PS4 sells through 1 million in N.A in 24hrs

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:08

at least some good news for ps4 fans. and they say console gaming is dead.

TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.

http://www.prnewswir...-232248401.html

#2 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:13

High preorders, but we all want to know the failure rate of that 1 million.

Console gaming isn't dead, of course not.

#3 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:14

Good news indeed. Let's hope Xbone sells well too next Friday and PS4 in Europe on the 29th. Like Yoshida said in an interview to Greg Miller (IGN) recently, Sony needs MS to succeed otherwise all the "console gaming is dying" hypberbole will come to fruition. We don't want our favorite games going to iOS and other tablets. :|

#4 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:16

I remember reading a prediction, that Sony backed, about selling 3 million units by year's end.***

1 mil down, 2mil to go.

#5 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:18

Good news indeed. Let's hope Xbone sells well too next Friday and PS4 in Europe on the 29th. Like Yoshida said in an interview to Greg Miller (IGN) recently, Sony needs MS to succeed otherwise all the "console gaming is dying" hypberbole will come to fruition. We don't want our favorite games going to iOS and other tablets. :|

That's just Sony trying to imply that they are that important to console gaming. They are not, whenever a company dies, another will rise out of the ashes. It happened during the last crash in the 80's and if Sony were to die, it would be no different now either.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:20

That sounds right, 3 million should be possible unless the problems are bigger than we think.     If they are more people will just hold off until a few months when they feel it's safer to buy it etc.

#7 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:22

I have no doubts ms is going to plow through these numbers. too many casuals wandering from the wii era,ready to hitch a ride + xbox360s massive strong n.a base .

#8 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1 9860

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:23

Well done Sony. 
1 down, no go get them other 3 :)

#9 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:29

I have no doubts ms is going to plow through these numbers. too many casuals wandering from the wii era,ready to hitch a ride + xbox360s massive strong n.a base .

I can almost guartantee world-wide numbers will now suddenly become important to report for MS :laugh:

Edit: But on a serious note, NA is Sony's weakest region too. I hope to God that PSN can stay up once Europe and Asian markets get their grubby little mitts on this thing.

#10 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:47

That's just Sony trying to imply that they are that important to console gaming. They are not, whenever a company dies, another will rise out of the ashes. It happened during the last crash in the 80's and if Sony were to die, it would be no different now either.

Sony are extremely important to console gaming whether or not you like them is meaningless.

Companies don't just rise with billions to spend on creating a console, let alone a successful one. Look at Ouya. If anyone was to say MS Sony or Nintendo aren't important, they're clearly not a gamer.

#11 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:17

Sony are extremely important to console gaming whether or not you like them is meaningless.

Companies don't just rise with billions to spend on creating a console, let alone a successful one. Look at Ouya. If anyone was to say MS Sony or Nintendo aren't important, they're clearly not a gamer.

Yeah well guess what, Nintendo was one of those companies to rise out of the ashes of the crash of 1983. They don't HAVE TO spend billions of bucks out of nowhere to be important.

<snip>

A crash will happen again at some point, especially when marketplaces get flooded with (indie) crap.
If Sony were to perrish, then there are other companies with enough content that could take over, like Apple or Google for example. Heck, the Steambox might even obliterate what we now know as console gaming in the near future.

Edited by Brian M., 17 November 2013 - 16:20.

#12 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:55

I think Xbox One should easily match that come Friday.  I can't see them not having at least 1 million preorders given how large the 360 base already is.  Long term however Microsoft needs to start making plans now because long term belongs to Sony and I say that as an overall Xbox fan.  Everybody knows that Xbox One will sell jack in Japan and frankly most of the Asian market.  The good thing for Microsoft is that the Japanese market is the smallest market for Sony and Nintendo as well (except portables).

The only way Microsoft can gain extra numbers long term to compensate for the loss of sales in Japan will be to make those exclusive deals with cable/satellite providers or even cell phone providers.  Sign up for two years of cable (which you are already paying for to begin with) get a $100 or $200  Xbox One.  That would sell a huge number of consoles to people who otherwise might not think of getting one but might say why not I'm already paying for the cable service.  Without those exclusive agreements I don't see how Microsoft can ultimately sell more consoles than Sony in the long term considering they will never sell anything in Japan.

#13 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 17 November 2013 - 13:09

Impressive, but will things hold up and continue with steady sales after the initial rush and the holidays?

I kinda doubt microsoft will match these numbers, atleast with this speed. They turned off many with their horrible initial plans(and not all will have went back, even with the big 180), they're forcing people to buy an accessory that is unwanted by many, and they're charging significantly more for a machine that is weaker. Microsoft would need more than luck to match or exceed sony's sales on day one.

#14 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 November 2013 - 13:24

I kinda doubt microsoft will match these numbers, atleast with this speed. They turned off many with their horrible initial plans(and not all will have went back, even with the big 180), they're forcing people to buy an accessory that is unwanted by many, and they're charging significantly more for a machine that is weaker. Microsoft would need more than luck to match or exceed sony's sales on day one.

Let's just wait and see.

#15 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 November 2013 - 13:35

Impressive, but will things hold up and continue with steady sales after the initial rush and the holidays?

I know what you're saying, but personally i'll put money on them matching, if not surpassing. We'll see though.

It's certainly an interesting ride this gen.