iPhone 5S: worth the upgrade? (vs 4S)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:58

Is it "true" about the older 4S-hardware and iOS slow down?!

I don't know about iPhone's, but on my iPad 3 the performance is quite poor. To me this is just not acceptable. Poor performance is to be expected on an iPad 2, but not on the iPad 3! I intend to move to a Nexus 10 next year.

#32 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:44

I don't know about iPhone's, but on my iPad 3 the performance is quite poor. To me this is just not acceptable. Poor performance is to be expected on an iPad 2, but not on the iPad 3! I intend to move to a Nexus 10 next year.

How 'funny' I have no issues/lags etc on my iPad 2.

Strange this iOS7 behavior on different devices... makes you kinda think Apple is "purposely" slowing down devices - and some not - just for upgrade-reasons...

#33 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:13

I think 4/4s screensize is enough, and that they're great phones, if you have JB iOS 5 or 6 on them

#34 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:35

I think 4/4s screensize is enough, and that they're great phones, if you have JB iOS 5 or 6 on them

The screensize is perfect/nice. It's just battery life that on iOS7 is really, really awful.... :(

#35 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:40

i went from 4s to 5s.

its lighter, the extra screen bit is nice.

i do like the touch id, as now i can just press and it unlocks, when it works.

otherwise nothing much really.

#36 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:25

i went from 4s to 5s.
its lighter, the extra screen bit is nice.
i do like the touch id, as now i can just press and it unlocks, when it works.

otherwise nothing much really.

How is the difference in battery life? I mean, nowadays at the end of the day with my 4S I have like 3-5% (in some cases 10%) battery left. Whereas this has been 30+%.
And is it (noticeably) faster?

#37 darkz

darkz

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:30

The screensize is perfect/nice. It's just battery life that on iOS7 is really, really awful.... :(

Dunno, iPhone 4 screen is perfect for 5 and 6 but for iOS7 - You can immediately tell that it was designed for a larger screen, feels somewhat squished together.

#38 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:31

4s to 5s, I would say yes.  4s to 5 or 5 to 5c/s....I would say no.

#39 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:34

I also upgraded from a 4S to 5S, and I never had any issues with iOS7 on my 4S. The battery life was always great and I could easily go a day or two of casual use without draining the battery.  I never noticed any lag or anything either.  I got my 5S before the 7.0.x incremental update came out that fixed the transition effects, so I'm sure it's even better on the 4S now.

Overall, my 4S was always fast, so I haven't noticed any speed difference between it and the 5S.  Battery life is probably better on my 5S since it has a bigger battery and it's brand new vs 2 years old.  

Hard for me to say since I went from Sprint, which has an un-usable data network, to AT&T which has an amazingly fast 4G network.  I definitely use my 5S more since the data network actually works.

#40 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 19:20

How is the difference in battery life? I mean, nowadays at the end of the day with my 4S I have like 3-5% (in some cases 10%) battery left. Whereas this has been 30+%.
And is it (noticeably) faster?

I get about 50%, but to be fair i havent been using it heavily the last few days.  Depends on what you do i guess. But yes its a better battery life compared to the 4s. It is faster feels about 30% faster, i like the fact that its also a lot lighter....

#41 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 19:31

Normal usage. Some browsing, maybe a YouTube video. Not really data intensive things...

#42 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 18:22

So basically with practically the same usage of my 4S... yesterday my battery went dead/phone turned off, today (after like 10 hours) battery percentage is 78%.

Something is totally off here. However, I am unable to identify what's causing this.
And, in case of the 5S, whether this issue occurs as well, but only on a newer phone.

The AppStore had measured and tested my 4S battery and didn't find any battery related problems and I also needn't to replace the battery.

#43 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 19:14

Maybe it's (all) hardware related.... just a reset of my network (carrier) settings just bumped my battery from 76% to 70%.
And possibly in some cases I am lucky to have a full battery and on another day some sort hardware related bug/setting or background app just wipes away all battery power....

My iPhone 4S is a little more than 2 years old at the moment with daily/nightly battery charges (so around 800 charges in total).

Or am just guessing here?

#44 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 November 2013 - 19:56

I will get it retail price/Apple online, so not with a plan. Basically that means for the 32GB version 799 euro.
Still a huge amount of money, but I like Apple and Android/GS4 etc is no option.

Plus, I invested heavily in the App(le) eco-system and hate to see this money go down the drain...

If it were me, I'd just get the battery replaced.  The 4S should run iOS 7 reasonably well IMO.  Wait for the iPhone 6 if you are looking to pay full price.  I'm the same, I pay full price for my hardware and use pre-pay networks that are a lot cheaper in the US.  However, I'm on an upgrade-every-3-year schedule so that I can save some money.

If you were committed to a service that subsidized a new phone for you every 2 years then the upgrade would be a no-brainer IMO.  I'm always flabbergasted at folks who pay Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint ridiculous amounts of money on overpriced services but they want to save money and not upgrade their phone when an upgrade is available.  Well, those guys charge you and extra ~$35/month for your service that can be chalked up as a "phone loan payment" regardless of if you actually take advantage of their subsidized upgrade.  You're basically not getting your money's worth if you choose not to upgrade with those guys.

#45 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:01

Maybe it's (all) hardware related.... just a reset of my network (carrier) settings just bumped my battery from 76% to 70%.
And possibly in some cases I am lucky to have a full battery and on another day some sort hardware related bug/setting or background app just wipes away all battery power....

My iPhone 4S is a little more than 2 years old at the moment with daily/nightly battery charges (so around 800 charges in total).

Or am just guessing here?

I believe there is some sort of battery percentage algorithm that gets calculated after a few charge cycles.  So if you reset a bunch of your settings, you likely reset the battery calculation.  You'll probably have to wait a few days for the algorithm to get re-calibrated.