iPhone 5S: worth the upgrade? (vs 4S)

OK. And does this algorithm shut down the phone at 0% even if the battery is still charged at >0% (and technically must remain power and stay on)?

Running your battery all the way down to 0% may permanently damage the battery.  The no-no's to lithium ion batteries:

* Do not charge the battery in hot weather.  For example, charging the battery in a hot car on a summer day will most likely damage the battery permanently.

* Do not ever discharge the battery to 0% charge.  There should be safety mechanisms built into the battery that shut off the power output from the battery when it is really low (say 2% or something)... still, it will continue to discharge some just by sitting there.  If ever you need to store a battery for an extended period of time its always to have something just over 50% (based on what I've read).

I don't believe "deep-cycling" lithium ion batteries does much except perhaps reset the charge level indicator....  I've read many articles from lithium ion battery experts that claim that this deep-cycling that a lot of folks suggest is a relic from old Nickel Cadmium rechargeable batteries.

My fiancee has my old iPhone 5, which I gave her when I upgraded to the 5s. We went out for a run the other day and we use our phones to track the runs. During the run, her phone lost 12% and mine lost 3%. I think this is because of the M7 motion co-processor, which seems to drastically improve battery life.

I've used my phone heavily today and I still have 38% left. Took it off charge at 7am and it's now 9pm. GPS tracking, few calls, some texts, playing games, lots of browsing. 

This is pretty consistent with my usage on the 5 and my Wife's experiences with her 5S.  On a typical light day of usage, we are both around 60% by the time it lands back on the charger in the evening.  Light GPS usage can bring it down to about 20% by the end of the day.  If I need to use the GPS heavily throughout a day (like when I'm on travel), I must re-charge the phone sometime during the day.

Kinda looks like my battery is, despite the findings of Apple, somewhat damaged because it runs - at least now - very few times to 0% and turns itself off. Plus the fast drop in battery power.

Sometimes the phone itself runs hot as well.

So all in all it might be a combination of (faulty) battery/hardware?!

Maybe it is time for a new 5S?!

Kinda looks like my battery is, despite the findings of Apple, somewhat damaged because it runs - at least now - very few times to 0% and turns itself off. Plus the fast drop in battery power.

Sometimes the phone itself runs hot as well.

So all in all it might be a combination of (faulty) battery/hardware?!

Maybe it is time for a new 5S?!

Have you tried resetting the phone and NOT restoring from backup (using it in default configuration)?

If you want a 5S, get a 5S :).  It's a fine piece of hardware.  My wife loves her.  But if your problem is some software configuration issue, and you restore your new 5S using a backup from your 4S, the problem may persist even on new hardware....  She was having issues with her iPhone 4 not being able to set MY custom ringtone/texttone and the problem persisted on her 5S because she restored from her backup file (she could set other folks just fine).  Just reset the whole thing last night and the problem went away.

I guess it's not software/config related, because one time my phone is acting as it should and the other time it drains lik h***.

What is it?? It could be a combination of both battery w/ internal hardware of some kind?!

Anyways, it doesn't work & act to last a day or so...

Have we made the decision? If you have T-Mobile it's $0 down all weekend.

I'm thinking about switching from AT&T, I'll have to pay the ETF which is about $300 for 2 phones. The $0 from T-Mobile is making me want to switch for sure, or I can bring my own phones and pay $100/month instead of $160/month.

Is it worth it? I'm stopping by T-Mobile today.

I think so yeah!

If you own a 4S yes, iPhone 5 I don't think the premium price isn't worth the upgrade.

• 3 months later...