PS4 Owner Impressions

I suspect that has less to do with what is actually more ergonomic and more to do with what is more familiar.  If you've been using an Xbox controller for years then sure picking up a DualShock 4 is going to feel a bit odd but that should fade with use as you grow familiar with the new arrangement.  Same is true the other way.  Now if you actually can't reach the controls or your hands cramp or something that would be different.

Nope, it's ergonomics for me.  The higher thumbstick means the controller sits comfortably in the palm unlike the Playstation controllers which feel a balancing act between fingers.

What is to stop Sony or MS adding that function later or the NSA, etc hacking there way in to enable such a function? All it takes is modification to software and/or firmware to enable listening while the system is off.

I'm just saying that anyone that wants 100% confidence that stuff like that cannot happen, they will not leave the camera or mic plugged in.

Its all about choice. These consoles are built with flexibility in mind. So as long as you educate yourself on the risk to an option, you can avoid it or embrace it. You can get an X1 or a ps4 and avoid the extras you aren't interested in.

I'm pretty sure I covered this when I said "...and really either the hardware supports it or it doesn't.  If the hardware support it and Sony just doesn't make the capability public via software then it still falls into the scenario that they could be secretly compelled to activate the feature."

What is to stop Sony or MS adding that functionality later?  What I'm saying is that I hope the HARDWARE doesn't support it.  If the console is "off" and there is no power to the mics and no way to get power to the mics no matter what software the console is running they can't add the functionality later without some sort of hardware redesign.  That is what I'm hoping for. That no matter what the software says when the console is "off" it cannot send power to a mic attached to a wireless controller or via the camera port.

The entire notion of software disable is just silly.  If you believe that Sony or Microsoft were intent to listen to for whatever reason (malicious, compelled by law, whatever) what good is a software setting that they provide?  That's like buying a lock from the guy who you are afraid is going to rob you.  A software setting is only good if you are confident that Sony or MS won't listen (because they were compelled or not) but want to make sure that others (game developers, app developers, etc.) are prevented from doing so.  Sony and MS can insure that non-governmental third parties can't spy on it.

If the mic only has power when the console is on, how would the NSA possibly spy on you when the console is off?  I don't care if the NSA wants to spy on what I say while playing games and surfing the UI.  I don't want the NSA to be able to hear everything going on in my living room (or however far the mics can hear) when I'm doing NOTHING with the console because the console has to keep the mic powered to listen for "Console On".

If the NSA really cared what was going on in your living room, they would already have you figured out.

Do you also not carry a cell phone? Built a Faraday cage around your house and not use the internet?

Nope, it's ergonomics for me.  The higher thumbstick means the controller sits comfortably in the palm unlike the Playstation controllers which feel a balancing act between fingers.

But it's symmetric, that's my confusion.  If the lower left thumbstick is uncomfortable via ergonomics then so should the right thumbstick (unless your hands are significantly different sizes).  The right stick on the Xbox is similarly located as well so is that not a problem?  One would think then if you don't like reaching for the lower thumbsticks (which is a perfectly valid preference) then the Wii U Pro Controller would be the preferred layout:

320px-Wii_U_Pro_Controller.JPG

If this is that case that's fine but again that makes it odd to call out just one side.  I'm just trying to understand the criticism as it seems odd to call out one side only of a symmetric controller.  Please don't take it as any sort of attack against your own personal preference.  Use whatever controller you prefer.

If the NSA really cared what was going on in your living room, they would already have you figured out.

Do you also not carry a cell phone? Built a Faraday cage around your house and not use the internet?

You're right, since they're already looking at our call logs, trying to put GPS tracking devices on cars without warrants, and drones are becoming more and more popular why don't we just all go ahead and all stream full audio/video streams of our entire life online and just dispense with this whole privacy thing.

Would you like to know my religion or race so you can mock me on that too?

Thank you for your wonderful contribution to this discussion.

You're right, since they're already looking at our call logs, trying to put GPS tracking devices on cars without warrants, and drones are becoming more and more popular why don't we just all go ahead and all stream full audio/video streams of our entire life online and just dispense with this whole privacy thing.

Would you like to know my religion or race so you can mock me on that too?

Thank you for your wonderful contribution to this discussion.

You actually believe that if microsoft sells 40 million xbox 1's with a kinect that not a single person in the world is going to be able to find out if someone is watching them?  A simple router and simple network sniffing would prove everything once and for all, yet, here you are, using a conspiracy theory as a burden of a "wonderful contribution to this discussion".  oi vey..

You're still on the internet?

Look, i get it, some people don't want the kinect. That is A - OK. Your choice.  Cell Phones, Laptop, Tablets and many many many devices have video and there are infinitely more with audio capabilities.

Not to mention, once again, that if the NSA cared about you, they wouldn't need you to buy an X1 to get at what they're monitoring you for.

What the NSA has done is BS, but so is thinking the X1 is spying on you

But it's symmetric, that's my confusion.  If the lower left thumbstick is uncomfortable via ergonomics then so should the right thumbstick (unless your hands are significantly different sizes).  The right stick on the Xbox is similarly located as well so is that not a problem?  One would think then if you don't like reaching for the lower thumbsticks (which is a perfectly valid preference) then the Wii U Pro Controller would be the preferred layout:

320px-Wii_U_Pro_Controller.JPG

If this is that case that's fine but again that makes it odd to call out just one side.  I'm just trying to understand the criticism as it seems odd to call out one side only of a symmetric controller.  Please don't take it as any sort of attack against your own personal preference.  Use whatever controller you prefer.

Your forgetting about game design playing a role in ergonomics. The way games are designed to make use of each stick will effect how each person prefers a layout. That also applies to the face buttons.

Most games follow a pattern of using the left stick for one thing and the right stick for another. Some people feel more comfortable using that assigned control on the left stick when its raised. Most games also use the face buttons for more often used functions than the right stick, so those same people feel more comfortable when the face buttons are raised to the same level as the left stick.

That's why the WiiU design isn't great for everyone either.

It comes down to the physical design/comfort of a controller + the layout + the button layout of games = overall ergonomics

Its different for everyone.

I would add that its silly for anyone to attack someone who is concerned about their privacy.

I applaud anyone that takes the time to properly educate themselves on this topic.

These next gen consoles are offering all of these features that while they can add great experiences, also require us to accept some possibilities of losing some privacy. Beyond the obvious stuff about voice or motion controls, the mere fact that both consoles are constantly connected to the internet opens it up to possible abuse.

Everyone must decide how much that matters to them and if it means avoiding some features of a console or not getting the console all together.

Your forgetting about game design playing a role in ergonomics. The way games are designed to make use of each stick will effect how each person prefers a layout. That also applies to the face buttons.

Most games follow a pattern of using the left stick for one thing and the right stick for another. Some people feel more comfortable using that assigned control on the left stick when its raised. Most games also use the face buttons for more often used functions than the right stick, so those same people feel more comfortable when the face buttons are raised to the same level as the left stick.

That's why the WiiU design isn't great for everyone either.

It comes down to the physical design/comfort of a controller + the layout + the button layout of games = overall ergonomics

Its different for everyone.

As this discussion thus far has just been about the sticks the buttons/d-pad and which are used more have not been relevant.  I totally agree that people prefer different things and some may prefer the sticks high and some may prefer them low (I haven't questioned that at all.)  I would think however that they'd want them the same on both sides with respect specifically to which is most comfortable WHEN USING THE STICKS.  Now maybe they don't use the stick as much with one hand, as you suggest, and do use the buttons or d-pad more and so they don't care if the stick on that side is less comfortable because they'd rather have the more frequently used buttons/d-pad at the more comfortable position.  That shouldn't change the fact that the stick was more comfortable in a symmetric position... unless their hands are significantly different.

As this discussion thus far has just been about the sticks the buttons/d-pad and which are used more have not been relevant.  I totally agree that people prefer different things and some may prefer the sticks high and some may prefer them low (I haven't questioned that at all.)  I would think however that they'd want them the same on both sides with respect specifically to which is most comfortable WHEN USING THE STICKS.  Now maybe they don't use the stick as much with one hand, as you suggest, and do use the buttons or d-pad more and so they don't care if the stick on that side is less comfortable because they'd rather have the more frequently used buttons/d-pad at the more comfortable position.  That shouldn't change the fact that the stick was more comfortable in a symmetric position... unless their hands are significantly different.

Exactly, you get my point.

If this was just about the sticks alone, then the WiiU layout would be best.

But we aren't in a vacuum. The reason many favor the Xbox style over say the PS or WiiU is more than just the stick placement. Since most games favor the most important controls going to the left stick and the face buttons, having those up high is preferable to many people.

Basically, the most frequently used controls are more comfortable to these users when they are up high.

Exactly, you get my point.

If this was just about the sticks alone, then the WiiU layout would be best.

But we aren't in a vacuum. The reason many favor the Xbox style over say the PS or WiiU is more than just the stick placement. Since most games favor the most important controls going to the left stick and the face buttons, having those up high is preferable to many people.

Basically, the most frequently used controls are more comfortable to these users when they are up high.

My mistake then.  I thought the guy who posted the initial comment about this stick issue just referred to the stick being uncomfortable (i.e. the stick was in a vacuum) and not the overall ergonomics of the controller.  If as you say it's about overall controller ergonomics then sure that changes the discussion.

In any event we agree that there is no way anyone can make a controller that makes everyone happy because people have different opinions.  I suspect there will be more people coming to the PS4 from the PS3 and prior systems (I believe the original Wii's "classic" controller also had the DualShock-like arrangement) then from system with an Xbox like button setup so it makes sense Sony would support the greater number.  I think we can probably all agree that the DualShock 4 is a big improvement over the DualShock 3 even if it isn't our optimal arrangement though.

Okay, well I've posted a few comments regarding the PS4, but now that I've had mine for the weekend, here are my first impressions. First off, I haven't gotten to play a ton because I was busy working on my car over the weekend, but I got at least a little bit of time in on all of my games now.

The hardware itself is, uhh... not really a big deal to me to be honest. My PS4 is still sitting on top of my aquarium stand turned entertainment center because I haven't routed the wires below yet, but it's fairly boring to the point of not being noticeable. Same appears to be the case with everything the pictures of the Xbox One. To be honest, I'm happy with that. When I do route it below where it should go, it will be hidden anyway. The clean black "industrial" design looks good to me. The box itself feels solid enough and well built. Like mentioned, the USB ports are in a channel which was sort of a dumb design, but there are solutions to the problem. The system has been very quiet for me, only noticibily audible when a disc is spinning really.

Next is the controller. I read the quote of mine that was posted on the main page regarding the controller, and it came out a little more negative than I expected. Granted, I was tired, PSN wasn't working, and the games were being a pain installing, so I was a little frustrated. Still, my point I was trying to get to was if you loved the PS4 controller already, you'll love it even more. If you hated it, you'll probably still not like it, but it's definitely a step up from previous versions. It fits in your hand much better, the sticks are finally concave and slightly stiffer than the ridiculously floppy sticks from previous versions (that was my biggest annoyance). Like I said before and like was discussed prior, I think the Xbox layout is better because I prefer left stick and buttons at the top since that's what you use a LOT of the time. Regardless, I think this is a PS controller I can definitely get used to. I still feel really akward playing games like Battlefield or CoD and needing to use the d-pad and stumbling while I remember it's above, but that's just what I'm used to.

On to the software. I don't have a huge positive or negative to say about the OS. It's fairly simplistic and gets the job done. It's not the best looking, but it's not the worst. Most important to me is that it's very easy to get to just about anything very quickly. Still, I think it lacks and could use improvement. For one, I said this before and I'll say it again, I REALLY want to see a central install status in the PS4 OS so you don't have to depend on the game. And even a way to manually start an install if you wish. I really hate how they've gone to this "It'll install on it's own while you're playing" thing because every game has their own method of installing. Some tell you, some keep you completely out of the loop (CoD). This was confusing and frustrating when I was first setting up the system and games. Also, I had some games repeatedly tell me that I should update them, but I never found a way to actually start the update and had to wait for it to decide to do that on it's own as well. That may have been PSN issues though because the next time I sat down it had gotten the updates it wanted. In the end, I like how simple the system is. There aren't a lot of buttons or screens to scroll through, everything is mostly just there.

In games was MOSTLY smooth with a few exceptions. Battlefield had repeated issues connecting to servers. When I tried to play the 64v64 mode, it never connected. When I tried team deathmatch it connected no issue. A friend told me about opening ports on my router, so I'll try that later, but should we still have to worry about opening ports on a console in 2013? Where's UPnP? This is a small issue to me, but potentially a much larger issue to anyone less computer saavy. Also, one time when I tried to launch the training mission in Battlefield the entire thing crashed. It dropped back to an error reporting screen and asked me what I was doing so I could report the issue to Sony. Tried going right back to the same place and it was good after that. Again, a few glitches don't concern me much while it's so new as long as they get them fixed soon.

Like I said in the other thread, the games aren't impressive right now. They really do just look like doctored up last gen games, as I think many of them are. 2014 will bring a lot more games that utilize the power of the next gen consoles, so if you didn't get one yet, don't be too disappointed. You're not missing a whole lot yet. I bought 3 games, Battlefield 4, CoD: Ghosts, and Assassins Creed, and my favorite is the free PSN download, Resogun. On the contrary though, if you DID get one already, or are getting a One at launch, I don't think there's too much disappointing. The PS4 is a very solidly built machine and aside from a few PSN issues at launch, it seems to run great. I expect the One will be very much the same way, though I'm definitely interested in playing with One just to see if I still like the choice of getting the PS4.

In any event we agree that there is no way anyone can make a controller that makes everyone happy because people have different opinions.  I suspect there will be more people coming to the PS4 from the PS3 and prior systems (I believe the original Wii's "classic" controller also had the DualShock-like arrangement) then from system with an Xbox like button setup so it makes sense Sony would support the greater number.  I think we can probably all agree that the DualShock 4 is a big improvement over the DualShock 3 even if it isn't our optimal arrangement though.

I agree.

The reason that MS has not changed their design and Sony has not changed theirs is due to the fact that both are very popular. There are enough people out there that prefer one or the other to support both being on the market.

At the end of the day, I think everyone would game on either controller. Neither design is bad or terrible. Its just a preference thing.

Okay, well I've posted a few comments regarding the PS4, but now that I've had mine for the weekend, here are my first impressions. First off, I haven't gotten to play a ton because I was busy working on my car over the weekend, but I got at least a little bit of time in on all of my games now.

The hardware itself is, uhh... not really a big deal to me to be honest. My PS4 is still sitting on top of my aquarium stand turned entertainment center because I haven't routed the wires below yet, but it's fairly boring to the point of not being noticeable. Same appears to be the case with everything the pictures of the Xbox One. To be honest, I'm happy with that. When I do route it below where it should go, it will be hidden anyway. The clean black "industrial" design looks good to me. The box itself feels solid enough and well built. Like mentioned, the USB ports are in a channel which was sort of a dumb design, but there are solutions to the problem. The system has been very quiet for me, only noticibily audible when a disc is spinning really.

Next is the controller. I read the quote of mine that was posted on the main page regarding the controller, and it came out a little more negative than I expected. Granted, I was tired, PSN wasn't working, and the games were being a pain installing, so I was a little frustrated. Still, my point I was trying to get to was if you loved the PS4 controller already, you'll love it even more. If you hated it, you'll probably still not like it, but it's definitely a step up from previous versions. It fits in your hand much better, the sticks are finally concave and slightly stiffer than the ridiculously floppy sticks from previous versions (that was my biggest annoyance). Like I said before and like was discussed prior, I think the Xbox layout is better because I prefer left stick and buttons at the top since that's what you use a LOT of the time. Regardless, I think this is a PS controller I can definitely get used to. I still feel really akward playing games like Battlefield or CoD and needing to use the d-pad and stumbling while I remember it's above, but that's just what I'm used to.

On to the software. I don't have a huge positive or negative to say about the OS. It's fairly simplistic and gets the job done. It's not the best looking, but it's not the worst. Most important to me is that it's very easy to get to just about anything very quickly. Still, I think it lacks and could use improvement. For one, I said this before and I'll say it again, I REALLY want to see a central install status in the PS4 OS so you don't have to depend on the game. And even a way to manually start an install if you wish. I really hate how they've gone to this "It'll install on it's own while you're playing" thing because every game has their own method of installing. Some tell you, some keep you completely out of the loop (CoD). This was confusing and frustrating when I was first setting up the system and games. Also, I had some games repeatedly tell me that I should update them, but I never found a way to actually start the update and had to wait for it to decide to do that on it's own as well. That may have been PSN issues though because the next time I sat down it had gotten the updates it wanted. In the end, I like how simple the system is. There aren't a lot of buttons or screens to scroll through, everything is mostly just there.

In games was MOSTLY smooth with a few exceptions. Battlefield had repeated issues connecting to servers. When I tried to play the 64v64 mode, it never connected. When I tried team deathmatch it connected no issue. A friend told me about opening ports on my router, so I'll try that later, but should we still have to worry about opening ports on a console in 2013? Where's UPnP? This is a small issue to me, but potentially a much larger issue to anyone less computer saavy. Also, one time when I tried to launch the training mission in Battlefield the entire thing crashed. It dropped back to an error reporting screen and asked me what I was doing so I could report the issue to Sony. Tried going right back to the same place and it was good after that. Again, a few glitches don't concern me much while it's so new as long as they get them fixed soon.

Like I said in the other thread, the games aren't impressive right now. They really do just look like doctored up last gen games, as I think many of them are. 2014 will bring a lot more games that utilize the power of the next gen consoles, so if you didn't get one yet, don't be too disappointed. You're not missing a whole lot yet. I bought 3 games, Battlefield 4, CoD: Ghosts, and Assassins Creed, and my favorite is the free PSN download, Resogun. On the contrary though, if you DID get one already, or are getting a One at launch, I don't think there's too much disappointing. The PS4 is a very solidly built machine and aside from a few PSN issues at launch, it seems to run great. I expect the One will be very much the same way, though I'm definitely interested in playing with One just to see if I still like the choice of getting the PS4.

I'm not sure what you mean by the install status.  On mine when I put the disc in there is a little progress bar on the game telling you it's installing and what the progress is.  When it's finished it also does a notification letting you know if you are somewhere else in the system.  At least that's the way it works on my games but we don't have any game overlap so maybe your games are different or I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.  I can't check now because I'm not home but I believe also if you go up to the top bar thing and go to notices or something like that it will show all of them in one place as I recall downloading resogun and contrast at the same time and I could watch both from there as well as on their individual tiles.  My memory might be off on that though.

I find it amusing that you say the games aren't impressive because they look like doctored up last gen games when all the games you have are in fact last gen games.  You didn't get any next-gen only game other than Resogun which you say is your favorite.  I'm not talking about console exclusives either but the real next gen games will likely be ones that won't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 version and will instead target PS4, Xbone, and (64-bit) PC.  Right now I think that does end up meaning console exclusives though.

Anyway thanks for the post, I genuinely enjoy reading what other owners think.

I'm not sure what you mean by the install status.  On mine when I put the disc in there is a little progress bar on the game telling you it's installing and what the progress is.  When it's finished it also does a notification letting you know if you are somewhere else in the system.  At least that's the way it works on my games but we don't have any game overlap so maybe your games are different or I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.  I can't check now because I'm not home but I believe also if you go up to the top bar thing and go to notices or something like that it will show all of them in one place as I recall downloading resogun and contrast at the same time and I could watch both from there as well as on their individual tiles.  My memory might be off on that though.

I find it amusing that you say the games aren't impressive because they look like doctored up last gen games when all the games you have are in fact last gen games.  You didn't get any next-gen only game other than Resogun which you say is your favorite.  I'm not talking about console exclusives either but the real next gen games will likely be ones that won't have a PS3 or Xbox 360 version and will instead target PS4, Xbone, and (64-bit) PC.  Right now I think that does end up meaning console exclusives though.

Anyway thanks for the post, I genuinely enjoy reading what other owners think.

I don't recall there being a notification for install finishing. Whenever I did see my games installing, I was in game, and not at the menu, so maybe it would have had a progress bar if I dropped back to the menu, but I was thinking when you press down with a game selected so that it shows the details page it could tell you if you've installed whatever needs to be installed like texture packs in the case of CoD. I read that there was no way to check the install status on CoD at least and I didn't come across any way. The rest showed some kind of progress bar. Are you talking about installing when you download them? I'm talking about installing from disc. I did see progress and notification on download for games like Resogun that I downloaded. The games on disc seemed to handle the installs within the game or behind the scenes. Maybe I missed something though. I'm still learning my way around. If you do find anything please let me know as I'd love to learn. Another thing that added to the confusion was the first time I put Battlefield 4 in, I got to the home screen and could play, but the second time I put the disc in, it went to an install screen. I just feel like they left it up to the game developers to install how they wish which means some may do a better job than others making it noticeable.

As far as the games, that was kind of my point. Most of the games released so far aren't designed specifically for PS4. I know there are a few like what, Knack, Killzone? A couple others maybe? For the popular games that are cross platform an cross generation games though, most of them aren't up to par just yet. I think we'll start seeing more games flowing early next year. GT6 comes out next month, Watch Dogs in the spring. Those are a couple that will actually start to utilize the system. Like you said, there are a few exclusives, but a lot recycled right now. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just meant don't run out to get a PS4 or X1 to play some awesome new version of Battlefield 4 or CoD (naming the more popular of the games released so far), as they aren't really a huge step up yet. Did we expect them to be? Maybe not, but maybe I expected more for some reason. Either way, they definitely have room to improve over time.

I agree.

The reason that MS has not changed their design and Sony has not changed theirs is due to the fact that both are very popular. There are enough people out there that prefer one or the other to support both being on the market.

At the end of the day, I think everyone would game on either controller. Neither design is bad or terrible. Its just a preference thing.

Pretty much. And with all of the third party accessory companies out there, you'll be able to get a 360-like controller for your PS4 eventually. 

GT6 comes out next month, [...] Those are a couple that will actually start to utilize the system.

Doubtful, since it comes out for PS3 and no PS4 version has been announced or confirmed.

I don't recall there being a notification for install finishing. Whenever I did see my games installing, I was in game, and not at the menu, so maybe it would have had a progress bar if I dropped back to the menu, but I was thinking when you press down with a game selected so that it shows the details page it could tell you if you've installed whatever needs to be installed like texture packs in the case of CoD. I read that there was no way to check the install status on CoD at least and I didn't come across any way. The rest showed some kind of progress bar. Are you talking about installing when you download them? I'm talking about installing from disc. I did see progress and notification on download for games like Resogun that I downloaded. The games on disc seemed to handle the installs within the game or behind the scenes. Maybe I missed something though. I'm still learning my way around. If you do find anything please let me know as I'd love to learn. Another thing that added to the confusion was the first time I put Battlefield 4 in, I got to the home screen and could play, but the second time I put the disc in, it went to an install screen. I just feel like they left it up to the game developers to install how they wish which means some may do a better job than others making it noticeable.

I'm still not sure I follow you sorry, I'll try again though.  The games I installed from disc (Skylanders, Killzone, and Knack) had a little progress bar at the bottom of it's tile on the main "menu" (the horizontal line of tiles) exactly like the ones that I downloaded (Resogun, Contrast).  Furthermore I installed some and then started playing another game and a little notice popped up in the top corner of the screen when it finished installing letting me know it was done.  Finally if you push up from the main "menu" (horizontal tiles) there is a set of options where your name is and the store and the clock and such.  When up there I believe there is one for notifications or some such (this is from memory so I may be off a bit) and when you open that it lists everything that is currently downloading/installing/etc. with a progress bar so you can see where everything is on one place if you like.  I do not believe you can see a progress bar of another download while you are in a game, you just get a notice when it's done.  I don't really recall there being any significant difference in how the downloaded vs. disc based games installed but again we don't have any overlap on disc games so many the ones you have installed differently (two of mine are first party... maybe third parties are free to do installs differently like you said that's why I'm so curious as to what happened with yours)

As far as the games, that was kind of my point. Most of the games released so far aren't designed specifically for PS4. I know there are a few like what, Knack, Killzone? A couple others maybe? For the popular games that are cross platform an cross generation games though, most of them aren't up to par just yet. I think we'll start seeing more games flowing early next year. GT6 comes out next month, Watch Dogs in the spring. Those are a couple that will actually start to utilize the system. Like you said, there are a few exclusives, but a lot recycled right now. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just meant don't run out to get a PS4 or X1 to play some awesome new version of Battlefield 4 or CoD (naming the more popular of the games released so far), as they aren't really a huge step up yet. Did we expect them to be? Maybe not, but maybe I expected more for some reason. Either way, they definitely have room to improve over time.

I'm not a FPS gamer but given your apparent like of them based on Battlefield and CoD I thought Killzone might be a natural as it's doesn't have to lug around PS3 or Xbox360 compatibility.  Knack is a goofy platform game, I got it but that's mainly because of the buy 2 get 1 free thing Amazon and Target were doing.  I hear it's not so good but I haven't actually played it yet having focused so far on other games.

I'm still not sure I follow you sorry, I'll try again though.  The games I installed from disc (Skylanders, Killzone, and Knack) had a little progress bar at the bottom of it's tile on the main "menu" (the horizontal line of tiles) exactly like the ones that I downloaded (Resogun, Contrast).  Furthermore I installed some and then started playing another game and a little notice popped up in the top corner of the screen when it finished installing letting me know it was done.  Finally if you push up from the main "menu" (horizontal tiles) there is a set of options where your name is and the store and the clock and such.  When up there I believe there is one for notifications or some such (this is from memory so I may be off a bit) and when you open that it lists everything that is currently downloading/installing/etc. with a progress bar so you can see where everything is on one place if you like.  I do not believe you can see a progress bar of another download while you are in a game, you just get a notice when it's done.  I don't really recall there being any significant difference in how the downloaded vs. disc based games installed but again we don't have any overlap on disc games so many the ones you have installed differently (two of mine are first party... maybe third parties are free to do installs differently like you said that's why I'm so curious as to what happened with yours)

I'm not a FPS gamer but given your apparent like of them based on Battlefield and CoD I thought Killzone might be a natural as it's doesn't have to lug around PS3 or Xbox360 compatibility.  Knack is a goofy platform game, I got it but that's mainly because of the buy 2 get 1 free thing Amazon and Target were doing.  I hear it's not so good but I haven't actually played it yet having focused so far on other games.

Weird, I dunno. Maybe I'll delete the game files and try again and see if I can find it show up just for the hell of it, but none of my games installed just by inserting the disc. Maybe there is a difference with third party like you said, but that would seem odd. Maybe I just never dropped to menu while they installed. I know when Battlefield was installing I walked off and let it go, and I know CoD installs silently. I do know where the notifications are that you're talking about. For some reason I didn't recall a notification for install, but there definitely was one for updates. I was playing in spurts of 15 minutes or so since I was busy so it's possible that I completely missed something and just confused myself.

You're right though, I definitely considered Killzone but I was looking for games that would have more friends on multiplayer. CoD isn't my very favorite, but it's a classic in a way, and everyone I know buys it, so I figured I'd get it. Battlefield 4 looked better so I got that and I definitely wanted Assassin's Creed which left Killzone out of the buy 2 get 1, though I may pick it up in time. I know it would have been graphically superior to the others, but I was looking for my first games to be ones other friends would have. In reality most of my friends don't even have a PS4 yet so it didn't matter. :laugh: Knack did look really silly to me at first, and I don't know that it would really be anything amazing in the graphics department since it's a little cartoony, but after I watched a trailer it actually looked like a lot of fun. To be honest, I really just can't wait for GT6.

Weird, I dunno. Maybe I'll delete the game files and try again and see if I can find it show up just for the hell of it, but none of my games installed just by inserting the disc. Maybe there is a difference with third party like you said, but that would seem odd. Maybe I just never dropped to menu while they installed. I know when Battlefield was installing I walked off and let it go, and I know CoD installs silently. I do know where the notifications are that you're talking about. For some reason I didn't recall a notification for install, but there definitely was one for updates. I was playing in spurts of 15 minutes or so since I was busy so it's possible that I completely missed something and just confused myself.

This sounds like your games worked completely different from mine??? When I insert a disc the game doesn't autoplay at all so you don't need to "drop to the menu", you're already there. When I put a disc in what happens is a tile is created for that game in the menu. The install starts automatically and there is a progress bar at the bottom of the tile. I haven't played Knack for example yet (waiting to play coop with my girlfriend) but I put the disc in waited for the progress bar to complete and then took it out.

I really just can't wait for GT6.

GT6 is only a PS3 game I'm pretty sure. You're going to have to wait for GT7 to get a PS4 entry in that series. I'm a huge NHL fan myself and EA seems to have released every sports game for the PS4 but that. Looks like I have to wait until next season to play NHL on my PS4. It's been forever since they had a portable one as well so I'm looking forward to playing NHL via Remote Play on my Vita as well.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but after some extended testing with the controller, I'm getting around 7 hours on a charge. Its definitely a step down from my ps3 controller.

I'm wondering why its so different. It could be the touchpad, but surely it doesn't demand so much power.

This sounds like your games worked completely different from mine??? When I insert a disc the game doesn't autoplay at all so you don't need to "drop to the menu", you're already there. When I put a disc in what happens is a tile is created for that game in the menu. The install starts automatically and there is a progress bar at the bottom of the tile. I haven't played Knack for example yet (waiting to play coop with my girlfriend) but I put the disc in waited for the progress bar to complete and then took it out.

GT6 is only a PS3 game I'm pretty sure. You're going to have to wait for GT7 to get a PS4 entry in that series. I'm a huge NHL fan myself and EA seems to have released every sports game for the PS4 but that. Looks like I have to wait until next season to play NHL on my PS4. It's been forever since they had a portable one as well so I'm looking forward to playing NHL via Remote Play on my Vita as well.

What the hell?! I didn't know GT6 was PS3 only! 1 to 2 years before GT7 for PS4? That really sucks.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of NHL as well. That's probably my most played game. The NHL team said they were going to just release 14 and then wait until 15 so they have plenty of time to make it fully next gen and not a ported game. Guess I'll have to stick to 13 on my 360 for now.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but after some extended testing with the controller, I'm getting around 7 hours on a charge. Its definitely a step down from my ps3 controller.

I'm wondering why its so different. It could be the touchpad, but surely it doesn't demand so much power.

I think the Move light will probably be eating a chunk of the charge. Hopefully they add an option to disable it. The touch pad is surely just like any of the other controls and only draws power when it's used.

I think the Move light will probably be eating a chunk of the charge. Hopefully they add an option to disable it. The touch pad is surely just like any of the other controls and only draws power when it's used.

That's true, but that is a big change for a light. The ps3 controller would easily push 25hrs.

That's true, but that is a big change for a light. The ps3 controller would easily push 25hrs.

I suspect the new rumble draws more power as well.