Are you an early adopter?

Are you an early adopter?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an early adopter?

• Yep. Latest and greatest. I am willing to take the gamble!
    • If I really want that particular product I will purchase on day one.
    • Never! Let some other sucker deal with the stress and frustration!
    • Other Specify.
  2. 2. If you are an early adopter, how frequently have products had issues?

• A lot of the time. I must be a particularly unlucky early adopter.
    • A few times or no more often than regular products have issues.
    • Never. I gamble and win, baby.
    • Other. Specify.

Simply enough question. With some of the issues being reported with the PS4 and the general truth that products new to the market are buggy and have higher failure rates than subsequent releases/revision I was interested in how many people on here adopt early or wait it out and let everyone else deal with the frustration.

Edit: If you are an early adopter which products in the near future do you intend on purchasing? (PS4, Xbox One, etc.)

With games consoles I usually give it a while for teething problems to be ironed out. Generally launch games aren't very good quality anyway as they tend to be rushed out. 

Some products are great throughout their whole lifespan though from start to finish without any issues.. like by Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 5 smartphones.

I've been an early adopter of every Xbox as well as the first iPad, and Windows Phone 7.5; only issue was with 1 RROD on the Xbox 360, but a round trip fixing took less than 1 week, everything else was fine.

I wait a few years to buy a newly released product. I didn't buy the ps3 until 2009 in which it was pretty matured by then, had better and more games and Sony refined the size of the ps3. Also of course, the price usually goes down too.

I was with iOS for 3 years because every other touchscreen phone on the market at the time (personally) felt horrible in comparison.  I was alble to put up with it's initial feature limitations (not being able to send MMS, not being able to record video, etc.), features that I had enjoyed for years on my Tmobile Dash running Winmo, because the overall experience on iOS was better- so I was patient enough to wait for Apple to solve them. 

When WP7 debuted, I examined every bit of media and articles about it, and made the decision to switch because I felt that even with WP's limitations at the time (iOS had grown quite feature rich by then), WP would offer me a far more enjoyable user experience that would trump those limitations while waiting for MS to solve the feature gap.  I purchased a Samsung focus on day 1, and I've been an extremely pleased WP user since (now own a Lumia 920), despite Android/iOS users constantly berating my choice or insisting I admit my choice is inferior to their preference lol.

Depends on the product. Products that could be called "evolutionary" I'm usually comfortable with buying day one.. new models of existing phones/tablets, computer parts, etc..  still a risk of course but, in my experiences anyway, I haven't had more DOA's there than from buying stuff that's been around a while too, it happens but typically a positive experience.   Products that are new from the ground up I usually try to avoid until a few weeks later, let the reviews roll in, etc.  The thing with the PS4 seems a bit of an exception to what usually happens though, I'd expect some problems sure but not on this scale, even if you believe in the sabotage theory (I'm undecided but plausible), it should have been caught by Sony's QA.

I'm an early adopter of Xbox One, which hasn't had any problems yet because it's 150 miles away. Is it legal for me to go up to the UPS distribution center and take my package?

Back on topic, I also got the Dreamcast, GBA, PS2 and GTX Titans on launch day, never had problems with those either.

I've only been an early adopter once, with the 3ds. And i haven't had any problems. My black launch day 3ds still works great to this day.

I'm an early adopter for things that I know 100% I will buy anyway.

Systems I've gotten on day one or shortly after not including the PS4:

Sega Genesis

GB Pocket

GB Color

Sega Saturn

PSX

GBA

PS2

PS3

I can say I've never had any issues with any of them. The PS2 still continues to play games. Never had the BLOD on the PS3. Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really an "Early Adopter" outside of videogames usually. I did pre-order the PS4.  The ps2 I got for christmas about a year after launch.   The PS3 I bought about 6 months after launch.  Didn't have an issue with either of those.   Game wise though, I pre-ordered all wow expansions from TBC up.  Killzone SF, GW2, Destiny.  My PS4 has the BLOD, got a replacement unit, and have had 0 issues.

i'm usually a 2nd or 3rd generation adopter while i work out my needs instead of falling for all the "you know you want it" hype. oh and let others do the beta-testing. thank you very much.

I sometimes decide to get things in their first generation (for example, the PS3). Never had any issues, thankfully.

EDIT: I haven't gone for a PS4 yet, but that's because I'm waiting for a wider selection of games, and I may as well let them iron out the kinks while I wait.

First part of poll I voted never!

Shouldn't have to vote on second part, if that's the way some one votes on first part, but was forced to. Voted "other" on the second part!

I'm an early adopter, i personally don't believe we should wait until the next revision because if they deem a product good enough for market then i expect it to work as it should, i refuse to be a paying beta tester for these big companies? fortunately i've never been hit with any major issues with any new products but if i did i wouldn't return it and accept it. I'd return it and cut ties, as far as i am concerned there is no excuse for it.

• 2 weeks later...

First part of poll I voted never!

Shouldn't have to vote on second part, if that's the way some one votes on first part, but was forced to. Voted "other" on the second part!

I don't know whether you can make multiple question polls only ask for one answer to one question.

I'm not usually an early adopter except for the occasional video game. Having the latest and greatest tech can be fun but it's also expensive and sometimes risky.