The PS4 does voice commands without the need of the camera peripheral

Oh really?

Well then I'll give this some testing tonight.

I really don't like that headset though, so it won't be very comfortable. From what I herd, the commands are pretty limited, so I'll see what I can get done with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Oh really?

Well then I'll give this some testing tonight.

I really don't like that headset though, so it won't be very comfortable. From what I herd, the commands are pretty limited, so I'll see what I can get done with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Yup supposed to be very limited. It was even mentioned as a joke on the latest South Park. 

• Like 2

I have no desire to permanently wear what looks like a very uncomfortable headset just to get my console to load an app, pause a blu ray, search the web, etc. Also what about other people in the room? No thanks, I prefer the Kinect approach.

• Like 2

Voice commands work through this

EarSet.jpg

Try yourself if you already have your PS3.

osd_basic_voice.jpg

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/voice.html

It does voice commands, not voice recognition, major difference.

Also, that. Seems awfully awkward when watching a movie and I want to pause it don't you think?

Multi array microphone is somewhat more practical.

• Like 2

It does voice commands, not voice recognition, major difference.

Also, that. Seems awfully awkward when watching a movie and I want to pause it don't you think?

Multi array microphone is somewhat more practical.

Where did I say voice recognition in my title or post?

Voice commands work through this

EarSet.jpg

Try yourself if you already have your PS3.

osd_basic_voice.jpg

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/voice.html

Basically similar to a PC that does NOT use a mic built into a webcam.

(Most PCs - and PC users - use microphones built into webcams for convenience, or due to them NOT having any other mic - it does not mean - and never has meant - that it's the only input that can be used.  It can be voice-input or VoIP; in that respect, a console is not merely little different, but no different, than any other PC.  I've had a separate microphone for use with applications since 1996 - the application and OS have been completely irrelevant as long as the hardware was supported.  Windows has supported some form of voice control - albeit in rudimentary form - since Windows 9x; it can be upgraded by installing any version of Dragon Naturally Speaking supported by the Windows OS in question; the same applies to OS X.  No; Windows 8.x - or even Windows Server 2012R2 - has NOT changed this, though why anyone would want to voice-control a server - other than because it can be done - would do so.  To expect a console to be any different from any other PC in this aspect would be ludicrous.)

Uhm.. for those saying they prefer the kinect approach.. users CAN buy the PS Eye, thankfully not included, and use it for the voice control.

Uhm.. for those saying they prefer the kinect approach.. users CAN buy the PS Eye, thankfully not included, and use it for the voice control.

I think everyone is aware of that, but even that doesn't make up for how poorly implemented voice controls are on the PS4.

I believe there are more differences at play here than just using an earbud vs the ps eye. I spelled those out in the other thread.

Lets also keep in mind that this just wasn't an interest for Sony and so its not shocking that the feature would be lacking. I don't think we need to make this a defense of the ps4 or something about the X1. Its just about evaluating one features on the console. Hopefully everyone keeps that in mind.

I think everyone is aware of that, but even that doesn't make up for how poorly implemented voice controls are on the PS4.

Considering voice controls aren't needed in the first place.. I don't see why it needs to have an amazing implementation.  However, for those that do want it, I am sure they will be improved over time, as voice recognition/control is 100% software based.

Man, that earbud sure looks crappy. Sony sure is going for the cheap on the PS4.

Is there a list of commands it can do?

Why is it ever post you make in regards to sony has to be bashing the ps4?  The system itself is by no means cheap, it is a very solid build, plagued by manufacturing issues.  The system and components are great, and the engineers that designed and developed did an amazing job with the ps4 and I can't wait to see what the future holds for this amazing piece of gaming technology.

Why is it ever post you make in regards to sony has to be bashing the ps4?  The system itself is by no means cheap, it is a very solid build, plagued by manufacturing issues.  The system and components are great, and the engineers that designed and developed did an amazing job with the ps4 and I can't wait to see what the future holds for this amazing piece of gaming technology.

I'm sorry, but as much as I agree that no one should be bashing the ps4 unfairly, I think your going a little overboard yourself.

The included headset is cheap. This does not mean the ps4 itself is cheap. Indeed, apart from some possible manufacturing issues, the console itself is built very well and it most definitely has the hardware to provide great gaming experiences.

However, its not perfect and to ignore such things would be foolish. These consoles are amazing hardware wise, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking everything Sony or MS is doing here is an amazing achievement.

I'm sorry, but as much as I agree that no one should be bashing the ps4 unfairly, I think your going a little overboard yourself.

The included headset is cheap. This does not mean the ps4 itself is cheap. Indeed, apart from some possible manufacturing issues, the console itself is built very well and it most definitely has the hardware to provide great gaming experiences.

However, its not perfect and to ignore such things would be foolish. These consoles are amazing hardware wise, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking everything Sony or MS is doing here is an amazing achievement.

I wasn't talking about the headset, I agree it looks cheap, and you said it was.  I was talking about the ps4 unit.  Not the headset that comes with it, and I don't think sony is "going for cheap with the ps4".  I think it was definitely added last minute, as a "Well it had one too"

Considering voice controls aren't needed in the first place.. I don't see why it needs to have an amazing implementation.  However, for those that do want it, I am sure they will be improved over time, as voice recognition/control is 100% software based.

It's not 100% software based. Having a bad quality microphone will make it harder to recognise commands no matter how good your software is. Having an array of microphones will also allow you to isolate specific sounds and directionality.

It's not 100% software based. Having a bad quality microphone will make it harder to recognise commands no matter how good your software is. Having an array of microphones will also allow you to isolate specific sounds and directionality.

My point was that new commands can be added, yes a decent mic or mics are required to get the best results.. but added functionality is 100% software.  You can have the best mic in the world, but if the speech -> control isn't there it doesn't do you any good.

I wasn't interested in voice commands so it matters little to me, but seeing as that headset is also supposed to be the voice chat headset I'm inclined to ask our current owners if sony has sent out the patch/update, whatever, to allow Bluetooth headset communication yet?

My point was that new commands can be added, yes a decent mic or mics are required to get the best results.. but added functionality is 100% software.  You can have the best mic in the world, but if the speech -> control isn't there it doesn't do you any good.

Exactly. If the system isn't built with commands in mind, a good mic won't help you. You need a combo of good hardware and good software.

A really good voice control system is not easy to pull off. You can put together a simple system with basic support without a ton of effort, but to really make it standout, you have to pit in a lot more effort.

I wasn't interested in voice commands so it matters little to me, but seeing as that headset is also supposed to be the voice chat headset I'm inclined to ask our current owners if sony has sent out the patch/update, whatever, to allow Bluetooth headset communication yet?

They have not yet.

• Like 2