xbox one

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:32

Windows Store apps are not compiled for PPC :) not to mention the 360 GPU which is most likely not WDDM compliant.
And....not enough ram.
No HDMI in for TV

just some reasons I can think of now.

Finally an answer with some meat :p

Windows store? Don't really need it, plenty of apps for the major services already on XBL. It'd be nice though for the smaller ones I guess.

Plenty of RAM. Apps on X360 are very responsive. With a stripped down OS you also free up resources,

No HDMI in, good point, but with the push towards online services, cable viewer numbers could be much smaller in a few years. Even Microsoft is pushing with original programming on Netflix.

Again, we're talking about competing with the already successful and established devices on the market. X1 provides more functionality at the expense of cost. So aren't you automatically creating a niche hole for yourself and pushing yourself out the market if you can't beat Apple and the rest?

Disclaimer: I should have probably said I don't expect them to pick 360 over X1. Just thought it was worth talking about :p

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:37

Think of this as MS' VitaTV or Apple TV play. The idea is that they would release a $99 or less box that would be focused on the media side of things and perhaps also play arcade titles.

So then the X1 is merely the gaming console that also adds in all of those media features.

Interesting. So many people aren't buying the xbone for gaming period.  Explains a lot of the backlash for the ps4 when it as revealed to not include dlna/streaming.

Correction, a lot of people aren't buying the X1 or ps4 for gaming. I saw enough footage of the lines for the ps4 to see people comment that they weren't even gamers, but they just wanted the latest tech for media.

Early adopters are an interesting bunch.

#18 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:40

Finally an answer with some meat :p

Windows store? Don't really need it, plenty of apps for the major services already on XBL. It'd be nice though for the smaller ones I guess.
Plenty of RAM. Apps on X360 are very responsive. With a stripped down OS you also free up resources,
No HDMI in, good point, but with the push towards online services, cable viewer numbers could be much smaller in a few years. Even Microsoft is pushing with original programming on Netflix.

Don't need the windows store?

How in the world could they compete with say the Apple TV if they don't have a robust app market to support it? If you don't unify the stores across these devices, you lose a lot of potential and an advantage over the competition.

#19 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:58

Don't need the windows store?

How in the world could they compete with say the Apple TV if they don't have a robust app market to support it? If you don't unify the stores across these devices, you lose a lot of potential and an advantage over the competition.

What kind of apps do you need other than the media capabilities the console has and the apps already available on XBL?

Serious question, because I honestly don't see the need for apps on a Windows store for a device to play media. It's not a PC/tablet/laptop/phone. It sits in your media centre and plays movies/tv.

#20 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:12

What kind of apps do you need other than the media capabilities the console has and the apps already available on XBL?

Serious question, because I honestly don't see the need for apps on a Windows store for a device to play media. It's not a PC/tablet/laptop/phone. It sits in your media centre and plays movies/tv.

Its not as much about any one specific app, but more about the backend of the service. If its all unified, then its much easier for developers to support. Media apps of all kinds are more likely to come if your app store is robust and relatively easy to be a part of. It would means apps show up sooner and are updated more frequently.

Basically, I want to see something different. I want to see a more open app store model than the 360. That model is too restrictive and makes it impossible for anyone outside a select few companies to participate.

#21 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:33

If it comes with Kinect like functionality where you can control it with voice and gestures, the it's an instant buy for me.  I'm waiting for the actual XB1 and PS4 to drop in price before I get a console, but I would love an all media device based on the XB1 in the meantime.

Do you really want to yell at your device, instead of using the remote like we do for years now?

#22 Wapoz

Wapoz

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:55

Do you really want to yell at your device, instead of using the remote like we do for years now?

1. What's wrong with having additional functionality?  Apple is clearly headed the same way with their acquisition of PrimeSense.

2. The remote often gets lost in my house.... a lot.

3. Some things could be done faster by voice if implemented well.

4. I have a relative with really bad arthritis in her hands, she controls most her phone actions using voice.  She would love voice control on TV as well.

5. It will most likely include a remote for those who are more comfortable with that, or for those who feel the need to question others interest in a new product and its features.

#23 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:58

If it's as responsive as in all the videos so far, yes.

#24 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:13

Well, can be good for some people with problems. But thinking about it in normal use, it's just going to be pain in the ass. Was at my friends house when he was testing his new PS4 and every time the word "playstation" was said, the voice commands menu would jump in and interrupt anything on the screen. We had to be careful while we talked. And we weren't even talking in English.

I can see that problem happening while watching TV, even more. And not just from you or people in the room. What would happen if a person in the tv show/movie would start to demonstrate their similar device and your device in the room picked up his commands and pause/stop/change channels for you in the middle of what ever you were watching?

#25 xboxfan50

xboxfan50

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:15

If this cheaper Xbox One is real, I wonder if it would be based on x86, becasue if that's the case you may as well just buy/build a mini itx pc.

#26 OP vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:17

What would happen if a person in the tv show/movie would start to demonstrate their similar device and your device in the room picked up his commands and pause/stop/change channels for you in the middle of what ever you were watching?

it knows its not you,so nothing will happen.

#27 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:19

Didn't see that "recognition" on PS4 and didn't know that Xbox One had that for voice commands, outside of profile selection.

#28 glen8

glen8

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:26

mmmm, a cheap xbox media streamer.

Two things:

1.  When I suggested this on Neowin months ago, nobody thought it was a good idea

2.  Funny how when I sent an email in to MS also suggesting this when the Apple TV launched, MS replied back with 'use xbox360 and media center'

I knew it was a good idea lol  yay for me....yet again, delivering a ton of tech smackdown on neowin

This will sell well if they have a good media ecosystem.  They are getting there, just needs to be priced correctly

#29 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:04

Why not just drastically reduce the price of the 360 to be an entertainment device. It has all the same apps and services afterall.

Because 360 hardware SUCKS for running apps. Performance really sucks.

#30 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:20

Why not just drastically reduce the price of the 360 to be an entertainment device. It has all the same apps and services afterall.

I would imagine because they want to make more of Kinect and the HDMI pass through stuff for TV guides etc. For some we are looking forward to the TV integration as much as the gaming itself, if they can do this with the 360 then fine but I don't think they can do it as well as they plan to with the XB1 As well as the simple fact of that not every 360 out there has a Kinect and bundling Kinect will only raise the cost.