PS4 standby mode = awesome

Answered Go to the full post ps4 sony playstation

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2013 - 16:31

love the feature on the WiiU too, very handy. Woke up to an update the other morning all downloaded.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 November 2013 - 16:37

70W, 30W, who gives a crap? I don't. I just like the standby mode, period.

People who actually have to pay their electric bills, I imagine. 

how about this? turn of the console? then don't complain about 70W usage. Its not that hard now!

And then... turn it on and pull even more power while it downloads? Brilliant!

How about they use a low power mode for background downloads like every other recent electronic device on the market.  :rofl:

FWIW, as the article states, this will probably change in the future. It was probably just the fastest way to get it working with the hardware they had. The older versions of last generations consoles had high power usages as well.

#18 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 16 November 2013 - 16:57

People who actually have to pay their electric bills, I imagine.

If they were that concerned they should be turning off electricals completely. Unless they see value in spending money to see little red LEDs around their house...

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 November 2013 - 17:02

My god, some of you taking this to extremes.    If you don't care then you don't care, good for you.   Nothing wrong with mentioning it though, if you think it's higher than it should be, which is what I do, then what, I shouldn't say so?  I guess I should just live with it because it's no big deal or don't use it and turn it off all the way?    Yeah, ok.     You really can't bring up anything semi-negative or negative about anything when it comes to tech it seems. 

#20 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2013 - 17:15

Glad I don't have to lob that hideous pos of a power supply around my bedroom. Who would have thought, a simple figure 8 cable could have sufficed.

#21 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2013 - 17:23

The 70w standby explains why they removed the Suspend/Resume feature of the system. That would be a crazy electric bill every month.

#22 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2013 - 17:47

If they were that concerned they should be turning off electricals completely. Unless they see value in spending money to see little red LEDs around their house...

Powered down electronics use about 1W of power. This standby mode is 70 times that. Surely there's some middle ground there, considering, as I mentioned, every other electronic device is capable of it.

I mean, you wouldn't be very happy if your phone required 70% of full power to get background updates, would you? 

#23 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 16 November 2013 - 18:32

Powered down electronics use about 1W of power. This standby mode is 70 times that. Surely there's some middle ground there, considering, as I mentioned, every other electronic device is capable of it.

I mean, you wouldn't be very happy if your phone required 70% of full power to get background updates, would you? 

1W of power that still needs to be paid for :p

If you can't tell, I was joking.

#24 OP +RageOfFury

RageOfFury

AJ Lee/Alison Brie/JLH worshiper

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 16 November 2013 - 19:05

You all popped my bubble :/

:rofl:

#25 Ajapi

Ajapi

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 November 2013 - 19:32   Best Answer

The 70w standby power draw was an Ars Technica publishing error that has since been corrected. If you look at the current version of their hardware review (source) you will notice that standby mode draws 10w. The 70w figure only applies for a standby console while it's downloading/installing games and updates.

A.

#26 random_n

random_n

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:28

Power usage at running idle (be it downloading or just displaying the OS menu) seems high in general and it gives the impression that they may not be using all of the power scaling features yet. When my old Nehalem Core i7 system with all the trimmings can idle on the desktop with just a few extra watts, there's something afoot. It'll be interesting to see how the new Xbox fares with such similar hardware to the PS4. I have a feeling that they'll have an advantage with all of the work that's gone into Windows NT to make it run with strong power efficiency on mobile devices and servers alike.

It's worth noting that 70w of heat can overwhelm a small space in a fairly short period of time. Hopefully people aren't enclosing their new consoles in cabinets when they're intending to not be using it, or there had better be a very reliable thermal shutdown system. That goes for both the PS4 and the Xbox One. If the system froze at full power while doing an update, it certainly wouldn't be the first time a computer did that.

#27 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:37

My GF calls my room a spaceship with all the standby/pulsing lights :p

#28 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:39

My GF calls my room a spaceship with all the standby/pulsing lights :p

I know the feeling. I've had comments my room is like a Currys TV wall with all the screens I have lol

#29 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 November 2013 - 13:45

I know the feeling. I've had comments my room is like a Currys TV wall with all the screens I have lol

I had to change my PS Plus auto download time on the PS3 as well, use to come on about 3/4am and she would complain it would wake her up. Think I can sleep through anything lol. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!