How/When did gaming become so hostile?

Another one of complex's "discussion" topics.

Does anyone know or remember when gaming went from a form of entertainment to a hostile defence of a piece of hardware/software? The hostile nature of a lot of gamers how seem to me to be a relativity new phenomenon. I remember as a kid if you owned one system and your friend owned another you'd defend your system, but it was rarely hostile. In fact, you'd exchange systems in order to play the games of the other system (if you could convince your parents to let you).

Now if you go onto any video site doing any reviews the comment section is awash with what can only be described as damn-near psychotic levels of hatred and bile from fanboys of all gaming persuasions. Some of the bickering on here is annoying but it is down-right civil compared to the craziness of your average YouTube video. I am curious to know if anyone has an explanation for this? DO people feel if they have paid for a certain system it is a matter of pride to defend it? As if not doing so will convince them they've wasted their money despite the fact they are otherwise happy with it? Is this just like supporting a sports team? You love your team and you can't understand why anyone would support a different one?

I can understand people getting agitated and angry when debating religion, or politics, or the economy. Ya know, ###### that can really affect you. But a gaming system? Really? It's entirely trivial.

Just askin'  :D

(Note: I know some people think I am a Sony fanboy, and I kind of am because it has been the console in my house for years, but I don't think I have ever been abusive or hateful if I have advocated for the PS).

(Note 2: I am also aware that a topic of this subject matter is likely to cause a lot of the exact thing I am asking to be explained to me. Perhaps if you only have a snide or sarcastic comment you could go and post it on twitter or Facebook and not derail this topic? Please?)

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and most elite human alive.

Whereas if you encounter these people in person, they'll cower in the corner over the gentlest of disagreements.

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and more elite human alive.

Whereas if you encounter these people in person, they'll cower in the corner over the gentlest of disagreements.

Oh, you mean the "PC Master Race" freaks? Jeez, I hate the PC gamers the most. They think they're everything.

A keyboard and computer screen empowers kids to pretend they are the biggest, baddest, and more elite human alive.

OK. But for what purpose? How would you derive self-worth out of defending a device in your house. I have a Simpson fridge in my kitchen, what's yours? A GE? You're a ######! Only ###### cool & freeze their food with a General Electrics fridge. See? Stupid. What do I care where you store your food?

(Note: I don't think you're a ######, just illustrating a point)  :laugh:

• Like 1

Oh, you mean the "PC Master Race" freaks? Jeez, I hate the PC gamers the most. They think they're everything.

Yeah I guess it can be anywhere there's a level of anonymity though.  Kids on Xbox Live or such are fearless with their trash talking and disrespect. They'd never do something like that in person to a stranger since they'd immediately get knocked out.

People defend everything they like.  It isn't just video games but software, phones, tv shows, movies, etc.  The problem with video games is that there is a following (more often than not) of a brand.  I remember as a kid I had never owned a console until I was 12 or something (ps2 was my first).  I would play my neighbors sega genesis.  I remember I told my friend about a sonic game and he laughed at me, and told me Sega sucked.  He told me he had something way way better.  I went over to his house and he had a PS1 and FF7.  

Saying one console sucks, or is worse than another has been around since consoles became normal gaming devices.  The problem is that if you defend a console, or say something less than perfect about a competing console/brand you are labeled a fanboy, part of the defence force, etc.  

How/When did gaming become so hostile?

Easy. When it became popular. In the early days the Xbox live community was actually good. Then came the COD generation.

This x10.  Also part of that problem is that more and more parents are babysitting their kids by giving them an Xbox/PS3/etc.  When kids experience the profanity and hostility of adults at such a young age, it's going to rub off on them.

I remember growing up sucking at Punch-out and Radracer on NES, but if I had somebody swearing and ridiculing me every time I lost, I imagine I would have gotten a bit screwed up.

There always have been fanboys. It dates back to the SNES and Genesis days.

I think the main difference is back then both Nintendo and Sega were gaming only companies. So pretty much all fanboys were gamers and liked games a lot. They were playing games on a regular basis, they were reading magazine and they knew their **** well. Most of them were playing games from the other side too cause well they liked to play good games.

Sony and Microsoft are companies involved in a lot of markets. Their fans base goes fan beyond the scope of gaming. Now you have paid advocate like Paul thurrott commenting on gaming. I'm not saying he doesn't play games but this guy's love for Microsoft goes far far beyond the scope of gaming ($$$).

It's sad but this is the way it is. Console gaming is now cool and trendy. Luckily PC gaming is still around for the geek in me XD

I was actually thinking about this the other day and in my mind, it seemed to get much, MUCH worse around the Playstation generation...  I don't know if that's true or just how I perceived it, but it seemed like before that people would have different consoles and the response would be "Oh cool, wanna play some games on that?" whereas with the Playstation it was "Pfft, why don't you have a Playstation?"  LOL

You pathetic inferior species will always hate us for our superior gaming systems /s

• Like 3

Honestly the amount of vitriol in the gaming community has me tempted to abandon ALL gaming altogether. It isn't just "console wars." It's things such as the absolutely ridiculous, embarassing reaction to the Mass Effect 3 ending, "class action lawsuits" being threatened everytime one little thing doesn't go perfectly according to someone's expectations, and death-threats being sent to David Vonderhaar, Stephen Toulouse, Jennifer Hepler, and anyone else who may or may not have done something to upset fans of who-knows-what.

I think people have taken it to a whole new level recently. I don't think they understand, that they are PAYING to walk around and advertise for a company, one of which literally cares less about you than it does its own workers. People become a virus in the sense that they just spread so much hatred towards whatever they don't like (as they don't understand, their opinion is NOT the only one that matters in this world) and that in turn causes other people to listen and say the same stuff towards even more people.

It's one thing to defend, I understand that. People ask me all the time why I don't have an Android phone yet - my rebuttal? The iPhone works for me and I see no reason to change...and then they'll go on an assault of 50 reasons why I'm dumb for not having the latest fad device. (Here's a funny fact, I refused to abandon my Windows Mobile Tilt 2 until the iPhone had enough features to satisfy me, like oh I don't know MMS, Exchange, etc).

The console war has taken it that much further, so much in fact that I just said screw getting one altogether because I'll end up with the exact same dilemma I did last generation - I'll have to buy both consoles and all of the crap that goes along with it just to play with my friends who are hardcore "xbox/ps suxz0rs" fanboys. I decided to build a rig and start playing on the PC again, because afterall that hobby is what got me deeply into computers and that's what still motivates me to have fun with a build. The fact that I'm not going to be able to play with console friends means I'll be able to put down the controller and go live life when I want to and not be tied to TWO different consoles with two different characters (BF4 for example) with two sets of friends. 

I have no brand loyalty - if Samsung released something that I liked and the features I wanted I would drop my iPhone in a heart beat. When I build computers I tend to use Corsair products and someone tried to attack me about THAT and my response was I have a preference for their products because I feel their build quality is impressive in comparison to the industry normal and if they could show me a better product that impressed me as much I would gladly change but by no means am I "corsair till I die breh"...and that just blew their mind.

• Like 3

interesting topic. its not exclusively for "gaming". you can see this more as a pattern across our societies. its kind of a globalisation phenomenon. we all cry for liberalisation and openness but in reality we live more and more the opposite. maybe one of the many reason why we eagerly defend what we think is "ours". my gaming system is the best .. bla bla

I believe there has always been this sense of "fanboyism". Even when I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's back when Nintendo and Sega were the big two game companies.  Back then though, you only got into arguments and disagreement with people locally. 

Now with the internet,  people are arguing with others globally about which brand is better and you get what you have now.

The console war has taken it that much further, so much in fact that I just said screw getting one altogether because I'll end up with the exact same dilemma I did last generation - I'll have to buy both consoles and all of the crap that goes along with it just to play with my friends who are hardcore "xbox/ps suxz0rs" fanboys.

+1

Totally agree with this.

There is some strong fanfare of the Dreamcast, RIP. The Dreamcast had pretty good graphics in its day.