xbox one

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:38

I don't think it will have media center in it, that's on the way out but saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they market it as the Xbox Media Center.   If it's about media first and some light gaming on the side then it's fine.   And they've been known to reuse names from time to time.   I also agree that this could very well signal the end of media apps behind Gold, which could also play into why it's been delayed as well.

We know they have plans to re-add features from their original XB1 idea but tweaked a bit, like family sharing and so on.   Once they can add these more gamer specific features to Gold then keeping media apps behind Gold isn't needed because they've had been replaced by something else.  The incentive to get Gold is still there, and maybe even better now with game specific things compared to media apps that more gamers should sign up for it compared to the 360.

As for the new model, if it's sold through the cable providers as a set-top box option it will be a success and it will introduce even more homes to Xbox and might get some to buy the full XB1 to get more gaming.

#47 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:59

Incredibly stupid plan if true, to be honest. The only thing the xbone offers that devices which already exist(and are cheaper) do not, is kinect. And that's hardly worth it. And to make matters worse for this idea, modern TV's themselves are able to do much of the same media stuff an xbox could. Further reducing the point of this second and gameless xbone.

who says its 100% game less?  It will probably gave "arcade" titles and if its based on ARM or low power X86, it could also have app store access as well.

Also, smart tv's suck unless you get one that you full well know the OS that's running on it and have user serviceable parts in the back (like the Intel TV's some places sell) - i at least know Microsoft has committed to keeping things updated.  How many Smart TV companies keep their software updated without forcing you to buy a whole freaking new tv?

#48 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:09

Cost to maintain the older parts?   It's much cheaper to just make a stripped down XB1 that uses, say, 80% of the same parts as the main XB1 than to keep the different production line for the 360 going.  

Anyways, with the ability to go digital for even AAA games, MS selling a XB1 "lite" as a pure media box but with the ability to allow people to download a AAA game if they wanted to sounds good to me.   It's working the market from the other way, actually from both directions at once.  You have the main XB1 that works from core gamers towards casual+media and you have a XB1 lite that works from media+casual towards core gaming for those who choose to give it a try.

Sounds like a win win to me, specially if these are at the price point where they can be a set-top box option through a cable service provider.

I don't think that will happen though.  Allowing people purchasing the "lite" version to download and play AAA titles would eliminate the market for the Full XBox One.  They would essentially be saying, here's the XBox One, it costs $ 500 and is what you need to play these amazing games, and here's the XBox One Lite, which costs (I dunno, half that maybe?  Less?) that can play all of these games...

In fact, I think they're more or less (Assuming this device is real) possitioning it as an entertainment device solely, with no games.  If it was going to be for gaming, Microsoft would not have gotten rid of the Arcade branding, as they would need something to differentiate games available on the Lite version and content available on the Full XBox One...

It just isn't adding up to gaming coming to this Lite device to me...

#49 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:32

I don't think that will happen though.  Allowing people purchasing the "lite" version to download and play AAA titles would eliminate the market for the Full XBox One.  They would essentially be saying, here's the XBox One, it costs $ 500 and is what you need to play these amazing games, and here's the XBox One Lite, which costs (I dunno, half that maybe?  Less?) that can play all of these games...

In fact, I think they're more or less (Assuming this device is real) possitioning it as an entertainment device solely, with no games.  If it was going to be for gaming, Microsoft would not have gotten rid of the Arcade branding, as they would need something to differentiate games available on the Lite version and content available on the Full XBox One...

It just isn't adding up to gaming coming to this Lite device to me...

I'm tossing out ideas really but I wouldn't be surprised if we do get arcade style, from the store, indie games and so on for it.  Then they can upsell people a full XB1 (by that time the price could be $399 even) to play the big AAA games.   If this is a $199 box it should have gaming, if it's less then I don't know, maybe not.