"Preacher" TV show being prepared

screenie_17.jpg

At long last, Garth Ennis? controversial graphic novel ?Preacher? is finally making the transition from page to screen ? small screen, that is. After years of languishing in various stages of big and small screen development, AMC has ordered a pilot for a series adaptation of the story, which follows a preacher imbued with the voice of God as he hunts down the Lord himself, who has abandoned all creation, and forces Him to answer for His carelessness.

Badass Digest reports that AMC, in a bid to fill the void left by ?Breaking Bad,? is turning its sights to another comic book adaptation: ?Preacher,? based on the graphic novel by Garth Ennis. The book follows Jesse Custer, a boozy, small town preacher who is suddenly blessed/cursed with the Voice of God, leading him on a wild adventure to track down God himself, who has abandoned His creation. Along for the ride are Tulip, a hit woman who is also Jesse?s ex-girlfriend, and Cassidy, a hundred year-old Scottish vampire.

There have been various attempts over the years to adapt the story: Kevin Smith once tried to make a film with the Weinsteins and Sam Mendes was ? as recently as a few years ago ? involved with a miniseries at HBO. The most recent name attached was ?Eagle Eye? helmer DJ Caruso, and that was just in the last year or so. But the subject matter is tricky and controversial and, well ? difficult.

Src

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to this to be honest. I read the plot the other day it seemed really interesting. I hope they're not going to make it as gritty as it sounds.

I remember reading every single issue of Preacher from the first to the last over the course of 2 weeks because it was so good.  When I heard they were making a TV show, I became so excited......

And then I heard Seth Rogan would be involved.  *cries*

Bleeding Cool report that the pilot order for the small screen adaptation of Garth Ennis? and Steve Dillon?s Preacher has been given by Sony Pictures Television studio, and not AMC as was previously reported -- although the network will be handling US broadcasting for the show, while not actually have any control over its development. Seth Rogen hinted (pretty strongly) that he would be involved in some way, and it seems that he and writing partner Evan Goldberg have indeed worked on the pitch for Sony Pictures along with Breaking Bad series writer Sam Caitlin. But that's not all: Bleeding Cool also reckon that Garth Ennis is very pleased, and feels that Goldberg and Rogen have "finally captured the tone" of the comic. According to the site the writer would be an active consultant if the series moves forward.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=90243

That later sentence is intriguing. It's something completely different than what we're used to from Seth Rogen.

So...it's not going to be produced by AMC and Seth Rogen is one of the writers. Well that effectively killed any hype I had for this show.