct/B00H7PBXU2/
Silicon Power 16GB Blaze B30 USB 3.0 Swivel Flash Drive R/W up to 40/20 MB/s, Black (SP016GBUF3B30V1K)

Picked up a few of these to have in the desk, seemed like whenever someone needed something the 4 or 8 gigs I had were just a hair too small.  And they were slow at 2, so picked these up and also have couple of the 32gig and couple of the 8s that were on sale for like 5 bucks or something..

Price is good and like the design

sp16.png

#47 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:55

Aren't these notorious for having that non-bootable issue?

Yes, it what I was referring to in my previous post.  It didnt effect the smaller ones, just the 64GB and larger.  It has been "fixed" -

I have to laugh when I read "Sandisk" & "built to last" in the same sentence - they are junky plastic - just using faster chips.

#48 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:09

I'm looking to buy a Kangaru Defender. They aren't cheap but they are practically one of the only ones that still have write protection switches on them which I use in my office. Which are the only kid i'll insert in a customers computer inside Windows. Plus they have signed firmware :)

http://www.amazon.co...anguru defender

#49 cr0ss

cr0ss

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:13

If you are looking @ the Sandisk Extreme in 64GB or larger, make sure you get the latest version.  There have been 2 versions.

When they first came out, to comply with Win8, they made the drives appear as a fixed disk according to Windows Explorer.
So, if you wanted to boot to it, many programs that make bootable USBs would not see the drive as it only looks for removable disks.

They realized the stupidity of their decision, and after about a year on the market, changed the firmware to make the drive appear as a removable disc.
If you get the older version, you can not hack it to "flip the bit" and make it look like a removable.

Is there any way to differentiate between the two before buying? If you were to buy from Amazon for example, how would you know which one you're getting?

#50 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:21

Is there any way to differentiate between the two before buying? If you were to buy from Amazon for example, how would you know which one you're getting?

I dont think there is - when I get home I'll confirm - I can look @ old screenshots

#51 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:50

Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB 3 Flash Drive gets 190-210 MBPS transfer speeds to and from SSDs.

Been using this model for a couple of years. Still great,

#52 cr0ss

cr0ss

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:34

Thanks T3X4S.

#53 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:07

Thanks T3X4S.

NP -

The new bootable version has CZ80 in part #

As you can see here:

Google

and here:

Capture.JPG

#54 arachnoid

arachnoid

Reality doesnt stand a chance

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:41

If your getting it from Amazon warehouse directly  theres no guarantee which you`ll get as they just pick the part number from the nearest bin not necessarily from that supppliers.

#55 MikeM97

MikeM97

Tech addicted

• Phone: LG L3 II E430

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:12

I'm looking to buy a Kangaru Defender. They aren't cheap but they are practically one of the only ones that still have write protection switches on them which I use in my office. Which are the only kid i'll insert in a customers computer inside Windows. Plus they have signed firmware :)

http://www.amazon.co...anguru defender

I guess you're buying it along [ and for ] its reputation .

I had a Kingston USB which got itself killed .

Comparing these two manufacture lines [ by their producer place in statistics ] , which one should I choose for a next product ?

#56 freqnasty

freqnasty

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Mac OSX 10.9, Linux Mint
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:39

I had 3 of those Corsair Voyager GTR (big black and yellow) back in the day - they were plagued with problems of corrupted firmware and heat - got sick of RMA-ing those so I gave it to someone who wanted it

I've still got one of the Corsair Voyager GTR 32GB flash drives. Haven't had a problem with it so far. Always maxes out well on USB 2.0 ports with 35MB/27MB read/Writes.

I've also got 3 Sandisk Extreme 16GB drives and one 64GB drive which are quick especially the 64 model. I've had them about 2 years and they haven't thrown up any problems. Like others have said, the plastic housing appears a bit flimsy but the connector is retractable so less chance of it snapping off.
Sandisk released a 128GB extreme flash drive. SSD speeds and has a much nicer metal casing.

#57 iogbrideau

iogbrideau

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2015 - 16:28

I haven't bought a usb stick in years, so my information might be out of date, but with the many brands I've used, Kingston was the worst as they often failed. Sandisk was pretty good, my first ever usb stick was a Cruzer Mini 512MB and it still works to this day (although I almost don't use it anymore as it isn't much space anymore and is a slow stick). Same with another old stick I have, a cruzer Micro 8GB. Since then I have bought their Cruzer Edge for their lower price, they're made with quite cheap plastic and stuff, but still work to this day as well, I have 2 of the 32GB model of that and have a decent write/read speed.

#58 cr0ss

cr0ss

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2015 - 19:39

Thanks T3X4S. And arachnoid, good point but I'll hassle them if that happens. They're generally very good with respect to customer service, in my experience.

#59 Tager

Tager

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 April 2015 - 19:07

I have a couple Kingston's at varying sizes.  So far no problems.  I get them cheap through work, usually at cost.

#60 MikeM97

MikeM97

Tech addicted

• Phone: LG L3 II E430

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:40

It's all about luck , isn't it ?