PS4 Owner Impressions

The only thing I could ever really see it being useful for is to quickly say PlayStation take screenshot.

I agree. I could see myself using that every so often. That command did work just fine by the way.

I took a few shots of Resogun. I'm still grinding away on the game and its still so much fun. The visual make for some cool screenshots too.

Nice review, now after the X1 is released I would really like to get a review from someone who owns both like a side by side review.

Well I plan to do just that. My X1 arrives Friday.

I think I will post my impressions as a stand alone like this one and then post some comparison thoughts.

• Like 2

I got my PS4 Friday and meant to write something here but never had a chance until now.  So here's my thoughts:

The hardware looks great.  I set it up vertically (without a stand) and plugged it strait into the TV on Friday just to get it up and running ASAP and had no issues.  I'm not sure why you'd want to pay for the stand it works great without it.  This wasn't the permanent location though and on Sunday I moved it so it was actually on a shelf in my entertainment center, sitting horizontally, and connected through my receiver.  Again no issues and this is it's long term setup.

I have the original 60GB PS3 (with an upgraded 500GB HDD) so I couldn't just reuse the power cable and as far as noise the PS4 seems quieter but I don't have a Xbox of any sort or any of the PS3 Slims to compare it with.

Starting it up for the first time I didn't bother with doing anything pre day one patch.  The patch came down EXTREMELY fast which surprised me because I figured they'd be hammered but I have FiOS and it took under a minute to download.  In fact I think the install, reboot, etc. took longer than the download did.  With the patch downloaded I ran through the setup routine and I DID have issues.  About half way through I got an PSN connection error that dumped me into the system.  Things worked ok but I had to go back later and manually connect to Facebook and twitter, activate the console as my primary, and some of the other config things.  This was on Friday night so I guess they were getting hammered which again makes it surprising that the patch came down so fast.  I'm glad I didn't waste my time with the USB stick.  On Sunday my girlfriend set up her account and went through the whole process with no issues.

Once I was in the UI is ok.  I'd prefer if Music and Video Unlimited weren't on the main bar (Video should be with Amazon, Netfix, etc. and Music should have it's own group but I guess that would have to wait until there are other options).  I'd also prefer if the Disc based games that aren't currently in the drive didn't show up on the bar of icons and instead just the game with the disc in the drive and maybe the most recently played downloadable ones.  The rest should be under a generic Games grouping that contains all games (disc in drive or not).  Most of the weekend my What's New page has been empty I assume due to connection issues with them being slammed.  Not that I care much about the social features.  I also had trouble finding where to go to delete the User1 account that came with the system so I had to google that since it's buried in the settings but that was no big deal.

Music - It comes with a free trial of Music Unlimited and I'm not impressed.  I tried it then couldn't figure out how exit it but it crashed on me so it worked out ok.  I'm a Pandora One man myself and I use my PS3 to play Pandora in the living room over my receiver (via the PS3 web browser) so I was looking forward to using the PS4 instead with it's better browser and more memory. (The PS3 eventually craps out due to memory issues after hours of playing Pandora and the browser must be restarted.)  No go here though as there is no Pandora music app (there isn't on the PS3 or Vita either) and worse the web interface doesn't seem to work either.  I blame Pandora on this though because they don't direct you to the stripped down site that the PS3 uses and instead have you go to the full blow site which requires Flash or something that the PS4 doesn't have.  I guess for the time being my PS3 will remain my living room "radio" but I hope this improves in the future.

Movies - I didn't try to play any movies yet so I don't know how that works but I intend for the PS4 to become my Blu-Ray player (my PS3 currently is and I've never actually purchased a stand-alone Blu-Ray player).  I do have Amazon Prime so I downloaded and ran that app with no issue.  However it looks pretty much the same at the PS3 version and I didn't actually watch anything on it yet so again it's still an unknown.

Games - Here's what it's all about.

The only game I got with the system on Friday was Skylanders: Swap Force.  My girlfriend and I ran out to Target Friday night to pick her up a controller so we could play together and we had a great time.  It looks great but it's a cartoony game so I'm not sure it's stressing the system.  Kotaku seems to think it's great as well though: http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-makes-skylanders-swap-force-look-so-1465888947

I also downloaded Resogun and Contrast with the free PSN Plus trial that was included with the system.  Resogun is beautiful and addictive and reminds me of playing Defender in the arcades when I was a child, I am surprised at how well the speaker in the controller works with this as I thought it was a stupid addition before playing.  Contrast seems fine but it's really not my kind of game so I doubt I'll be playing it much more (my girlfriend may end up liking it though as it seems like something she'd be interested in).

When I went to bed Friday (well technically Saturday morning ;) ) I busted out my PS Vita and I have it say it was AWESOME playing Resogun in bed streamed from the PS4 downstairs in the living room.  Both my PS4 and Vita are only one the wireless network (Sony recommends you wire your PS4 for remote play) but I didn't have any issues at all. (I have the latest Wireless FiOS router from Verizon)

Saturday my Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack came in from Amazon. (They informed me my Skylanders Pre-Order counted toward their buy 2 get 1 free deal so I picked up these two as a BOGO).

Killzone Shadow Fall is gorgeous.  I can't tell you how it is as a FPS though because I'm not a FPS fan.  I buy a FPS with each new console and each new graphics card upgrade though just to test the visuals since this is the genre that seems to be on the bleeding edge graphically. (I got Resistance Fall of Man with my PS3 too and that was the only PS3 FPS I ever bought).  So this game is really more of a visual demo for me and I played through the intro but didn't try anything online or anything.  It's the only game I've played so far that used the touch pad though and it seemed ok.

Knack I intend to play primarily Coop with my girlfriend.  I've put it in the drive to install but so far all our Coop time has been in Skylanders so we haven't actually played it yet.  I know it's getting bad reviews but I don't care about story or anything I just want it to be a fun game to play with the girlfriend.  I'm still hopeful on this font.

I didn't try voice because I hate earbuds and I didn't buy the camera (I'm asking for it for a Christmas present).  I honestly don't care about voice though one way or another.  I keep hearing people complain about the cheap headset that's included but I'm under the impression you can use other ones (can you not?) so I don't see what the big deal is.  If you prefer to have a dedicated camera/multi-mic array then get the camera you don't have to use a headset.  Seems a stupid thing to complain about to me.  I would like to say though that I hope Sony NEVER supports voice to turn the system on.  To do that would mean a mic would have to be constantly listening when the system was "off" and the fact it doesn't do that is one of the (many) reasons that I chose PS4 over XBone.  I'd rather just turn the system on via my Vita, my Cell Phone, or a controller.  I'm also not a fan of the concept of voice to turn it off.  I don't know how well that works on either system but I'm sure as heck going to say "Xbox Off" or "PlayStation Off" every time I know I'm around an active mic just to see how exploitable that is.  If I can just walk into the room and say something like that when someone else is in the middle of a game and the system shuts down then I personally think that's nuts.  Even if I have to add "Confirm" or "Yes" afterwords.  I guess parents might like that if they want to get Johnny off the game console though.

I have the Playstation App on my Android phone (Droid 4) and it seems to work fine as well but I haven't done much with it.  The "What's New" page rarely has content (but as I stated it doesn't on the console itself either so I assume this is just the PSN servers being swamped opening weekend).

Overall I like the system.  I've had ZERO issue with the hardware and was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the day 1 update worked and by the remote play with my Vita (Resogun in bed FTW!)  It definitely has some software rough edges though and there seems to be opening weekend connectivity issues but those aren't unexpected and certainly not unfixable.  Also the game selection is obviously rather limited at this point.  I'm really looking forward to playing Infamous: Second Son and also coop Diablo 3 with the girlfriend.

I would like to say though that I hope Sony NEVER supports voice to turn the system on.  To do that would mean a mic would have to be constantly listening when the system was "off" and the fact it doesn't do that is one of the (many) reasons that I chose PS4 over XBone.  I'd rather just turn the system on via my Vita, my Cell Phone, or a controller.  I'm also not a fan of the concept of voice to turn it off.  I don't know how well that works on either system but I'm sure as heck going to say "Xbox Off" or "PlayStation Off" every time I know I'm around an active mic just to see how exploitable that is.  If I can just walk into the room and say something like that when someone else is in the middle of a game and the system shuts down then I personally think that's nuts.  Even if I have to add "Confirm" or "Yes" afterwords.  I guess parents might like that if they want to get Johnny off the game console though.

Great review, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the voice options, I'm not sure why you would hope that Sony never supports an optional control though. You obviously have no interest in the controls, which is fine, but some of us do like the option.

Even on the X1, you don't have to use that control. You can disable all voice control, or just the control that turns on the console. Its not a mandatory thing at all.

I'm all for these guys adding more options in control.

Regarding the voice options, I'm not sure why you would hope that Sony never supports an optional control though. You obviously have no interest in the controls, which is fine, but some of us do like the option.

Normally I'm all for giving people options but in this case it's a privacy issue.  I don't think Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) would necessarily use it maliciously but have you read the news on this stuff recently with the FBI, NSA, etc.?

I hope the hardware isn't even capable of listening when the system is off, i.e. no power to the mics at all.  Having a software setting to disable it means nothing because their OS can just ignore that setting, it's just software.

Lets say the NSA decides they want to listen to your console (maybe as part of some broad sweep they are conducting, they don't even suspect you in particular of doing some specific thing).  They get a court order from the secret FISA court to do so and issue it to the console maker (Sony or Microsoft).  The console maker is required by law to comply and they can't tell you or the public about it.  Having a software setting that says not to isn't going to do anything.  They'll just tell them to push an update that ignores that setting for the given application because the hardware is capable of doing it.  I'm hoping that Sony can just say "I'm sorry but our mics have no power when the system is off and we can't change that with a simple software update, it's a hardware limitation."

You can think I'm nuts or paranoid if you like but thing like this are all over the news and that's just what's public.  There is more that hasn't been made public and I personally hold a clearance for my job as a defense contractor so I'm probably at greater risk.  I think that Joe Public is incredibly naive about the level of surveillance currently conducted on them.  Even when you try to tell them the truth they think it's science fiction or something and laugh it off. 

Still hate the controller.  The left thumbstick is too far to the right.

Is the right tumbstick then too far the left?  Seems like an odd critique since I'm pretty sure they are the same distance in from either side.

Is the right tumbstick then too far the left?  Seems like an odd critique since I'm pretty sure they are the same distance in from either side.

I mean that its too far for my thumb.

The left stick should be like every other controller.  I've never been uncomfortable using Xbox controller cause the stick is on the top left location and the D pad is on the lower left position.

Normally I'm all for giving people options but in this case it's a privacy issue.  I don't think Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) would necessarily use it maliciously but have you read the news on this stuff recently with the FBI, NSA, etc.?

I hope the hardware isn't even capable of listening when the system is off, i.e. no power to the mics at all.  Having a software setting to disable it means nothing because their OS can just ignore that setting, it's just software.

Lets say the NSA decides they want to listen to your console (maybe as part of some broad sweep they are conducting, they don't even suspect you in particular of doing some specific thing).  They get a court order from the secret FISA court to do so and issue it to the console maker (Sony or Microsoft).  The console maker is required by law to comply and they can't tell you or the public about it.  Having a software setting that says not to isn't going to do anything.  They'll just tell them to push an update that ignores that setting for the given application because the hardware is capable of doing it.  I'm hoping that Sony can just say "I'm sorry but our mics have no power when the system is off and we can't change that with a simple software update, it's a hardware limitation."

You can think I'm nuts or paranoid if you like but thing like this are all over the news and that's just what's public.  There is more that hasn't been made public and I personally hold a clearance for my job as a defense contractor so I'm probably at greater risk.  I think that Joe Public is incredibly naive about the level of surveillance currently conducted on them.  Even when you try to tell them the truth they think it's science fiction or something and laugh it off.

But the key here is that its optional.

Even in your scenario, all you have to is simply unplug whatever mic you have connected. Nothing will force you to use a mic.

So Sony or MS adding the option still doesn't leave you open to being spied on unless you actually use the option.

Ultimately, everyone will decide how much of these things they want to use based on privacy concerns.

Overall PS4 is good, would recommend.

I downloaded the day one patch on a USB ahead of time so getting the PS4 up and running was relatively quick.

I thought the UI would be difficult to navigate based on the pictures but it was actually easy to get around.  Everyone talked about how slow the framerates would be but I've yet to see that.  The PS ability to multitask is very good, no lag.

The blu ray drive is a little loud when it spools up but after that its quiet.

I have FIFA 14, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and knack atm.  Knack is stupid.  FIFA looks great.  Assassin's Creed is a very good game.

But the key here is that its optional.

Even in your scenario, all you have to is simply unplug whatever mic you have connected. Nothing will force you to use a mic.

So Sony or MS adding the option still doesn't leave you open to being spied on unless you actually use the option.

Ultimately, everyone will decide how much of these things they want to use based on privacy concerns.

Well originally MS did create an issue even as you describe as they did require the Kinect 2 be connected in order for the Xbone to function.  I believe it was one of the things they revised and it is no longer required.

Beyond that though having to plug and unplug the mic all the time would be a PITA.  I don't want an active mic when my system is "off" and I'm not a big fan of turning the system off by voice commands but I'm not against voice completely.  I'm all for navigating the UI via voice when the machine is actually "on".  Being able to say "Play Netflix" or "Start Battlefield 4" or whatever is great.  Furthermore I'm all for voice features WITHIN games or even chat across games but again having to connect and reconnect the mic every time would be a huge nuisance.

In any event it's just my personal opinion.  You are free to disagree it's not like I dictate which features Sony adds and really either the hardware supports it or it doesn't.  If the hardware support it and Sony just doesn't make the capability public via software then it still falls into the scenario that they could be secretly compelled to activate the feature.

Well originally MS did create an issue even as you describe as they did require the Kinect 2 be connected in order for the Xbone to function.  I believe it was one of the things they revised and it is no longer required.

Beyond that though having to plug and unplug the mic all the time would be a PITA.  I don't want an active mic when my system is "off" and I'm not a big fan of turning the system off by voice commands but I'm not against voice completely.  I'm all for navigating the UI via voice when the machine is actually "on".  Being able to say "Play Netflix" or "Start Battlefield 4" or whatever is great.  Furthermore I'm all for voice features WITHIN games or even chat across games but again having to connect and reconnect the mic every time would be a huge nuisance.

In any event it's just my personal opinion.  You are free to disagree it's not like I dictate which features Sony adds and really either the hardware supports it or it doesn't.  If the hardware support it and Sony just doesn't make the capability public via software then it still falls into the scenario that they could be secretly compelled to activate the feature.

MS did indeed remove the Kinect requirement. They also added full control over which voice options functions.

That means that you can turn off the function that listens while the system is off and still have it for navigation and in game. Of course you can easily dismiss this since the NSA could order it turned back on I suppose.

I would also mention that even if voice controls only work within a game or the UI, I don't see how that would keep the NSA or anyone else from secretly enabling the mic to listen at all times. Basically, if your worried about the privacy side of it, I highly recommend not connecting any camera or microphone to your console.

Luckily, both consoles can work just fine without such things.

I mean that its too far for my thumb.

The left stick should be like every other controller.  I've never been uncomfortable using Xbox controller cause the stick is on the top left location and the D pad is on the lower left position.

Both tumbsticks are equal distance from the nearest side of the controller.  My confusion is just that you called out the left stick which seems to imply that the right one is fine (which is what I was asking to confirm.)  Since they are the same distance in I would assume either BOTH would be a problem making it odd that you called out one specifically or maybe one of your thumbs is significantly longer than the other?

I'm not sure what you mean by "like every other controller".  I'm pretty sure the PS Dual Analog controller arrangement predated the Xbox version.

It sounds to me like you're an xbox user who is just used to using the xbox controller so until you get used to it the DualShock 4 is going to feel a bit awkward.  That's natural any time you change button arrangement but will likely pass with continued use.

It's fine if you don't like the DualShock 4 though, to each his own.  I just thought the complaint about a specific tumbstick was a bit odd.

Both tumbsticks are equal distance from the nearest side of the controller.  My confusion is just that you called out the left stick which seems to imply that the right one is fine (which is what I was asking to confirm.)  Since they are the same distance in I would assume either BOTH would be a problem making it odd that you called out one specifically or maybe one of your thumbs is significantly longer than the other?

I'm not sure what you mean by "like every other controller".  I'm pretty sure the PS Dual Analog controller arrangement predated the Xbox version.

It sounds to me like you're an xbox user who is just used to using the xbox controller so until you get used to it the DualShock 4 is going to feel a bit awkward.  That's natural any time you change button arrangement but will likely pass with continued use.

It's fine if you don't like the DualShock 4 though, to each his own.  I just thought the complaint about a specific tumbstick was a bit odd.

His point is that he prefers the left stick to be up high on the controller. Some people find the Xbox config to be more comfortable, so that will always be a minus on the Ps controller for those people.

I happen to feel more comfortable with an Xbox layout as well. I use both types, but the Xbox style just has a better feel to me.

That means that you can turn off the function that listens while the system is off and still have it for navigation and in game. Of course you can easily dismiss this since the NSA could order it turned back on I suppose.

I would also mention that even if voice controls only work within a game or the UI, I don't see how that would keep the NSA or anyone else from secretly enabling the mic to listen at all times. Basically, if your worried about the privacy side of it, I highly recommend not connecting any camera or microphone to your console.

Luckily, both consoles can work just fine without such things.

The entire notion of software disable is just silly.  If you believe that Sony or Microsoft were intent to listen to for whatever reason (malicious, compelled by law, whatever) what good is a software setting that they provide?  That's like buying a lock from the guy who you are afraid is going to rob you.  A software setting is only good if you are confident that Sony or MS won't listen (because they were compelled or not) but want to make sure that others (game developers, app developers, etc.) are prevented from doing so.  Sony and MS can insure that non-governmental third parties can't spy on it.

If the mic only has power when the console is on, how would the NSA possibly spy on you when the console is off?  I don't care if the NSA wants to spy on what I say while playing games and surfing the UI.  I don't want the NSA to be able to hear everything going on in my living room (or however far the mics can hear) when I'm doing NOTHING with the console because the console has to keep the mic powered to listen for "Console On".

Awesome reviews.   UPS says mine is on the truck for delivery, so hoping to have it within the next few hours.  Bought a new TV yesterday (nothing big, but full 1080P HD), have killzone, am all set and ready to go.   It's nice to see the reviews posted on here are positive.  If everything goes to plan I should have a few hours play time tonight, and get my review up tomorrow.

His point is that he prefers the left stick to be up high on the controller. Some people find the Xbox config to be more comfortable, so that will always be a minus on the Ps controller for those people.

I happen to feel more comfortable with an Xbox layout as well. I use both types, but the Xbox style just has a better feel to me.

im in this boat.  I actually hated the ps3 controller and was prob the reason I stopped buying games after Uncharted.  After messing around with the ds4 in Target.. Im back on board and will pick up my ps4 in the not so distant future.

I suspect that has less to do with what is actually more ergonomic and more to do with what is more familiar.  If you've been using an Xbox controller for years then sure picking up a DualShock 4 is going to feel a bit odd but that should fade with use as you grow familiar with the new arrangement.  Same is true the other way.  Now if you actually can't reach the controls or your hands cramp or something that would be different.

If the mic only has power when the console is on, how would the NSA possibly spy on you when the console is off?  I don't care if the NSA wants to spy on what I say while playing games and surfing the UI.  I don't want the NSA to be able to hear everything going on in my living room (or however far the mics can hear) when I'm doing NOTHING with the console because the console has to keep the mic powered to listen for "Console On".

What is to stop Sony or MS adding that function later or the NSA, etc hacking there way in to enable such a function? All it takes is modification to software and/or firmware to enable listening while the system is off.

I'm just saying that anyone that wants 100% confidence that stuff like that cannot happen, they will not leave the camera or mic plugged in.

Its all about choice. These consoles are built with flexibility in mind. So as long as you educate yourself on the risk to an option, you can avoid it or embrace it. You can get an X1 or a ps4 and avoid the extras you aren't interested in.

Awesome reviews.   UPS says mine is on the truck for delivery, so hoping to have it within the next few hours.  Bought a new TV yesterday (nothing big, but full 1080P HD), have killzone, am all set and ready to go.   It's nice to see the reviews posted on here are positive.  If everything goes to plan I should have a few hours play time tonight, and get my review up tomorrow.

Great news. New TV as well? Exciting :)

Look forward to your impressions.

I suspect that has less to do with what is actually more ergonomic and more to do with what is more familiar.  If you've been using an Xbox controller for years then sure picking up a DualShock 4 is going to feel a bit odd but that should fade with use as you grow familiar with the new arrangement.  Same is true the other way.  Now if you actually can't reach the controls or your hands cramp or something that would be different.

I have actually used both controller styles for years, having owned all Xbox and Ps consoles over the years.

I still prefer the Xbox style. The higher left stick is just more comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the X1 controller since the dpad is suppose to vastly improved, a weakness on the 360.

That doesn't mean the ps4 controller is bad. I like it a lot and its a big improvement over the ps3. Its a great controller.

I have actually used both controller styles for years, having owned all Xbox and Ps consoles over the years.

I still prefer the Xbox style. The higher left stick is just more comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the X1 controller since the dpad is suppose to vastly improved, a weakness on the 360.

That doesn't mean the ps4 controller is bad. I like it a lot and its a big improvement over the ps3. Its a great controller.

I've used a large number of controllers (Playstation, Xbox, N64, dreamcast, nes, snes, etc, etc).  For me the Playstation controller feels more natural.  I don't like the split feel of the xbox controller, I prefer my hands level instead of split horizontally.   Everyone is going to feel different based on what they find most comfortable.   I doubt there will ever be 1 controller that is unanimously (or as close to as possible) the best.