• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,249 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:03

Another one of complex's "discussion" topics.

Does anyone know or remember when gaming went from a form of entertainment to a hostile defence of a piece of hardware/software? The hostile nature of a lot of gamers how seem to me to be a relativity new phenomenon. I remember as a kid if you owned one system and your friend owned another you'd defend your system, but it was rarely hostile. In fact, you'd exchange systems in order to play the games of the other system (if you could convince your parents to let you).

Now if you go onto any video site doing any reviews the comment section is awash with what can only be described as damn-near psychotic levels of hatred and bile from fanboys of all gaming persuasions. Some of the bickering on here is annoying but it is down-right civil compared to the craziness of your average YouTube video. I am curious to know if anyone has an explanation for this? DO people feel if they have paid for a certain system it is a matter of pride to defend it? As if not doing so will convince them they've wasted their money despite the fact they are otherwise happy with it? Is this just like supporting a sports team? You love your team and you can't understand why anyone would support a different one?

I can understand people getting agitated and angry when debating religion, or politics, or the economy. Ya know, #### that can really affect you. But a gaming system? Really? It's entirely trivial.

Just askin'  :D

(Note: I know some people think I am a Sony fanboy, and I kind of am because it has been the console in my house for years, but I don't think I have ever been abusive or hateful if I have advocated for the PS).

(Note 2: I am also aware that a topic of this subject matter is likely to cause a lot of the exact thing I am asking to be explained to me. Perhaps if you only have a snide or sarcastic comment you could go and post it on twitter or Facebook and not derail this topic? Please?)

#2 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:05

Fanboys have always been hostile.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:12

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and most elite human alive.

Whereas if you encounter these people in person, they'll cower in the corner over the gentlest of disagreements.

#4 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• 2,193 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:14

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and more elite human alive.

Whereas if you encounter these people in person, they'll cower in the corner over the gentlest of disagreements.

Oh, you mean the "PC Master Race" freaks? Jeez, I hate the PC gamers the most. They think they're everything.

#5 OP compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• 7,249 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:19

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and more elite human alive.

OK. But for what purpose? How would you derive self-worth out of defending a device in your house. I have a Simpson fridge in my kitchen, what's yours? A GE? You're a ######! Only wankers cool & freeze their food with a General Electrics fridge. See? Stupid. What do I care where you store your food?

(Note: I don't think you're a ######, just illustrating a point)  :laugh:

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:19

Oh, you mean the "PC Master Race" freaks? Jeez, I hate the PC gamers the most. They think they're everything.

Yeah I guess it can be anywhere there's a level of anonymity though.  Kids on Xbox Live or such are fearless with their trash talking and disrespect. They'd never do something like that in person to a stranger since they'd immediately get knocked out.

#7 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:20

this. is/ war

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,988 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:21

People defend everything they like.  It isn't just video games but software, phones, tv shows, movies, etc.  The problem with video games is that there is a following (more often than not) of a brand.  I remember as a kid I had never owned a console until I was 12 or something (ps2 was my first).  I would play my neighbors sega genesis.  I remember I told my friend about a sonic game and he laughed at me, and told me Sega sucked.  He told me he had something way way better.  I went over to his house and he had a PS1 and FF7.  

Saying one console sucks, or is worse than another has been around since consoles became normal gaming devices.  The problem is that if you defend a console, or say something less than perfect about a competing console/brand you are labeled a fanboy, part of the defence force, etc.  

#9 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,690 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:22

How/When did gaming become so hostile?

Easy. When it became popular. In the early days the Xbox live community was actually good. Then came the COD generation.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:26

How/When did gaming become so hostile?

Easy. When it became popular. In the early days the Xbox live community was actually good. Then came the COD generation.

This x10.  Also part of that problem is that more and more parents are babysitting their kids by giving them an Xbox/PS3/etc.  When kids experience the profanity and hostility of adults at such a young age, it's going to rub off on them.

I remember growing up sucking at Punch-out and Radracer on NES, but if I had somebody swearing and ridiculing me every time I lost, I imagine I would have gotten a bit screwed up.

#11 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:27

I rest my case.

#12 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,236 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

WAR

#13 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• 2,193 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

I rest my case.

Except that I don't have a console in my apartment.

#14 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,152 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:28

There always have been fanboys. It dates back to the SNES and Genesis days.

I think the main difference is back then both Nintendo and Sega were gaming only companies. So pretty much all fanboys were gamers and liked games a lot. They were playing games on a regular basis, they were reading magazine and they knew their **** well. Most of them were playing games from the other side too cause well they liked to play good games.

Sony and Microsoft are companies involved in a lot of markets. Their fans base goes fan beyond the scope of gaming. Now you have paid advocate like Paul thurrott commenting on gaming. I'm not saying he doesn't play games but this guy's love for Microsoft goes far far beyond the scope of gaming ($$$).

It's sad but this is the way it is. Console gaming is now cool and trendy. Luckily PC gaming is still around for the geek in me XD

#15 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,816 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:29

I was actually thinking about this the other day and in my mind, it seemed to get much, MUCH worse around the Playstation generation...  I don't know if that's true or just how I perceived it, but it seemed like before that people would have different consoles and the response would be "Oh cool, wanna play some games on that?" whereas with the Playstation it was "Pfft, why don't you have a Playstation?"  LOL

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!