Microsoft Congratulates Sony on PS4 Launch

Whoever wins the first round of this new console cycle war, individuals at Microsoft are showing that they can be cordial and decent. Today via its official Xbox Twitter account Microsoft offered Sony congratulations on lunching its PlayStation 4 console. Several Microsoft executives involved with the Xbox One also extended their own personal messages congratulating Sony.

"Congrats to all my friends [at Sony] and [Adam Boyes] and [shuhei Yoshida] on the launch of PS4. Great job, looking forward to Gen8," Tweeted Albert Penello, director of product planning for the Xbox.

Microsoft studios vice president Phil Spencer and Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb also sent out congratulatory Tweets to Sony.

SCE president Shuhei Yoshida, along with Sony's Adam Boyes, both wished the Microsoft team good luck in their replies.

It just goes to prove even the bitterest of rivals can be decent towards one another from time to time. You can see the tweet from Xbox below:

Maybe already posted? I didn't see it.

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/11/15/microsoft-congratulates-sony-ps4-launch#.Uocd-8Snpqk

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Lies :p

lol. Honest!

I've been slow posting game news lately. People get in before me, unless I post Ninty news. No one gives the Nintendo forum any love besides me :(

• Like 1

lol. Honest!

I've been slow posting game news lately. People get in before me, unless I post Ninty news. No one gives the Nintendo forum any love besides me :(

We have a Nintendo forum?

:shiftyninja:

• Like 2

I personally think this was a bit of a dig at Sony, IMO Sony have taken cheap shots at MS for the last 6 months or so to get their brand ahead (which seems to be working). I take this as MS trying to take the moral high ground and showing that they wont bow down to Sonys level.

• Like 1

I personally think this was a bit of a dig at Sony, IMO Sony have taken cheap shots at MS for the last 6 months or so to get their brand ahead (which seems to be working). I take this as MS trying to take the moral high ground and showing that they wont bow down to Sonys level.

If only MS didn't have a history of congratulating their competitors in major consumer areas. ref. FF

• Like 3

Wow, it's simply marketing.  @playstation is popular on twitter right now, so MS have used that to promote their own brand.

Geeks love to act like these companies have emotions and so on...

Wow, it's simply marketing.  @playstation is popular on twitter right now, so MS have used that to promote their own brand.

Geeks love to act like these companies have emotions and so on...

My take on it is that there are people working at these companies too, and sometimes that shows.  In most cases though, I tend to agree with you, that it's usually just for the sake of the brand or bottom line.

Clever, put #Xbox in there, everybody retweets it and then suddenly #Xbox is trending! ;)

I am certain MS tweeted this out of self-interest, which is clever.  :shiftyninja:

I am certain MS tweeted this out of self-interest, which is clever.  :shiftyninja:

its only done for self interest anyway, the bottom line speaks the hardest, and so does its motivations.

If only MS didn't have a history of congratulating their competitors in major consumer areas. ref. FF

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not but I don't understand ref. FF ?

FF stands for Firefox. :)

ah!

I assume it wasn't sarcasm and MS have congratulated others then. Fair play to them but like others, I think there are very specific reasons rather than just being nice. 

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not but I don't understand ref. FF ?

It's not sarcasm or anything more than what it is.  The IE team would send the FF guys a gift cake (later a cupcake) when they would release a new version of FF.   The only one who's making something more out of this Xbox and PS4 thing are the fans.  Is it a bit of marketing?   Sure.  But it's only effective because people blow it up to be something bigger.

If the PS account sent MS the same tweet when the XB1 comes out would people make such a big deal out of it? 

Boxers shake hands before a match, why can't two competitors congratulate each other when the new product is released, before crushing the competition?

Off course it's a nice bonus that their XBOX brand gets seen at the same time, they are a business after all. 

It's not sarcasm or anything more than what it is.  The IE team would send the FF guys a gift cake (later a cupcake) when they would release a new version of FF.   The only one who's making something more out of this Xbox and PS4 thing are the fans.  Is it a bit of marketing?   Sure.  But it's only effective because people blow it up to be something bigger.

If the PS account sent MS the same tweet when the XB1 comes out would people make such a big deal out of it? 

In all honesty, I think I would probably come up with a conspiracy if they did :)

It's not a big deal really but it just shows you its done exactly what MS probably wanted to happen - we are talking about the new consoles! 

In all honesty, I think I would probably come up with a conspiracy if they did :)

It's not a big deal really but it just shows you its done exactly what MS probably wanted to happen - we are talking about the new consoles! 

Heh, that might be an interesting conspiracy theory.     At this point all MS has to do is make sure XBL doesn't crawl to a standstill on launch day and people are able to connect and download the update and then play online MP etc.   So far it seems Sony dropped the ball on that side of things.   But I figure MS will have beefed up the live servers enough to make sure people can connect and download updates/games and play online smoothly.   If that works out then they'd have had the more successful release out of the two so we'll see in a few days.

Heh, that might be an interesting conspiracy theory.     At this point all MS has to do is make sure XBL doesn't crawl to a standstill on launch day and people are able to connect and download the update and then play online MP etc.   So far it seems Sony dropped the ball on that side of things.   But I figure MS will have beefed up the live servers enough to make sure people can connect and download updates/games and play online smoothly.   If that works out then they'd have had the more successful release out of the two so we'll see in a few days.

I don't want to side track this too much, but I think with the likes of Sim City and then GTAO and now Sony, MS should be pulling out all of the steps to ensure they don't join the list of disappointments. 

I believe if anyone can, MS can do it because they already have a good idea about "the cloud" but unfortunately I think with Sony struggling with North America only and Xbox being released all over the world at the same time (seperated by time zones of course) they have a lot on their hands and they will still struggle. 

I hope they prove me wrong because I have a day one Forza edition so forgot the 500MB day one patch, its the 31GB download I am concerned about!